WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: How much is your oldest child's weekly allowance?
  • 7.9% - A dollar. They're not very old, you see. It's mostly a cheap way to get chores done. 43
  • 7.3% - Five bucks. Just enough to force them to make financial decisions. 40
  • 3.7% - Ten bucks. That's fair, right? 20
  • 3.5% - Twenty bucks. A reasonable amount in today's economy. 19
  • 0.9% - Thirty bucks. Hey, I can afford it. 5
  • 3.1% - Over thirty bucks. Don't hate the player. Hate the game. 17
  • 41.6% - My child gets no allowance. Don't believe in it. 227
  • 32.1% - My child needs no allowance. I ask THEM for money now! 175
546 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

bblhed

quality posts: 7 Private Messages bblhed

My oldest child has a job and earns their own money, but alas they are also in college so they hit me up for money now and again as well.

I never ask my kids for money, my parents never asked me for money and I don't ask my kids for money.

ladysethos

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ladysethos

When you're ten and want a few extra bucks, mow the yard. When you're sixteen and want a car, get a job. I always tried to teach my kids money comes from work; it's not a handout.

SumDuud

quality posts: 21 Private Messages SumDuud

I don't really do allowance because my kids won't do crap around the house. I ask them to do stuff and when they ask for money for things, I remind them that I asked them to do stuff, but they just mooch and then I make them earn their wages after they have the money. Oldest is 10 and the next is 5. As the snow melts they will be forced to do some chores or they won't get to play and do things, especially ones that cost money.

Let's see the quality impulse buys!
Wooter to blame for sellout: SumDuud
Sellout time: 8:11:25 AM Central Time

Contrarian by nature.

JavierC

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JavierC

I allow them to live, that's their allowance.

viidim7

quality posts: 3 Private Messages viidim7

My four-year-old gets a quarter a week. In a couple of years, I'll start designating chores and he can earn TWO quarters a week.

daveinwarshington

quality posts: 22 Private Messages daveinwarshington

They have jobs.
When they were kids...
A couple bucks a week for basic house chores.
A few more bucks a week for extras (weeding, hauling wood, clearing brush, etc...)
A few more bucks for high grades.

pdaywitt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pdaywitt

$10 every 2 weeks, but 20% has to go to savings. We also put their age x 4 into a car savings account every 2 weeks. Hopefully we'll be ready by the time they're ready.

diveborg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages diveborg

My oldest "child" has one term of college left before he gets his mechanical engineering degree. After that he returns to his job at Boeing doing stress analysis for 767 repairs, so yeah, he has his own money. I expect him to make more than me in a couple of years and I make decent money as an electrician.