stlwooter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stlwooter

Getting married in under a month. Those of you who have done this know the work; those of you who have not, elope.

The task at hand is wedding favors. I'd like something that is eco-friendly and not just another candy or piece of Chinese manufactured plastic. However, I am open to anything unusual, interesting, or just plain wacky for humor right now.

When I search for earth friendly, eco conscious things I get these ugly pieces of paper with wildflower seeds imbedded. Not so interested. Please bring your amazing woot searching powers to my aid!

acemom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages acemom
stlwooter wrote:Getting married in under a month. Those of you who have done this know the work; those of you who have not, elope.

The task at hand is wedding favors. I'd like something that is eco-friendly and not just another candy or piece of Chinese manufactured plastic. However, I am open to anything unusual, interesting, or just plain wacky for humor right now.

When I search for earth friendly, eco conscious things I get these ugly pieces of paper with wildflower seeds imbedded. Not so interested. Please bring your amazing woot searching powers to my aid!

LOL, last wedding I went to, they gave pics of the places they had visited with a little something from the place.
Every few tables were different.
It was pretty cool, have y'all ever gone to different states?

stlwooter

acemom wrote:
LOL, last wedding I went to, they gave pics of the places they had visited with a little something from the place.
Every few tables were different.
It was pretty cool, have y'all ever gone to different states?

Frisco, Hawaii.

On my own, I've been to 48.

acemom

stlwooter wrote:

Frisco, Hawaii.

hmm, well you could do something with those pics and think of a favor that witll go with each. Then alternate tables.

Or not.

pooflady

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady

Last one I was at had candy bars (like a Hershey bar) with a thank you for coming printed on it and the couple's new address. Might be old hat by now. I liked it.

The biggest lie that I tell myself daily..."I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it."

stlwooter

acemom wrote:
hmm, well you could do something with those pics and think of a favor that witll go with each. Then alternate tables.

Or not.

I like the idea! Thanks for reading and responding. I am open to all suggestions at this point.

Proteus_Crow

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Proteus_Crow

Filipino hookers. Nobody doesn't like 'em.

The Nobel Peace Prize?! I'd *KILL* for one of those!

acemom

Proteus_Crow wrote:Filipino hookers. Nobody doesn't like 'em.

LMAO, crow!!
You never disappoint!

stlwooter

Unique, perhaps. Eco friendly, haven't the foggiest. Liked by everybody? I am pretty certain that my fiance will not go for that one.

It did bring me the humor I was looking for, though.

Thanks

acemom

stlwooter wrote:

Unique, perhaps. Eco friendly, haven't the foggiest. Liked by everybody? I am pretty certain that my fiance will not go for that one.

It did bring me the humor I was looking for, though.

Thanks

Just IMO..
Crow, um, I personally am not into those hookers, but thanks for the offer.

NeoLuddite

quality posts: 0 Private Messages NeoLuddite

Winner.

stlwooter

acemom wrote:
Just IMO..
Crow, um, I personally am not into those hookers, but thanks for the offer.

You may not be, but your emoticon seems to think otherwise.

killingtime

quality posts: 1 Private Messages killingtime

A paperwhite bulb in wrapped it white netting.

With an etching kit, add something to the champagne toasting glass.

acemom

killingtime wrote:A paperwhite bulb in wrapped it white netting.

Cool idea, KT!!

stlwooter

killingtime wrote:A paperwhite bulb in wrapped it white netting.

Is July a good time to get a bulb? Can they be forced indoors, in water?

Um do you mean pre-etch? I had visions of wedding guests handling acid at the tables... not that kind of acid for those of you out there!

bluebledthesea

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bluebledthesea

We know a small place in PA that hand makes and engraves candles and have considered that.

killingtime

A friend of mine couldn't have candles inside their venue so she got those flashing icecubes...they were hilarious...

killingtime

A box of sparklers to light as you leave?

killingtime

killingtime wrote:A box of sparklers to light as you leave?

That would be romantic...

m.wiseman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages m.wiseman
killingtime wrote:

That would be romantic...

So would acid. Groovy.

killingtime

I think it would be cool, especially if it were an afternoon/evening when the bride & groom get ready to race off...and everyone is outside with the dark blue sky and black trees...and for everyone to light their sparklers as the bride and groom get in the car to leave.

NeoLuddite

quality posts: 0 Private Messages NeoLuddite

PM, kt

stlwooter

bluebledthesea wrote:We know a small place in PA that hand makes and engraves candles and have considered that.

This wedding is in Philly. Could you post contact info or website for them? Are people allowed to carry candles on airplanes these days? Many guests are flying in.

FenStar

quality posts: 16 Private Messages FenStar

how about some bags of crap? It's biodegradable.

Still single, can't imagine why.

bluebledthesea

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bluebledthesea
stlwooter wrote:

This wedding is in Philly. Could you post contact info or website for them? Are people allowed to carry candles on airplanes these days? Many guests are flying in.

Colonial Candlecrafters. They do a lot of work specializing in weddings including unity candles. I know of it because it's in Lewisburg, PA right next to Bucknell University. We've had many opportunities to go in the shop so I don't know what it would be like to do it all through mail order.

stlwooter

bluebledthesea wrote:

Colonial Candlecrafters. They do a lot of work specializing in weddings including unity candles. I know of it because it's in Lewisburg, PA right next to Bucknell University. We've had many opportunities to go in the shop so I don't know what it would be like to do it all through mail order.

Everything for this wedding is long distance. I am in Boston area. Adds a little wrinkle to working with local providers.

killingtime

NeoLuddite wrote:PM, kt

Back at ya!

FenStar

You can always make somthing yourself, that would mean the most. Do you or your wife have any hobbies?

stlwooter

FenStar wrote:how about some bags of crap? It's biodegradable.

yep, thought of bagels of concrete, but then images of froggie keyboards popped in my mind.

slbrown83

quality posts: 0 Private Messages slbrown83

Get them drunk enough and nobody will care.

stlwooter

FenStar wrote:You can always make somthing yourself, that would mean the most. Do you or your wife have any hobbies?

We have made the invites, place cards, and thank-you notes. Lots of work. We still have the program and such to put together. However, we are both teachers and the load will lighten pretty soon. We both have summer responsibilities at our schools, but I will have a lighter load, soon. I think, however, that we will be spending more time on the ceremony and activities (this is a whole weekend event.)

I have too many hobbies!

FenStar

stlwooter wrote:

We have made the invites, place cards, and thank-you notes. Lots of work. We still have the program and such to put together. However, we are both teachers and the load will lighten pretty soon. We both have summer responsibilities at our schools, but I will have a lighter load, soon. I think, however, that we will be spending more time on the ceremony and activities (this is a whole weekend event.)

I have too many hobbies!

If you did the fractals thing, perhaps you could do somthing with that?

Edit: how about things you already made, or can easly be reproduced?

stlwooter

FenStar wrote:

If you did the fractals thing, perhaps you could do somthing with that?

Edit: how about things you already made, or can easly be reproduced?

I do the fractal thing. Nothing on Cafepress seemed to interest my partner. It would also be a me thing and not an us thing.

I am loving the fun and the serious contributions. Between wedding planning and writing end-of-year student reports, the woot wordgames and wedding advice is great relief!

killingtime

There are two great wholesalers...I love their stuff...I don't know if they sell to the general public...

http://www.swingdesign.com/index.html

http://www.burnesofboston.com/homepage/Fall2006/cfHome.cfm

As for the flower bulbs that I was talking about, you could go to:
Smith & Hawkins store to see what bulbs are seasonal to your wedding date and then use http://www.brecks.com/Default.asp?bhcd2=1150509248 to order.

Another cheap (and less quality, of course) place to go is:
http://www.orientaltrading.com/ and http://www.orientaltrading.com/products/C375260.jsp

You will want to make sure everyone knows the date of your wedding to ensure that they can get them there on time...

killingtime

acemom

killingtime wrote:I still like my sparklers idea.

http://www.skylighter.com/images/web_pictures/nv0571w2.jpg

i totally agree, that would be awesome.
But for wedding favors?
Hmmm, I got nuttin.

stlwooter

killingtime wrote: Just what I asked for!!

Wow, this is very helpful. Thanks. I do like the sparklers idea, but images of conflagration keep popping in my head. I think I will stay away from flammables as beautiful and meaningful as they are.

Thanks again for the suggestions. Off I go to check them out... Well I'm not really going off; just opening another tab.

Cheers

killingtime

acemom wrote:
i totally agree, that would be awesome.
But for wedding favors?
Hmmm, I got nuttin.

Yeah, but do people really keep wedding favors anyhow?

acemom

killingtime wrote:

Yeah, but do people really keep wedding favors anyhow?

uh.
You're right.
I never do.

killingtime

I also like these...

http://www.weddingthings.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=WeddingThings&Product_Code=SP007

You could probably make them going to Michaels and buying the candies...