quality posts: 3528 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Time to check out the product page

wootstalkerbot

quality posts: 13 Private Messages wootstalkerbot

[Preview 1]

Snap Circuits SC-300 Kit
Price: $34.99
Shipping Options:: $5 Standard
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 3-5 business days (Monday, Aug 11 to Thursday, Aug 14) + transit
Condition: New

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

***Facebook/Twitter notifications enabled***

Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat |Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

lichme

quality posts: 2905 Private Messages lichme

greengooseman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages greengooseman

Over 1100 5star ratings on this product. (Am_az_on_.co_m) Bought one last year for my son. LOves it.
way cheaper here.

eklebau

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eklebau

I am 45 years old I really want it! Youth is wasted on the young.

sandboxx

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sandboxx

I got one of these from woot back in March for me and my 6 year old son, and I cannot say enough good things about it. The set is very rugged will last for years to come (provided you don't short circuit it). It does help to do some homework and learn a little bit about the individual parts and how they work to "go deeper", as the manual really doesn't go much into how the components work. You have to do some of that yourself with your child.

drcanak

quality posts: 5 Private Messages drcanak
sandboxx wrote:....(provided you don't short circuit it).

That's a good point. These are not Lego. You can't just snap, plug and play these things. My son (who is 6) did, and we fried one of the circuits rendering that circuit, and every project using it, useless. We can certainly order a new part from the company, so the kit will be fine again.

Just know that you either (a) have to know and understand electronics or (b) pay attention to the instructions before you start "experimenting". To be fair, this information is found towards the beginning of the manual, but if you just drop these down for someone to play with, you could end up with some dead circuits.

I know it sounds obvious, but when you open the box and see all the bits that very easily just go together, you can see where kids would just start snapping stuff together.

acraigl

quality posts: 43 Private Messages acraigl

I purchased this kit for my son years ago and it was a great way to spend time, get creative and provide some undetected edutainment at the same time.

If you want your child to get an early, but real understanding of circuits and electricity, this is a great option.

Recommend... but do the projects with him/her. You'll both get much more out of it.

juliefix

quality posts: 0 Private Messages juliefix

Woot used to have lots of educational toys in the $20-$25 range that I could afford for nieces/nephews birthday or Christmas gifts. I wish they would get some in that price range again!

andrewteg

quality posts: 1 Private Messages andrewteg
greengooseman wrote:Over 1100 5star ratings on this product. (Am_az_on_.co_m) Bought one last year for my son. LOves it.
way cheaper here.

I saw it is $48 and free shipping on Amazon at http://amzn.com/B00CIXVIRQ. Is that the one you mean? If so, guess it saves $8 on one, plus $13 for each additional. But Amazon has had that set for under $40 before according to camelcamelcamel.

stv6669

quality posts: 6 Private Messages stv6669

Get out of my brain woot! I was _JUST_ looking at this yesterday because a co-worker was looking for a gift for her 10 year old autistic son. I told her to look into this.... may just have sold one!

EddyGurge

quality posts: 9 Private Messages EddyGurge
juliefix wrote:Woot used to have lots of educational toys in the $20-$25 range that I could afford for nieces/nephews birthday or Christmas gifts. I wish they would get some in that price range again!

This one is really worth the money though. Fantastic learning toy. Durable and fun.

blosmtx

quality posts: 1 Private Messages blosmtx

This is hands down the best toy I've ever bought for my 9 year old. The projects and instructions are easy enough for her to do on her own, but interesting enough that even adults enjoy helping and experimenting with them. One of the best parts is the company really stands behind the product. When one of the key pieces inevitably went missing from this set, I went to their website to purchase a replacement. They sent me one completely free, and it arrived in under a week.
I can't reccomend these toys enough.

marquis1photo

quality posts: 4 Private Messages marquis1photo

I think the are great. I bought 3 last time and gave 2 as gifts and one for my kids. They love them. Gives them an intro to circuits and a bit of programming.

Buckycubes and misc kids.woots.
I love woot-offs

colleenroth77

quality posts: 5 Private Messages colleenroth77

Highly recommend this! My daughter received this for her sixth birthday last August and she needed my help to build the examples in the book. After a few months, she got the hang of it and is able to do them on her own. Now she's teaching our four year old how to build things. They spend lots of time with this AND it's educational. Love it!!

crasherman43

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crasherman43

I had sets like these when I was younger...a big set, and an even bigger set. Much larger than the one sold here. I loved them. They were a lot of fun to play with, and I could always make cool things with them.

Unfortunately, its really not all that educational. The manual tells you how to make things such as a radio, but it never really tells you how it works. It doesn't show and explain each of the individual parts, what they do, and how they work together to make a master circuit.

If all you care about is having fun building cool things, buy this! If you think your kid might learn something from this, consider it carefully. If you are a teacher. this could be a useful learning tool, if you know what you need to know to teach your students about the circuit components.

gillisr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gillisr
crasherman43 wrote:I had sets like these when I was younger...a big set, and an even bigger set. Much larger than the one sold here. I loved them. They were a lot of fun to play with, and I could always make cool things with them.

Unfortunately, its really not all that educational. The manual tells you how to make things such as a radio, but it never really tells you how it works. It doesn't show and explain each of the individual parts, what they do, and how they work together to make a master circuit.

If all you care about is having fun building cool things, buy this! If you think your kid might learn something from this, consider it carefully. If you are a teacher. this could be a useful learning tool, if you know what you need to know to teach your students about the circuit components.

I am a former high school physics teacher, currently studying for a PhD in education (over educated, I know). I occasionally used my family's SC-300 set with students who had to make up the DC circuits labs in our curriculum. This set was great: the students could see that the symbols on the Snap Circuit pieces matched the symbols in their text and lab books. Plus, they did not have to worry about broken wires in the little jumper wires we used in the regular lab class.

The kit also worked for my 7 year old son. We worked together, following the manual as best he could. This led to learning in a number of areas, not the least of which was in troubleshooting. He often had to go back over the directions, comparing them to what he did to see where he went wrong.

In my opinion, kids can learn about DC circuits from this set even if they do not learn the actual, physical function of each component. Conceptually they will learn that increased resistance decreases the amount of light from a light bulb, or decreases volume from a speaker. They may not understand the exponential rate of a capacitor charging up, but they will learn that a capacitor can light a bulb even when the battery is disconnected.

My opinion is that there is a great deal of conceptual understanding to be gained from working through the examples in the manual. And, as I found over 23 years of teaching physics, Finding a student with conceptual understanding is much harder than finding a student who can mechanically complete a textbook problem. Learning the actual functions of the components(and the physics behind those functions) will be much easier for students who already know what the component does.

Also, I am planning to go through the first few examples with my other son over the next couple of weeks. He will be taking a high school electronics course next year. This will give him a jump on understanding the course material. Plus, since he is physically disable, the "snap" nature of the components will make assembling circuits much easier than it would be using wires, alligator clips, and a soldering iron.

Just my opinion. I highly recommend these sets.

71firebird

quality posts: 4 Private Messages 71firebird

My 7 year old son and I opened it up today. He figured it out after we worked on a couple together. He's been building circuits out of the book for 6 hours now. He love's this!