WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Do you think your child's school does a good job of teaching them?
  • 7.3% - Yes. They're almost perfect. 50
  • 27.4% - Overall, yes. Obviously I disagree on a few things but such is life. 187
  • 14.7% - Mostly. They get some stuff wrong, though, so we also teach our kids at home. 100
  • 12% - Not totally. They handle the basics okay, I guess. 82
  • 6.3% - Ugh. They're so bad. I wish I could find a better one. 43
  • 2.6% - No. In fact, I'm talking to a lawyer right now. That's how bad they've gotten. 18
  • 29.6% - My child doesn't go to school. I'm raising them to be a pit fighter! 202
682 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

pigsnfish

quality posts: 2 Private Messages pigsnfish

Four kids. Always homeschooled till this year. One graduated, one will graduate this year, one in 7th grade. Youngest in 4th grade went to public school this year. First time for our family. It's slow and much more loaded with drama than homeschool. Plus, we don't have as flexible of a schedule. Learning-wise, not much difference between public and home.

BobInFla

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BobInFla

It was great until "Common Core" was put into place. They are brainwashing now instead of teaching and they are rewriting history. It's a shame, but I'll have to start homeschooling them now.

olperfesser

quality posts: 2 Private Messages olperfesser

We taught the kids to think and learn. They read a lot, and that helps. Today's schools no longer educate. They teach to tests. They don't teach how to think. In fact, I believe that is the main issue I have with all school systems, especially the non-secular.

Bookatze

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bookatze

My child is the teacher at her school, so of course I'm certain that she is doing a great job of teaching. As well as any teacher can do, anyway, when they are now cursed with Core, which is as far as I can tell hated by teachers, parents, and kids.

ladyloerya

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ladyloerya

My oldest is 17 and is very smart - he manipulates the school system to get A's and B's without ever doing homework. He has done this for years. I hate it. I always wanted to homeschool him but he wouldn't have any of it. His sister is 4 and have been/will be homeschooling though. She is excited and so are we. I'm watching my friends run around like crazy doing kindergarten registrations this month and hoping to get into the schools they want (charter schools). I'm leaning back and playing games and reading books with my daughter instead. And for the record, with Core now, I wouldn't touch a public school with a 200 foot pole... (LOL, after typing that sentence I paused and realized the irony that I really do live approximately 200 feet from the elementary school...)

diveborg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages diveborg

Both of my children have done very well in school. My son already has an engineering job with Boeing even though he still has 2 terms of college left. That's pretty good for a kid I didn't think would ever learn to read.

My daughter is starting college as a sophomore this year thanks to the honors and AP classes she took in high school.

Finally, my wife is a teacher so of course I think that at least the students in her class are getting a good education.