WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Back when you were a kid, how many miles did you walk to school?
  • 15.3% - 50 113
  • 5.1% - 100 38
  • 4.1% - 200 30
  • 10% - 300 74
  • 28.1% - 1000 208
  • 37.4% - Some other amount 277
740 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

manhandsha

quality posts: 37 Private Messages manhandsha

Staff

Zero, I lived less than a block away until 6th grade, then took the bus til I got my license.

Have a question about your order or account? Click here to contact Woot Member Services.

sillstaw

quality posts: 6 Private Messages sillstaw

My elementary school is literally down the street from my house, and my junior high was a mile or so. I always took the bus home from high school.

jnelson203

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jnelson203

My walk to school was up hill both ways. It was horrible! At least that's what I told my daughter, till her walk to the bus stop was truly up hill and almost a mile.

mainmchc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mainmchc

Grade school 2 miles. Middle school 2 blocks to the bus. High school same bus stop, If I ditched I'd walk 4 miles to my Dads and hang out there while he was at work, then walk home after school. Then later in the year I drove...

animalcracker

quality posts: 2 Private Messages animalcracker

I went to 8 different schools and the furthest ever was 3 1/2 and I took the bus. Had to walk up and down a very steep hill to catch that bus. Did walk the Mile and 1/2 in Jr a few times when I missed the bus and it was oddly up hill both ways. I never believed my grandpa's story about walking 50 miles in the snow, up hill, both ways. But at least I know that up hill part can happen!!

berblaine

quality posts: 2 Private Messages berblaine

10 miles

BobInFla

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BobInFla

I rode my bike, but it was uphill both ways and in the snow. My shoes had holes in the soles from using them as brakes for the bike and the snow got up inside my shoes and froze my toes off.

RocRizzo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages RocRizzo

I walked five miles in the snow, rain, sun, clouds, whatever. It was uphill both ways to school.

"Understanding is a three-edged sword."

easpangler

quality posts: 2 Private Messages easpangler

three short blocks

circusninja

quality posts: 9 Private Messages circusninja

I hated that I had to walk THROUGH Mordor to get there too.

2wizard

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 2wizard
circusninja wrote:I hated that I had to walk THROUGH Mordor to get there too.

[Obligatory]
One does not simply walk through Mordor.

paulpnevada

quality posts: 26 Private Messages paulpnevada

1.1 but it was uphill on the return trip!

daveinwarshington

quality posts: 22 Private Messages daveinwarshington
RocRizzo wrote:I walked five miles in the snow, rain, sun, clouds, whatever. It was uphill both ways to school.

Same with me, except it was 84 miles each way, uphill both ways, 17' snow drifts and 1 mountain range.

I had to leave 2 days early every day to get there on time!

Whew! Growing up in San Diego in the 60's was tough!

roadlizard7

quality posts: 1 Private Messages roadlizard7

I rode my bike, so I didn't walk any.

DrHardcrab

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DrHardcrab

"I would walk 500 miles
And I would walk 500 more
Just to be that man who walk a thousand miles to fall down at your door....."

olperfesser

quality posts: 2 Private Messages olperfesser

I walked to school until High School when I rode the bus until my senior year when I rode with my neighbor in his car. I went to 12 different schools, so it's difficult to measure. Anywhere from a block in first grade to about a mile in 8th grade.

moles1138

quality posts: 24 Private Messages moles1138
DrHardcrab wrote:"I would walk 500 miles
Just to be that man who walk a thousand miles to fall down at your door....."

Guess I won't post this...
"But I would walk 500 miles
Just to be that man who walk a thousand miles to fall down at your door"

sugarpops

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sugarpops

My father drove us to school but we walked about one mile home.

DarthTagnan

quality posts: 2 Private Messages DarthTagnan
RocRizzo wrote:I walked five miles in the snow, rain, sun, clouds, whatever. It was uphill both ways to school.

I was going to post the same thing.

Seriously, though... 3 miles.

CatCK

quality posts: 50 Private Messages CatCK

I lived across the street from the playground. Couldn't cross the street there, so had to walk a bit (3 houses down) to the streetlight where the crossing guard was.

emccoyii

quality posts: 8 Private Messages emccoyii

The only time I walked to school was when we lived in Roosevelt Roads, PR. I had to pull up the satellite map to see the trail we used, but it looks like roughly 2 miles round trip. The return was up hill, though!

Halieus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Halieus

Walk?
Walk??
Man, we were dirt poor and I still rode a bike rather than walk... unless there was a bus stop within 200' of my front door (went to 8 schools between K5 & 12th grade).

Great thing was tho... no one would steal my old rusty tattered banana seat bikes, so I hardly had to lock them up. Then when I was finally able to get a paying job & bought my own 18-speed racing bike I would get to school faster on the bike than I could driving my van.

bsanf3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bsanf3

I went to to many schools, most not walkable. Probably about 2mi. for one Elementary School and one high school +4mi. which I only had to walk from once, not fun with no sidewalks or road shoulders most of the way.