WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

In case you haven't noticed, it's Baby Shower Week at Kids.Woot! We're offering up all the gizmos and gadgets that new moms want for their adorable little bundles of snot, poop and spit-up. From diaper bags to sleep sacks and everything in between, you can buy it all for yourself of your favorite mom-to-be. 

What you won't find in our endless array of kid wares is answers. Answers to the burning questions new moms may be too afraid to ask, or the ones no one wants to own up to because they've buried the memories deep, deep down inside.

We believe in brutal truth here at Woot, so we've gathered some of our favorite new-mom questions and asked our seasoned veterans for their honest opinions. You ready? Be sure. Because after you read these, life will never be the same. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. 

Q: Does it hurt?

A: Are you freaking kidding us? YES IT HURTS. How bad depends on your particular tolerance and chosen pain management. If you don't want to feel any pain, might we suggest a hammer? We have heard that, over time, memory of the pain washes away so you're more likely to have a second or third child. We're still waiting. 

Q: Will I ever sleep again?

A: Not for a very long time. We're not gonna lie, it's tough. New babies' sleep schedules are all wonky. Some of the things we found helpful: weaning off of pacifiers as early as possible (so you aren't up every half hour popping it back in their scream holes), sleep training or co-sleeping if that works best for your family.

Q: Do I really need all this crap people are buying for me?

A: We're conflicted by our need to SELL ALL THE THINGZ and also be real. So the quick answer is: no. You don't NEED any of it. The long answer: some of these things make life with a new baby a little easier. Our must-haves: Crib. Diapers. Clothes. Blankets. Food source (boobs or bottles). Our nice-to-haves: Everything else. Our don't-need-under-any-circumstance: wipe warmers. Seriously, come on.

Q: What if I'm a bad mom?

A:  Don't worry. No one will tell you. We'll just all talk about you behind your back. That's not actually true. People will tell you all the time what a terrible person you are. Unsolicited. It's pretty rad. But think of it this way: if you're worried about being a bad mom, you're already on your way to being a good one.

Q: Is it OK to give my kid Benadryl so I can get some quiet time?

A: No. But we didn't let that stop us.

That about does it for this edition of Truth Bombs. Got any burning questions you'd like answered, or some additional or contrary advice to new moms based on our responses? Hit us up in the comments!

trinity343

quality posts: 0 Private Messages trinity343

ahh wipe warmers are useful.. you know... for when you want to give the baby a nice warm towelette for their face while you change them. also, useful for the dried on poops you didn't know where there until it was to late...other then that.. yeah not needed.

carolcarol

quality posts: 0 Private Messages carolcarol

Oh, wrong - the wipes warmer is my go-to shower gift. Seriously, a screaming baby with the cold wipe versus the calm baby - no contest. Wipe warmers are a must. What I didn't need? The cloth diapers I thought I would be good and use - if I could just get through the first days, uh weeks, um 3 years. Yes, they ended up being dusting cloths. Expensive dusting cloths.

amynance

quality posts: 6 Private Messages amynance

Staff

carolcarol wrote:Oh, wrong - the wipes warmer is my go-to shower gift. Seriously, a screaming baby with the cold wipe versus the calm baby - no contest. Wipe warmers are a must. What I didn't need? The cloth diapers I thought I would be good and use - if I could just get through the first days, uh weeks, um 3 years. Yes, they ended up being dusting cloths. Expensive dusting cloths.

Ha ha. Fair enough!

bsmith1

quality posts: 103 Private Messages bsmith1
carolcarol wrote:Oh, wrong - the wipes warmer is my go-to shower gift. Seriously, a screaming baby with the cold wipe versus the calm baby - no contest...

Wipes, being thin and wet, will cool down very quickly once removed from the warmer. So, unless your ambient room temperature is warm (and it shouldn't be for a baby) you have to move quickly if you want it to make a big difference.
Also, our model is supposed to be filled with water every time you refill the wipes. I'm sure you're also supposed to clean it every once and a while to prevent bacteria from growing in that warm, moist environment... Plus, the wife always takes the last wipe and never refills it leaving you wipeless in great times of need... We use one, but it has it's pros and cons.

special72

quality posts: 2 Private Messages special72

I bought a wipe warmer, and really liked it. It was really helpful with cloth diapering because I could make up a bunch of cloth wipes in advance. We moved and the warmer never got unpacked, but I keep meaning to get it out. It's easier than running to the faucet to wet a wipe.

special72

quality posts: 2 Private Messages special72

Also, I was strangely under the (wrong) assumption that childbirth would be quick and painless. My mom said I basically jumped out (obviously, she had pitocin). My pregnancy was easy and I felt great, so I looked at child birth as a natural, beautiful process. 20 hours in and I was (jokingly) begging my husband for morphine.

bsmith1

quality posts: 103 Private Messages bsmith1

Diaper Genies (we got one at a shower) are nice because they do help contain the smell, but I've had to fix (rig) mine 3 times now because the little plastic tabs inside that push the lid open keep snapping off. Now I have metal bolts in there instead of plastic. If I had paid over $100 out of my own pocket, I'd be much less happy with it.

marceepauff

quality posts: 14 Private Messages marceepauff
carolcarol wrote:Oh, wrong - the wipes warmer is my go-to shower gift. Seriously, a screaming baby with the cold wipe versus the calm baby - no contest. Wipe warmers are a must. What I didn't need? The cloth diapers I thought I would be good and use - if I could just get through the first days, uh weeks, um 3 years. Yes, they ended up being dusting cloths. Expensive dusting cloths.

Cloth diapers make EXCELLENT burp cloths. Seriously, the tiny little squares they have the gall to call "burp cloths" -- have you SEEN what comes out of these infants?!

jcanders1975

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jcanders1975

On the sleep note, if you're breastfeeding, try to pump too if you can. There is nothing quite so nice as being able to get a full night's sleep, or at least a nice extended nap, if you have a kick butt husband(like me) willing to get up and feed that baby. Seriously guys, treat your wives right and give them a break if you can!

dturner857

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dturner857

After 5 of the little ones, and now a grandma to 6 (I'm 50, don't judge!), I found warming the wipes in my hand right before use helped with the cold butt problem. Also, when the child was 2 or 3 months, we would start adding a small amount (1 tsp to 8 oz) of rice cereal to the nighttime bottle. If they took it, it meant a guaranteed 4 hours of sleep.

bblhed

quality posts: 7 Private Messages bblhed

No one ever tells you that not all babies are perfect, even the ones that are perfect. In fact the better behaved and easier to care for your child is, the worse it will be when they do go off the rails on you. Also, there is no negotiating with a 4 month old that will only sleep if they are laying on your chest while you are sitting up in a chair.

elfnow

quality posts: 2 Private Messages elfnow
jcanders1975 wrote:On the sleep note, if you're breastfeeding, try to pump too if you can. There is nothing quite so nice as being able to get a full night's sleep, or at least a nice extended nap, if you have a kick butt husband(like me) willing to get up and feed that baby. Seriously guys, treat your wives right and give them a break if you can!

As a die-hard boob-feeder, I agree with this! Downside is when the boobtick decides she no longer likes any sort of artificial boob and only wants the real thing. But whatever; we co-sleep so I still get my snoozes.

BelyndaG

quality posts: 18 Private Messages BelyndaG

The best advice I ever got was from a friend who told me that she had noticed that her kids' spells of increased crankiness always seemed to occur just before the child learned a new skill. For example, her daughter became terribly difficult just before she finally managed to turn over, crawl, walk, etc. I took this to heart. Every time one of my babies went through a cranky stage, I just reminded myself that he or she was just trying to learn something new and was frustrated, but would soon be ok again. Got me through some rough times!

jtoubeaux

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jtoubeaux

After 4 babies myself I wouldn't ever advise a new mother to forget a wipes warmer. My babies all knew the difference between a warmed wipe and a cold one.
1. Keeping them at hand where changing a diaper to retain heat.
2. Check the moisture level about once a week.
3. Keep stocked.
4. Rinse the pad and replace with a new pad every so often.
The only time they are not as handy is during hot seasons. So if your baby is a summer baby they might enjoy the cold wipe or at least not cry when you use it on them.

peterday0705

quality posts: 1 Private Messages peterday0705
marceepauff wrote:Cloth diapers make EXCELLENT burp cloths. Seriously, the tiny little squares they have the gall to call "burp cloths" -- have you SEEN what comes out of these infants?!

I could not get enough cloth diapers when my girls were babies... they catch everything and grow with them - first super absorbent for any spittle, then great nose rags when you have one that just won't stop dripping, and now they have been re-purposed as my floor waxers. The gift that just never stops!!

tgall45

quality posts: 9 Private Messages tgall45
bsmith1 wrote:Diaper Genies (we got one at a shower) are nice because they do help contain the smell, but I've had to fix (rig) mine 3 times now because the little plastic tabs inside that push the lid open keep snapping off. Now I have metal bolts in there instead of plastic. If I had paid over $100 out of my own pocket, I'd be much less happy with it.

Luckily the pet food we were using came in nice big plastic slider-lock bags. They were awesome for storing the diapers and containing the odor between changes. Not nice when you add to it but the exhaust fan cleared the smell pretty fast. No expensive refills since we already had them.

carolcarol wrote:Oh, wrong - the wipes warmer is my go-to shower gift. Seriously, a screaming baby with the cold wipe versus the calm baby - no contest. Wipe warmers are a must.

To each their own. For me, wipe warmer is pretty pointless. Got one as a gift and it was nice as a wipe holder. We eventually unplugged it as it was more hassle than it was worth for no real difference during the change.

tgall45

quality posts: 9 Private Messages tgall45

The most useless baby item ever... the Pee-pee Teepee (and similar items I'm sure). Seemed like a decent idea. It's supposed to protect you from getting sprayed during a change. But it just gives a false sense of security as it either falls off when they move a tiny bit or gets blasted off when they go. The only times I got hit was when trying to use this useless thing. Just best to be fast.

Oh, and where's the Dad's equivalent topic woot?!? Come on.

Skanning

quality posts: 15 Private Messages Skanning

A new baby does NOT need 20 size 0-6 mo size outfits. If you're going to a baby shower, for heaven's sakes, ask the mom-to-be what kind of diapers she'll use and buy those. A new baby does not live in cutesy outfits...those are for a few times they go out and even then that small size will probably be outgrown before they even get a chance to wear it. Be practical, folks!!

baillard

quality posts: 6 Private Messages baillard
bsmith1 wrote:Diaper Genies (we got one at a shower) are nice because they do help contain the smell, but I've had to fix (rig) mine 3 times now because the little plastic tabs inside that push the lid open keep snapping off. Now I have metal bolts in there instead of plastic. If I had paid over $100 out of my own pocket, I'd be much less happy with it.

Same thing with our diaper pail, plastic flap with plastic hinges that failed after 4-6 months. They needed to be metal reinforced.

Where did I put my my quill and inkpot?

TwoSolomons

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TwoSolomons

We've been using our diaper genie for 6 full years (without a break!!!) (Yes, I'm TIRED of diapers!). NO problems with it. Love it, and it really does keep the smell away. Maybe we have an older model?
And wipes warmers? Seriously? My kids occasionally cried cause the wipe was cold, but they're not gonna DIE because of a cold wipe! And hey! It's incentive to use the potty, right?

And to the grandma who put rice cereal in the bottle. That is one of those things that has changed over the last few decades. It's no longer recommended due to choking hazards, and it's really not very good for babies digestion. Many reasons why you shouldn't do it.

stacyg03

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stacyg03

Did it hurt? - If you have to ask, you haven't experienced it.

Wipes warmers - didn't use. Diapers, formula, blankets, bottles...they were all great gifts. Clothes in larger sizes, that was helpful too. Cloth diapers? Yeah, no.

Oh nards, you mean the kid gets the Benadryl? Wellllll, let's just chalk that one up to experience.

kwaping

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kwaping

Benadryl is also a great travel companion for the little ones - especially on their first airplane flight!

hadabadday

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hadabadday

Ten babies and 3 at home--every labor is so very different. My biggest suggestion is to cloth diaper. Labor is over soon enough but you have to cover that bottom.

theharv

quality posts: 0 Private Messages theharv

A wipe warmer is a MUST! We didn't have them when we took a 2 day trip and a cold wipe to my little man's junk woke him right the hell up at a middle of the night changing. We normally change him after the bottle to give him the most time to do his thing. But after that cold wipe, he was a lot harder to get back to sleep. Warm wipes = happy, calm babies.

theharv

quality posts: 0 Private Messages theharv

Oh, and as for useful baby shower items, add puppy pads to that list. They are great for on the changing pad. Things get a little messy and you're not changing the changing pad cover all the time.

And throw a few in the diaper bag. They are great when you have to change the kidlet on a nasty bathroom changing area, or worse yet, the floor of the bathroom.

They are cheap, light to carry and do a great job at keeping the kid and the place cleaner.

TazoWolf

quality posts: 10 Private Messages TazoWolf

I can't resist...

"I'll Never Let My Schooling Interfere With My Education" -Mark Twain

"We Must Be the Change We Wish To See In The World" -Gandhi

Magic Cave

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Magic Cave

[quote postid="5965752" user="TazoWolf"]I can't resist...

---> snip of video

It's been three full minutes since I watched that, and my jaw is still hanging down. My three-week old grandson hasn't stopped crying in four days and nights. I'm going to send the vidclip to them and point out to my son that his son is my revenge for the Five Days of Colic Hell he put me through.