WootBot

quality posts: 16 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Aluminum Alloy Tri-Fidget LED Spinner

Last Purchase:
49 minutes ago

yourfavgui

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yourfavgui

any details about the type of bearings? silent or not?

gwiz182

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gwiz182

Any details on the LEDs? Are they white or multi-colored?

TruBluTopaz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TruBluTopaz

As a high school teacher I beg you not to get these things for your kid. I love ya Woot, but this is, if possible, the biggest distraction device since Candy Crush and Pokemon Go. Hang them from your Christmas tree, use them to scare away grackles, put them on your hubs to look cool, but don't buy them for your kids. I swear China invented this just to distract us from what's going on in the world.

Trublutopaz, Queen of the Nil (sic)

kmartind

quality posts: 45 Private Messages kmartind
TruBluTopaz wrote:As a high school teacher I beg you not to get these things for your kid. I love ya Woot, but this is, if possible, the biggest distraction device since Candy Crush and Pokemon Go. Hang them from your Christmas tree, use them to scare away grackles, put them on your hubs to look cool, but don't buy them for your kids. I swear China invented this just to distract us from what's going on in the world.

Be careful what you wish for. If they stop spinning these they'll just start flipping water bottles again. I think it's already far too late to discourage anyone from obtaining them. Instead I would suggest an "If you have them I don't want to see them, I don't want to hear them" policy.

Cbmpez

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Cbmpez

Fidget Spinners are toys; incredibly distracting toys that make it nearly impossible for kids to focus on anything other than the spinner. They are the latest rage with our elementary school children, those with and without attention issues, and I no longer allow them in class. The fidget cube is an option that seems to work well for many of our kids - as long as they don't use the clicker feature. It's a bit tough for anyone to attend when there is non-stop audible clicking going on in the room.

TruBluTopaz

kmartind wrote:Be careful what you wish for. If they stop spinning these they'll just start flipping water bottles again. I think it's already far too late to discourage anyone from obtaining them. Instead I would suggest an "If you have them I don't want to see them, I don't want to hear them" policy.

Because that's worked so well for cell phones?

TruBluTopaz

Cbmpez wrote:Fidget Spinners are toys; incredibly distracting toys that make it nearly impossible for kids to focus on anything other than the spinner. They are the latest rage with our elementary school children, those with and without attention issues, and I no longer allow them in class. The fidget cube is an option that seems to work well for many of our kids - as long as they don't use the clicker feature. It's a bit tough for anyone to attend when there is non-stop audible clicking going on in the room.

Thank you. I talked to my son in law, who is actually a child behavioral psychologist and his take is that there are probably 10% of the kids who have these things who are actually using it for the purpose intended, which is to calm anxiety. Most of those kids wouldn't use it in class. He prefers the cube, which can be manipulated in a kid's pocket without distracting others. It seems parents are using this for self-diagnosed ADHD. For more, read here: http://time.com/money/4774133/fidget-spinners-adhd-anxiety-stress/

kmartind

TruBluTopaz wrote:Because that's worked so well for cell phones?

It will obviously vary widely between districts/administrators/teachers but with adequate administrative support, taking away any device that is out of the purse/pocket (or that goes off) during class time definitely can work as long as the policy is clearly documented, is communicated to both students and parents regularly, and is consistently enforced from day 1. A lot of problems seem to stem partly from ambiguous policies, lack of enforcement, and absence of a clear escalation path for non-compliance.

In any case, I certainly wouldn't advise parents to buy these to "help their kids focus" but I also don't think most parents or students even believe that's why they have them (though they may try use it as a convenient excuse). They're mostly just toys, and are a popular fad, which will probably pass eventually, like the silly bands, and the rainbow loom, and the Pokemon, and water bottle flips, etc.

jbitzerjr

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jbitzerjr
TruBluTopaz wrote:As a high school teacher I beg you not to get these things for your kid. I love ya Woot, but this is, if possible, the biggest distraction device since Candy Crush and Pokemon Go. Hang them from your Christmas tree, use them to scare away grackles, put them on your hubs to look cool, but don't buy them for your kids. I swear China invented this just to distract us from what's going on in the world.

As a parent whose taxes pay your salary, I'd suggest get better at your job and learn to engage students so they're not so bored they need to play with a toy during your lectures.

jbitzerjr

Cbmpez wrote:Fidget Spinners are toys; incredibly distracting toys that make it nearly impossible for kids to focus on anything other than the spinner. They are the latest rage with our elementary school children, those with and without attention issues, and I no longer allow them in class. The fidget cube is an option that seems to work well for many of our kids - as long as they don't use the clicker feature. It's a bit tough for anyone to attend when there is non-stop audible clicking going on in the room.

Again, you're just not doing your job if the kids need a distraction from your boring class.

jbitzerjr

kmartind wrote:It will obviously vary widely between districts/administrators/teachers but with adequate administrative support, taking away any device that is out of the purse/pocket (or that goes off) during class time definitely can work as long as the policy is clearly documented, is communicated to both students and parents regularly, and is consistently enforced from day 1. A lot of problems seem to stem partly from ambiguous policies, lack of enforcement, and absence of a clear escalation path for non-compliance.

In any case, I certainly wouldn't advise parents to buy these to "help their kids focus" but I also don't think most parents or students even believe that's why they have them (though they may try use it as a convenient excuse). They're mostly just toys, and are a popular fad, which will probably pass eventually, like the silly bands, and the rainbow loom, and the Pokemon, and water bottle flips, etc.

I personally think keeping the children engaged is part of the job requirements for a teacher. If they can't perform their job functions, there should be a better method of weeding out poor performance from a compulsory industry that the consumer is forced to pay for with little control over product quality thanks to government and union protectionism.

djlushious

quality posts: 1 Private Messages djlushious

I came to find more information about the quality of these spinners Woot is selling and walked away from a political dumpster fire. Thanks for the help! :-|

chunet

quality posts: 1 Private Messages chunet
jbitzerjr wrote:I personally think keeping the children engaged is part of the job requirements for a teacher. If they can't perform their job functions, there should be a better method of weeding out poor performance from a compulsory industry that the consumer is forced to pay for with little control over product quality thanks to government and union protectionism.

No matter how engaging a teacher is, kids are going to want to play with toys. Blaming the teacher for the short comings of a parent who allows their kid to go to school with "toys" is just a short coming of the parent. My daughter wanted one of these things since "ALL" the kids have them, but even she knows that it shouldnt be brought to school.

Paying taxes and having kids doesnt make you an expert on teachers.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 999 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

gwiz182 wrote:Any details on the LEDs? Are they white or multi-colored?

Multi-color LED.

To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 2 hours!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

jbitzerjr

chunet wrote:No matter how engaging a teacher is, kids are going to want to play with toys. Blaming the teacher for the short comings of a parent who allows their kid to go to school with "toys" is just a short coming of the parent. My daughter wanted one of these things since "ALL" the kids have them, but even she knows that it shouldnt be brought to school.

Paying taxes and having kids doesnt make you an expert on teachers.

I didn't say it made me an expert, nice straw man. Maybe they should do more than whine about the amount they get paid for 9 months a year of work and how hard it is. If it was so hard, new education majors would easily be able to find jobs and teachers wouldn't work until they were 90. If you can't control your classroom, you have no business being a teacher. It's funny to me how an entire industry has gotten a pass for poor performance because the people paying them are also the ones educated by them, and are thus too stupid to see the bum deal they get.

kmartind

About those spinners...

It actually is slightly difficult to find reasonably priced all metal spinners with LEDs, unless you buy from overseas and wait weeks for them, or take a risk on zero feedback or "just launched" sellers (probably a >80% chance of just getting scammed on those; close to 100% if the price is also too good to be true).

The shipping kind of kills it though (especially if only getting one).

brucem105

quality posts: 3 Private Messages brucem105
jbitzerjr wrote:I didn't say it made me an expert, nice straw man. Maybe they should do more than whine about the amount they get paid for 9 months a year of work and how hard it is. If it was so hard, new education majors would easily be able to find jobs and teachers wouldn't work until they were 90. If you can't control your classroom, you have no business being a teacher. It's funny to me how an entire industry has gotten a pass for poor performance because the people paying them are also the ones educated by them, and are thus too stupid to see the bum deal they get.

Wow, please go away and grind your personal axe about teachers on 4chan or some other forum where complainers are experts about everything they have never done in their lives.

You sound incredibly bitter about teachers. Did someone get an F in a subject they needed to get into their 1st college choice?

ThunderThighs

Staff

••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 2 hours!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

jjkenobi

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jjkenobi

I highly recommend these toys. I got one for each of my kids and for long car trips they are excellent. Kids can stare out the window (so no car sick) and just keep spinning them, trying new tricks. Way better than a face stuck in a tablet or laptop or cell phone.

halleyscomet

quality posts: 0 Private Messages halleyscomet

Are the batteries replaceable?

kmartind

halleyscomet wrote:Are the batteries replaceable?

Some sellers of this style spinner say yes, others say no, which probably boils down to "yes, but not easily, and might involve a blade and super glue so YMMV"

(unless Woot has more info on these specifically)

choralmusic

quality posts: 2 Private Messages choralmusic

Dumb question, I know, but I just got mine and I don't know how to turn on the lights. No switch on it, and spinning it doesn't activate the lights. How do you turn the lights on?

mlub

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mlub
choralmusic wrote:Dumb question, I know, but I just got mine and I don't know how to turn on the lights. No switch on it, and spinning it doesn't activate the lights. How do you turn the lights on?

I have the same question.

choralmusic

mlub wrote:I have the same question.

I just figured it out. For mine, you've got to bump the three nodes (kinda like a ball with an LED inside of it.)

Just bop it on your hand and it should light up.

choralmusic

And now I've just noticed that one of the nodes is missing the plastic window. The battery is totally exposed. :/

I've emailed for a replacement.

TaylorSwiftsHaircut

quality posts: 32 Private Messages TaylorSwiftsHaircut

Staff

halleyscomet wrote:Are the batteries replaceable?

The vendor does not recommend replacing the batteries.

mlub

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mlub
choralmusic wrote:I just figured it out. For mine, you've got to bump the three nodes (kinda like a ball with an LED inside of it.)

Just bop it on your hand and it should light up.

Thank you very much. That works.

GregBulmash

quality posts: 2 Private Messages GregBulmash
jbitzerjr wrote:As a parent whose taxes pay your salary, I'd suggest get better at your job and learn to engage students so they're not so bored they need to play with a toy during your lectures.

As a parent who volunteers to teach kids and gets sponsors to pay for it instead of taxes, I'd suggest you get over yourself, learn to be an actual parent, and teach your kid some damn manners.

Your attitude is really why our schools have problems. It's not the teachers or staff who aren't doing their job. It's parents like you who don't want to teach your kids manners and discipline who are the problem.

Your lazy and incompetent parenting is what should be fixed, not the lesson plan.

suecait

quality posts: 0 Private Messages suecait

I just received a spinner. Are the LED's supposed to light with centrifugal force. Mine won't light.

ThunderThighs

Staff

suecait wrote:I just received a spinner. Are the LED's supposed to light with centrifugal force. Mine won't light.

We checked with the vendor: "It should light up if you shake it in your hand."

scifiwooter

quality posts: 2 Private Messages scifiwooter

Wow. What did i stumble in to.
As a parent of an Aspergers child, we keep the spinners at home and the cubes at school.
Spinners can go anywhere else, just not school.

JordanZelinger

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JordanZelinger
jbitzerjr wrote:I didn't say it made me an expert, nice straw man. Maybe they should do more than whine about the amount they get paid for 9 months a year of work and how hard it is. If it was so hard, new education majors would easily be able to find jobs and teachers wouldn't work until they were 90. If you can't control your classroom, you have no business being a teacher. It's funny to me how an entire industry has gotten a pass for poor performance because the people paying them are also the ones educated by them, and are thus too stupid to see the bum deal they get.

As a high school psychologist with a doctorate in school/clinical psychology and a masters degree in education I must share that I am frankly appalled at your rationale that teachers are "whining" These fidget spinners are literally "whining" in that they make a continuous high pitched sound. Using your same logic its not too hard to draw the conclusion that if you cant control your child you should not be a parent, and buying one of these fidget toys is a clear example of how some parents cant control their kids and need external supports and quick fixes that do not work. Children's behavior in the classroom has to do with many more factors than just the teacher, and your comments bely your dismissive attitude and lack of responsibility or insight.

cooldaddy75

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cooldaddy75

Politics aside, these are NOT a deal at this price. This is a retail price for the exact item I can walk into a local shop and expect to pay. Woot hasn't had good prices on many things of late.

prekmom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages prekmom

Hate the clicker part...And I saw a spinner fly out of a student's hand and hit another child in the face. That was the end of the spinners!

chipgreen

quality posts: 286 Private Messages chipgreen
jbitzerjr wrote:As a parent whose taxes pay your salary [snip]

All public servants bow before your holiness!

hsendyk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hsendyk

NOT INVENTED IN CHINA.
Google Catherine Hettinger, who originally created the spinner. Interesting story. And these mass produced pieces are junk. Support local machinist vs mass Chinese imports.

hagbard

quality posts: 4 Private Messages hagbard
brucem105 wrote:Wow, please go away and grind your personal axe about teachers on 4chan or some other forum where complainers are experts about everything they have never done in their lives.

You sound incredibly bitter about teachers. Did someone get an F in a subject they needed to get into their 1st college choice?

I'm just upset that this isn't reddit, so I can't upvote this. Well said.

Hagbard