quality posts: 3795 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Time to check out the product page

wootstalkerbot

quality posts: 13 Private Messages wootstalkerbot

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3][Preview 4]

CAT Mini Backhoe-Loader w/Excavator
Price: $199.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 3-5 business days (Wednesday, Jul 02 to Monday, Jul 07) + transit
Condition: New

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

***Facebook/Twitter notifications enabled***

Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat |Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

Lowerone

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Lowerone

Any luck that this will hold an adult? ;) :P

CaptainWes

quality posts: 102 Private Messages CaptainWes
Lowerone wrote:Any luck that this will hold an adult? ;) :P

I wish they made these FOR adults.

iadams

quality posts: 1 Private Messages iadams

Why is the recommended age 2.5+, right below the choking hazard warning stating that it's not for children under 3? I guess for 2-5-3yrs old you just hope for the best.

My daughter is not quite two, so I am not ready for stuff like this yet, but I love to look at it and can't wait to buy things like this.....but I have to wonder why it costs $200 for something that is pedal powered and plastic.

Also, can a kid actually pedal this off of the paved area, or will it be too hard to make it go in grass?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 604 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

iadams wrote:Why is the recommended age 2.5+, right below the choking hazard warning stating that it's not for children under 3? I guess for 2-5-3yrs old you just hope for the best.

From my experience, the choking hazard refers to the small parts before you assemble it - screws, bolts, nuts, etc.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

tweak17emon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tweak17emon
iadams wrote:but I have to wonder why it costs $200 for something that is pedal powered and plastic.

having worked at CAT, i will tell you right now the reason it costs so much is because of the brand. all CAT merchandise is super expensive on the scale of things. But they also only go with top end producers to make products bearing their name.

dietsch

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dietsch
iadams wrote:Why is the recommended age 2.5+, right below the choking hazard warning stating that it's not for children under 3? I guess for 2-5-3yrs old you just hope for the best.

My daughter is not quite two, so I am not ready for stuff like this yet, but I love to look at it and can't wait to buy things like this.....but I have to wonder why it costs $200 for something that is pedal powered and plastic.

Also, can a kid actually pedal this off of the paved area, or will it be too hard to make it go in grass?

I bought this a year ago, assembly is a nightmare took 8 hours. Grandson used it for about an hour,
next visit he asked me to get it down, used it again about 1/2 hour. This visit he didn't even want it down. No she will not be able to use it on grass. In my opinion save your money.

goldiesmarv

quality posts: 1 Private Messages goldiesmarv
CaptainWes wrote:I wish they made these FOR adults.

They do! Starting at half the price of this one.

http://www.machinerytrader.com/list/list.aspx?ETID=1&catid=1046&Manu=CATERPILLAR

OxDeadface

quality posts: 0 Private Messages OxDeadface

The price is likely because of the CAT name, and because it's made in Germany instead of China (labor costs, engineering standards, etc.) I just put one of these together a few weeks ago and the components seem pretty solid. The instructions are lacking though, so it took about two full hours to put together.

My kid loves it, but you're right that it was a bit of a pain to pedal on grass at first. Your kid will likely need to pedal on pavement or compacted dirt for a while before being able to get through the grass without issue.

Edit: the recommended age of 3+ is probably a requirement because it does have nuts and bolts that could possibly come off and become a choking hazard.

boomn4x4

quality posts: 14 Private Messages boomn4x4

I bought this for my son when he was 2. Its made by Kettler which is a German company. The price comes from the construction. Its a VERY solid plastic, very durable, will last a long time. What you would expect out of German engineering. It does have a few issues though. The biggest one is that the gearing on the pedals is way too high. You cannot pedal it on anything other than pavement or hard dirt. Too hard to pedal on anything loose or even grass. The other issue is assembly. It takes a long time. Instructions are all in German, there are images to guide you through it, but the words are German. I'm pretty handy and often don't even bother with instructions, but this still took me over an hour to assemble. Had to do a lot of checking and double checking.

When what to my wondering eyes should appear, but a bucket of wings and a six pack of beer!

bkfly45

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bkfly45

Had this for 2 years (from woot), 2 year old son had some difficulty using it all, and he is a big kid, but he still used it and glad I had it for him then. It's one of his favorite outside toys now.

Pedaling can be hard as others have mentioned due to gearing, and it also turns really wide, but you still can get around on it pretty well on pavement and go decently fast, just not on any other surface. Also a pain to put together. Little clip that holds the backhoe kickstand also broke off, but can still use everything ok. Everything else in good shape.

Would buy again in a heartbeat, few things not great about it but overall it is a great toy, haven't found something like this elsewhere for around $200 since I bought one a while back. Even when he's not driving, it's a cool toy just to have the buckets for putting stuff in or digging in the sandbox. It's a big one too and would be hard to hang up or something, so need floor space to store it.