WootBot

quality posts: 16 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Have you ever lied and said that a dead pet just "went on vacation"?
  • 7.5% - Yes 20
  • 88.1% - No 236
  • 4.5% - I've said something else (comments) 12
268 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

Calgaltoal

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Calgaltoal

No, it is a time when children experience death. It is painful but all life experiences get us ready for the big losses. I remember in fourth grade our dachshund was killed, she followed my mother and me across the highway, we thought she was home. My mom told me not to turn around and I wish I had listened. I grieved for that dog for over a year, she was always there to greet me when I walked home from school. We have had and lost so many pets and each one is missed so much, some fantastic ones, you think you could not get though it but you do. I have a fifteen year old border collie and a fifteen year old cat. One of my cats lived to be 23. 🤞🏻

PocketBrain

quality posts: 61 Private Messages PocketBrain

Those fajitas we just ate?

Scruffy.

MUWAAA HAAA HAHAHAHA HAAHAH AHAHA HAAAA!!!!

Thanks to up-to-the-minute tracking, I don't track my package so much as stalk it.

netprophet1976

quality posts: 1 Private Messages netprophet1976

My mom left my dead hermit crab in the terrarium for a month to prove I wasn't taking care of him.

Marcusx70

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Marcusx70

No, we let the kids experience death the way we all have to deal with the loss. You cannot shield them from it or make them immune to it. You have to let them see it and understand death will come to us all. My kid lost his pet and I had him dig a hole in the backyard. He got an old shoebox and lined it with felt and buried it himself. He was 8 years old at the time. Now he deals with death as a part of life.

Halieus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Halieus

I still remember my dad telling my 5-year-old sister (I was 7) that someone had "traded" him a hamster and its cage for her 23 year old poodle. Even then I was skeptical, but when he told her that they wanted to breed her to get puppies that color, I started to tell him that he'd ripped them off... but he gave me the "Shut-up now!" look and I was smart enough to obey.

I just couldn't believe he'd lied to her. When I talked to him later I asked him why he would lie, and he said something to the effect of he hadn't thot of it as lying, but as shielding her feelings. When I asked him how I'd know if it was OK to lie to people, he thot about it for a a minute or two, then told me "never," that he'd made a mistake that he wouldn't repeat, and (to my knowledge) never lied to us again.

When my wife & I had our own kids, we decided to try to never do any fairy tales like Santa, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, etc... or to say anything "made up" for death. We have a few dogs and just under a dozen beef cows. All of the kids understand the joy of new life (baby calves are cute) and the sadness of death... and (thankfully) they've never asked me when it's OK to lie to someone.