WootBot

quality posts: 16 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: At what age did you get your kid cellphone?
  • 3.5% - 5 and under 12
  • 5.8% - 6 to 9 20
  • 21.8% - 10 to 12 75
  • 28.8% - 13 to 15 99
  • 16% - 16 to 18 55
  • 24.1% - My kid was an adult before cellphones were even a thing! 83
344 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

HomerTime

quality posts: 2 Private Messages HomerTime

I have to admit that the whole cellphone decision was possibly the only time I yielded to "parental peer pressure".

I saw no reason (and still do not) why a pre-teen has any need for a cellphone. My stance was once my kid was sixteen and could start going places on his own, it would then make sense for him to have a cellphone.

By the time he was 12, all the kids his age had one, even the ones that I knew were positively irresponsible a-holes. Still no phone for my kid.

I wasn't even deterred that the kids so poor they that were on the free-lunch program had iPhones, I was holding fast to my no phone position.

But after a couple of years have him being literally (and I mean literally, not figuratively) the only kid in his school without a phone, I had to relent when he was 14. It truly felt unfair for him to the only one excluded, regardless of how strongly I feel that "life isn't always fair".

runner188

quality posts: 0 Private Messages runner188

My kids are still under 5, I've not gotten them cell phones, and don't plan to before 16, but we'll see how that actually works out.

mainmchc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mainmchc

I got my Son(12) a cell phone when my ex chose a house in the country where the internet drops all the time (internet based land line).

She had a work emergency, I live over an hour away and I couldn't call him to tell him I was on the way.

Now he has a phone and he calls every weekend or anytime hes having a bad day < its kewl because we talk and figure it out.

giordana

quality posts: 0 Private Messages giordana

My twins just turned 3, so too young for a cell phone. I'm not sure when I'll get them a phone.

HomerTime wrote:I have to admit that the whole cellphone decision was possibly the only time I yielded to "parental peer pressure".

I saw no reason (and still do not) why a pre-teen has any need for a cellphone.

I was a 1980s latchkey kid. When I was 10, my school had an unscheduled early release due to snow (I live in New England, so it was pretty bad). The nuns (Catholic school) would not allow students to call home. They said they would put an announcement on the radio. Parents who weren't already listening, or were outside of the very small listening area, had no idea. I had a house key, and could walk home, but quite a few kids ended up stranded.

PrincessNybor

quality posts: 1 Private Messages PrincessNybor

My parents gave me a cell phone for my 18th birthday in 1996. I was one of the few kids in my high school to have one, but I was involved in a lot of after-school activities, and they decided that giving me a phone, so I could call them for rides, was cheaper than buying me a car! I've kept the same phone number all this time.

My kids are 1 and 3, and they inherited our old iPad Minis when hubby and I upgraded. We put kid-proof cases and screen protectors on them, and kept them on our cellular data plan. Not technically phones, but they have always-on data and FaceTime calling, so close enough.

Honestly, it's amazing. We loaded them up with kid-friendly movies and edu-tainment apps, and now things like car rides are much more enjoyable for everyone. Personally, I embrace the technology. Thank you for making our lives easier!