zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootstalkerbot

quality posts: 10 Private Messages wootstalkerbot

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3]

Dr. Mom LED Otoscope
Price: $14.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard OR $9 Two-Day OR $12 One-Day
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 1-2 business days (Monday, Mar 17 to Tuesday, Mar 18) + transit
Condition: New

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
2/19/2014 - $14.99 (Woot-off) - 4 comment(s)
2/17/2014 - $14.99 - 35 comment(s)
1/15/2014 - $14.99 (Woot-off) - 0 comment(s)

***Facebook/Twitter notifications enabled***

Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat |Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

Alfredenigma

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Alfredenigma

Don't have kids, don't want kids, but kinda want this..

noop

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3332 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Time to check out the product page and solid reviews (4.3 out of 5.0) over at amazon

lauandiulia

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lauandiulia

Cheaper from amazon.com with Prime (and faster too)

thestone

quality posts: 2 Private Messages thestone

Coming soon to a browser near you, medical.woot.

wondabread

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wondabread
lauandiulia wrote:Cheaper from amazon.com with Prime (and faster too)

I see 26.92 plus tax on amazon. Close, but not cheaper than 24.99 plus tax. Unless the price very recently changed...

isdrms

quality posts: 0 Private Messages isdrms
wondabread wrote:I see 26.92 plus tax on amazon. Close, but not cheaper than 24.99 plus tax. Unless the price very recently changed...

With PRIME you get FREE shipping = "Cheaper" than WOOT $5.00 shipping plus price.

idealreptiles

quality posts: 2 Private Messages idealreptiles

I use these several times a week to inspect electonic components for damage and debrees, from headphone jacks to Dock and power connectors... I can say that they are of good quality and feel great, made of metal and a solid weight; However, after some heavy use, they fall apart. I'm talking about excessive daily use as a technicians tool; Throwing them in a drawer or toolbox after use, dropping them, exc. the plastic ear piece gets very loose, is not secure and starts to fall out so I lightly superglue them in place immediately after opening. There is a plastic lense that falls out sometimes and once that's lost, it's time to toss and buy another.

isdrms

quality posts: 0 Private Messages isdrms
isdrms wrote:With PRIME you get FREE shipping = "Cheaper" than WOOT $5.00 shipping plus price.

There is an Amazon $19.92 price (so it is a little cheaper on Amazon if you have a Prime account).

VanillaXtract

quality posts: 1 Private Messages VanillaXtract
lauandiulia wrote:Cheaper from amazon.com with Prime (and faster too)

isdrms wrote:With PRIME you get FREE shipping = "Cheaper" than WOOT $5.00 shipping plus price.

I guess I must be mathematically challenged. Please explain to me how $26.92 (amazon price without shipping) is cheaper than $19.99 (woot price with shipping).

Boxymoron

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Boxymoron

Lead? But lead can be a harmful-Oh, riiiiight. LED. Gotcha.

aneuhoff

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aneuhoff

I have no doubt that these can be useful, but just realize that it's not as easy as it would appear to look in a squirming kid's ear that is half filled with wax and tell if they have an infection. Even experienced physicians sometimes can't tell for sure.

klandon61

quality posts: 13 Private Messages klandon61

This is the third-generation model and is $26.92 on Amazon. This model has an LED bulb - the cheaper model does not.

ahowel22

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ahowel22
VanillaXtract wrote:I guess I must be mathematically challenged. Please explain to me how $26.92 (amazon price without shipping) is cheaper than $19.99 (woot price with shipping).

I believe they're referencing: http://www.amazon.com/Original-Doctor-Mom-Otoscope-otoscopes/dp/B000ITD3RA/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1394970163&sr=8-8&keywords=dr.mom

heidi1361

quality posts: 6 Private Messages heidi1361

take the tip off & it's

GREAT TO HELP SEE THE SPLINTER in you/your kid & GET IT OUT!!

dreamzperpetual

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dreamzperpetual

Just a warning, from someone who has spent years doing physical exams in medical school.

There is a common saying, don't put anything in your ear smaller than your elbow. It's very easy to push things too far, especially as hard as an otoscope with plastic to damage your eardrum.

Be very, very careful and gentle when using this. Like, 10x more careful than you think you need to be, even if you are being careful.

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 156 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

heidi1361 wrote:take the tip off & it's

GREAT TO HELP SEE THE SPLINTER in you/your kid & GET IT OUT!!

??????

astaff

quality posts: 0 Private Messages astaff

This cheaper amazon link is for the non-led version. Woot wins! Search led otoscope on amazon shows $26.92 is cheapest I could see.

ahowel22 wrote:I believe they're referencing: http://www.amazon.com/Original-Doctor-Mom-Otoscope-otoscopes/dp/B000ITD3RA/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1394970163&sr=8-8&keywords=dr.mom

stylen

quality posts: 1 Private Messages stylen

Positioning for the kiddo. I suspected that my daughter had an ear infection and I had to wait for the appt with her doc (approx a week). Never again I'll use this and then call the nurse with the news!

voxitage

quality posts: 0 Private Messages voxitage
stylen wrote:
Positioning for the kiddo. I suspected that my daughter had an ear infection and I had to wait for the appt with her doc (approx a week). Never again I'll use this and then call the nurse with the news!

As a Nurse, let me just say we love it when you try to practice home medicine, maybe even more than Doctors do, and value your youtube/wikipedia diagnoses above the years of training/practice of licensed and credentialed professionals.

In case you aren't wet from the sarcasm that was dripping, let me beseech you in earnest. PLEASE do not buy this for use as an otoscope. Ear damage is very easy to accomplish and impossible to reverse.

Here's a tidbit: most of the people responsible for keeping people alive in a hospital setting ARE NOT QUALIFIED TO USE OTOSCOPES. The same people who can intubate you and restart your heart with a combination of electrical stimulation and extremely dangerous drugs have no business even touching these tools. Use them as a light/magnifier in cramped places, but please, please, PLEASE don't risk someone's hearing playing "Dr. Mom."

tmwarby

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tmwarby
dreamzperpetual wrote:Just a warning, from someone who has spent years doing physical exams in medical school.

There is a common saying, don't put anything in your ear smaller than your elbow. It's very easy to push things too far, especially as hard as an otoscope with plastic to damage your eardrum.

Be very, very careful and gentle when using this. Like, 10x more careful than you think you need to be, even if you are being careful.

There's a trick to using these;
Hold the scope firmly in your fist
and plant the fist firmly against
the side of the kid's head. Now
you can control the position of
the scope in very small increments and if the kid squirms around, you won't jam the tip into his eardrum. Something else I've noticed the Doctor always does,
He always looks in both ears, not just the one you're complaining about. If there's a difference, this might help you figure out what's wrong, even though you don't know what you're looking at.

stylen

quality posts: 1 Private Messages stylen
voxitage wrote:As a Nurse, let me just say we love it when you try to practice home medicine, maybe even more than Doctors do, and value your youtube/wikipedia diagnoses above the years of training/practice of licensed and credentialed professionals.

In case you aren't wet from the sarcasm that was dripping, let me beseech you in earnest. PLEASE do not buy this for use as an otoscope. Ear damage is very easy to accomplish and impossible to reverse.

Here's a tidbit: most of the people responsible for keeping people alive in a hospital setting ARE NOT QUALIFIED TO USE OTOSCOPES. The same people who can intubate you and restart your heart with a combination of electrical stimulation and extremely dangerous drugs have no business even touching these tools. Use them as a light/magnifier in cramped places, but please, please, PLEASE don't risk someone's hearing playing "Dr. Mom."

Agreed that you should know what you are doing when placing anything into a child's ear. In my case as a non licensed practitioner it will help so I can monitor my kiddos ear instead of awaiting for her appt with her doc to confirm.

I would hope your doc / pa / nurse practitioner can save your life as well as accomplish a full HEENT physical exam. GL

Qwerty283

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Qwerty283

I have had this otoscope for over 2 years and think it was a great buy. While I would not recommend using it on a child under 1 (they squirm too much and their ear canals are too small) it works great beyond that. I start by practicing on my husband and then once I learned what I was looking at, moved onto the kids.

Contrary to other posts, if you have the least bit of common sense you are not going to puncture your kid’s ear drum. Even my pediatrician told me it would be hard to damage your kid’s eardrum with this.

The otoscope has helped me many times to decide if I should take my kids to the doctor or wait it out. I paid $30 for it 2 years ago, it still works great and was worth every penny.

pallaromp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages pallaromp
voxitage wrote:As a Nurse, let me just say we love it when you try to practice home medicine, maybe even more than Doctors do, and value your youtube/wikipedia diagnoses above the years of training/practice of licensed and credentialed professionals.

As a doctor, we also love it when you ladies who spent maybe a year of actual time studying medicine give us your opinion.

I know, we are not supposed to say things like this because of the nurse mafia ... but this is honestly how most of us feel. I personally would value the opinion of a parent who took the time to buy this device and use it more than the average fat nurse Betty.

Yeah, I just went there.

jeffandmonica

quality posts: 6 Private Messages jeffandmonica

I'm very happy my family owns one of these. We have never had an issue with injuring our sons ears when using the otoscope. The best part is knowing I'm not wasting a trip to the drs office or even more, money because we weren't sure if our son had an infection or not. The pediatrician was very impressed that we knew our son had an infection by using our at home otoscope. If you purchase one of these, you won't be disappointed!

schep999

quality posts: 8 Private Messages schep999
pallaromp wrote:As a doctor, we also love it when you ladies who spent maybe a year of actual time studying medicine give us your opinion.

I know, we are not supposed to say things like this because of the nurse mafia ... but this is honestly how most of us feel. I personally would value the opinion of a parent who took the time to buy this device and use it more than the average fat nurse Betty.

Yeah, I just went there.

I know you doctors are busy, and I hear Obamacare will give you a little less time, but could you please comment more often?

You ROCK!

VanillaXtract

quality posts: 1 Private Messages VanillaXtract
ahowel22 wrote:I believe they're referencing: http://www.amazon.com/Original-Doctor-Mom-Otoscope-otoscopes/dp/B000ITD3RA/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1394970163&sr=8-8&keywords=dr.mom

Oh! In that case, this woot is also more expensive than this http://www.amazon.com/Apples-Oranges-Brother-Lost-Found-ebook/dp/B001AZJKD2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1395053190&sr=8-2&keywords=apples+and+oranges