stacipurv

quality posts: 3 Private Messages stacipurv

A friend told me about someone who had gotten off scotch free.

When asked, she gave a glowing explanation on how scotch was correct, because the penalty didn't stick. (Yes, she was blonde)

scot free The expression scot free derives from a medieval municipal tax levied in proportional shares on inhabitants, often for poor relief. This tax was called a scot, as an abbreviation of the full term scot and lot, where scot was the sum to be paid and lot was one’s allotted share. So somebody who avoided paying his share of the town’s expenses for some reason got off scot free.

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

I could care less.

It's I couldn't care less!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

hot72chev

quality posts: 11 Private Messages hot72chev

My aunt shops at Wal-Mark

jqubed

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jqubed

duct tape

Duck tape is in fact the correct version. The original fabric of the tape is a type of fabric called duck, which gets its name, not from the bird, but from a Dutch word. Contrary to the popular mis-nomer, duck tape is not a good choice for air-handling duct work and does not meet code for that use in many jurisdictions.

ⅉℚ Seventh Annual Woot! Bracketology | I'm Quality Peoples!

Skye — 1997-2007

pooflady

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady

a myriad of

It should just be myriad.

The biggest lie that I tell myself daily..."I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it."

stacipurv

Last night I listened to a speaker who said, at least 10 times, that something was "mandentory". Ugh!!!! It's man-duh-tory! Dang it, if you can't pronounce it, just say Required!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 604 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

In writing:

It's a mute point (moot)

I'm weary of .... (wary)

Working in my dad's pharmacy: Someone wanting to get their subscription refilled. (prescription) That happened A LOT!

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

jqubed

stacipurv wrote:Last night I listened to a speaker who said, at least 10 times, that something was "mandentory". Ugh!!!! It's man-duh-tory! Dang it, if you can't pronounce it, just say Required!

I once had a teacher who pronounced magenta as "magneta"

Skye — 1997-2007

stacipurv

jqubed wrote:I once had a teacher who pronounced magenta as "magneta"

That literally just made me spit soda all over my computer.

jqubed

stacipurv wrote:That literally just made me spit soda all over my computer.

Another success story!

Unless there's not actually soda all over the computer. In which case you need Glove & Boots:

Skye — 1997-2007

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
jqubed wrote:duct tape

Duck tape is in fact the correct version. The original fabric of the tape is a type of fabric called duck, which gets its name, not from the bird, but from a Dutch word. Contrary to the popular mis-nomer, duck tape is not a good choice for air-handling duct work and does not meet code for that use in many jurisdictions.

i wonder about this. while the use of the term "duck tape" may have come first, the term "duct tape" has entered common usage as the generic term (at least in the usa) for that product, and "duck tape" is no longer used generically (although a very popular brand is named "duck tape"). should we not recognise that english is a living language that changes over time? why should simply being first give priority for correctness? are you also going to ding the words "color" and "recognize" for being younger than "colour" and "recognise"?

jqubed

no1 wrote:i wonder about this. while the use of the term "duck tape" may have come first, the term "duct tape" has entered common usage as the generic term (at least in the usa) for that product, and "duck tape" is no longer used generically (although a very popular brand is named "duck tape"). should we not recognise that english is a living language that changes over time? why should simply being first give priority for correctness? are you also going to ding the words "color" and "recognize" for being younger than "colour" and "recognise"?

To me in this case because "duct tape" gives the impression that it is used and useful for duct work, when it's not, then it's best to not spread misinformation but instead to return to the original name. I have a suspicion that the name "duct tape" arose because people heard "duck tape" but it didn't make sense to them so they decided that they'd mis-heard it, and tried to find something that seemed plausible. However, if you know that the tape is made from a fabric called "duck" then the name makes perfect sense.

Skye — 1997-2007

no1

jqubed wrote:To me in this case because "duct tape" gives the impression that it is used and useful for duct work, when it's not, then it's best to not spread misinformation but instead to return to the original name. I have a suspicion that the name "duct tape" arose because people heard "duck tape" but it didn't make sense to them so they decided that they'd mis-heard it, and tried to find something that seemed plausible. However, if you know that the tape is made from a fabric called "duck" then the name makes perfect sense.

from wikipedia:

After the war, the duck tape product was sold in hardware stores for household repairs. The Melvin A. Anderson Company of Cleveland, Ohio, acquired the rights to the tape in 1950.[14] It was commonly used in construction to wrap air ducts.[18] Following this application, the name "duct tape" came into use in the 1950s, along with tape products that were colored silvery gray like tin ductwork. Specialized heat- and cold-resistant tapes were developed for heating and air-conditioning ducts. By 1960 a St. Louis, Missouri, HVAC company, Albert Arno, Inc., trademarked the name "Ductape" for their "flame-resistant" duct tape, capable of holding together at 350–400 °F (177–204 °C).[20]

so at one time it was used for ductwork.

Cotton duck (from Dutch: doek, "linen canvas"), also simply duck, sometimes duck cloth or duck canvas, commonly called "canvas" outside the textile industry, is a heavy, plain woven cotton fabric.

i bought duct tape at a big chain store the other day. it was quite thin and certainly not made of heavy canvas.

it's no longer made of duck cloth and no longer used for ductwork. i propose the name "gray gaffer's tape."

kenney9226

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kenney9226

Fun fact: America is the only country in the english-speaking world that calls it "aluminum."

All other english-speaking countries pronounce and spell it the proper way, "aluminium."

AL LOU MINI YUM!

no1

kenney9226 wrote:Fun fact: America is the only country in the english-speaking world that calls it "aluminum."

All other english-speaking countries pronounce and spell it the proper way, "aluminium."

AL LOU MINI YUM!

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, YOU DARN OPRAH-LOVER!

jqubed

kenney9226 wrote:Fun fact: America is the only country in the english-speaking world that calls it "aluminum."

AL LOU MINI YUM!

Go back to the rest of the English-speaking world, then, freedom hater!

Skye — 1997-2007

no1

AL LOU MINI YUM!

what about canadia?

seekerktf

quality posts: 3 Private Messages seekerktf

"You'll have an expense account. That's one of the many French benefits you get for working here." (fringe benefits)

"That's the guy who suppose-a-bly found out we were saying it wrong." (supposedly)

I worked with a guy who always said "ideal" when he really meant "idea" and got confused whenever anyone used "ideal" correctly.

Since I live in Texas, my two favorite mispronunciations...

"I axed the guy where the nearest gas station was." (asked)

"We should rely more on new-cue-ler power." (I can't really point the finger at most for that one as we've had at least two US presidents who said it that way including one "new-cue-ler" engineer.)

...and maybe it's just me, but I know a lot of folks that pronounce the "l" in "salmon" and the "w" in "sword"

pooflady

I know someone who says cow tail instead of kowtow.

The biggest lie that I tell myself daily..."I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it."

no1

warshington

stacipurv

no1 wrote:warshington

How far is that from Chicargo? I know it's a long way from the island state of Hawaiyer.

osu68

quality posts: 0 Private Messages osu68
stacipurv wrote:Last night I listened to a speaker who said, at least 10 times, that something was "mandentory". Ugh!!!! It's man-duh-tory! Dang it, if you can't pronounce it, just say Required!

Why did you stay? Why didn't you run out screaming about counterfeiters, or lawnmower safety? It's because you actually liked it, didn't you? I would rather see a spectacle like that than listen to some ignoramus wallowing around like a hippo in a mudhole.

Sir Charles Chilkoot

osu68

stacipurv wrote:How far is that from Chicargo? I know it's a long way from the island state of Hawaiyer.

Yes, it is. Ever flown from there to there? At 500 mph it takes 11 days and 19 hours. That's steerage, of course. First class takes only 2 hours.

Sir Charles Chilkoot

osu68

Where I'm from it's "Worshington", and you worsh your clothes in a worshing machine (assuming you ever do that). We had no clothes, so it was not of much concern to us.

Sir Charles Chilkoot

jqubed

My dad's from Oregon and pronounces it that way. What I find more peculiar is that he adds R to some words but drops the R from others like "orange" so it sounds more like "oynj".

Skye — 1997-2007

jqubed

osu68 wrote:Where I'm from it's "Worshington", and you worsh your clothes in a worshing machine (assuming you ever do that). We had no clothes, so it was not of much concern to us.

Actually my dad talked more like that. It's not as pronounced now as he's gotten older, just like my mom's southern accent isn't as strong as when I was a little kid.

Skye — 1997-2007

hot72chev

quality posts: 11 Private Messages hot72chev

"Should of" instead of "Should have" drives me crazy.

jqubed

hot72chev wrote:"Should of" instead of "Should have" drives me crazy.

Yes! It's should've!

Skye — 1997-2007

moles1138

quality posts: 24 Private Messages moles1138

"brought" instead of "bought"

benjaminleebates

quality posts: 8 Private Messages benjaminleebates

When I was young, I hated to hear "pitcher" for PICTURE. I may not be the best at all this grammar policin', but that one just grinds on my nerves.

no1

"klingon mind meld"

no1

"'scuse me while i kiss this guy"

no1

"carry a laser down the road that i must travel"

pooflady

Saw this on a Red Lobster menu page today.

Choose from the day's fresh fish catch – grilled, blackened, or broiled.
Complimented with your choice of topping.

You'd think a national chain like that would have a proofreader.

no1

pooflady wrote:Saw this on a Red Lobster menu page today.

Choose from the day's fresh fish catch – grilled, blackened, or broiled.
Complimented with your choice of topping.

You'd think a national chain like that would have a proofreader.

if you don't know that there's anything wrong, you won't be able to figger out you need a poofreader

no1

pandemonium instead of pandamonium

no1

it's instead of its

there instead of they're or their
their instead of there or they're
they're instead of there or their

no1

liberry