lrgraham14

quality posts: 8 Private Messages lrgraham14

Techno Gears Marble Mania Galaxy
Price: $59.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard or $9 Two-Day or $12 One-Day
Condition: Unknown

Comparison Links:
Google Products - Amazon - Previous Woot Sales

Tired of refreshing the page during a wootoff? Save your f5 key by using mywoot.net

wootstalkerbot

quality posts: 13 Private Messages wootstalkerbot

[Preview 1][Preview 2]

Techno Gears Marble Mania Galaxy
Price: $59.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard OR $9 Two-Day OR $12 One-Day
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 1-2 business days (Monday, Jan 27 to Tuesday, Jan 28) + transit
Condition: New

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

***Facebook/Twitter notifications enabled***

Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat |Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

dacrete

quality posts: 133 Private Messages dacrete

Makes me wish I was a kid again.

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3643 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Check out a actual user video!

skinnermm

quality posts: 1 Private Messages skinnermm

My kid got one a similar model a few years ago. Noisy as hell.

Plus, while the pieces are TECHNICALLY compatible, I think you'd have to have a doctorate in engineering to make your own layout.

Basically we spent a few hours putting it together, a few minutes watching marbles roll around, moved on to fun someplace else.

editorkid

quality posts: 92 Private Messages editorkid
skinnermm wrote:My kid got one a similar model a few years ago. Noisy as hell.

Plus, while the pieces are TECHNICALLY compatible, I think you'd have to have a doctorate in engineering to make your own layout.

Basically we spent a few hours putting it together, a few minutes watching marbles roll around, moved on to fun someplace else.

Well, I'd be OK with the noise because I'd be buying this for my friends' son (I am that guy), and I'm not bothered by the difficulty of expansion, but your last comment is exactly what worried me about this thing. Thanks for the save.

editorkid

quality posts: 92 Private Messages editorkid

By the way, the only thing anyone's going to learn from that product video is that it glows in the dark. It's 53 seconds of nothin'.

damask16

quality posts: 1 Private Messages damask16
dacrete wrote:Makes me wish I was a kid again.

Technically, you're still somebody's kid! I got a much simpler marble run thing for Christmas when I was 27. I'd wanted one since I was a *younger* kid. Best present ever!

Get it! What's life without a little whimsy and marble run toys? :-)

prestidigital

quality posts: 0 Private Messages prestidigital
editorkid wrote:By the way, the only thing anyone's going to learn from that product video is that it glows in the dark. It's 53 seconds of nothin'.

It reaffirms the "techno" in "techno Gears"

jmbunkin

quality posts: 28 Private Messages jmbunkin

Good item for a retailer. Put one of these on a shelf and "sell" marbles to your customers to see it work. All money goes to a local or other favorite charity. You'd be surprised at how much money can be raised.

mdanda

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mdanda

Got one at Costco a few years ago for about the same price. A little frustrating at times because the parts aren't quite machined precisely enough given the complexity of the model, but we got it working. You really can't modify the design or build your own, though.

cowmomba

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cowmomba

I rushed right over to see this deal. My kids had a marble drop toy growing up, and loved it. I've got grandkids now, so came to investigate. I decided against buying one though. 480 pieces? AND it needs batteries. Despite its educational theme, my children would NOT be happy cleaning up after their kids played with this.

yeller

quality posts: 2 Private Messages yeller
editorkid wrote:Well, I'd be OK with the noise because I'd be buying this for my friends' son (I am that guy), and I'm not bothered by the difficulty of expansion, but your last comment is exactly what worried me about this thing. Thanks for the save.

Same thoughts here, it would be fun putting together, but how much fun is it to watch after 20 or so minutes. It looks like you can't reconfigure the layout to try new ideas.

If you want to go ghetto, just save a few paper-rolls, tape them together, and BLAM you have a "Ghetto-Marble-Mania" that doesn't make noise and is reconfigurable.

Check out this rocking youtube video.

bandrel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bandrel
cowmomba wrote:I rushed right over to see this deal. My kids had a marble drop toy growing up, and loved it. I've got grandkids now, so came to investigate. I decided against buying one though. 480 pieces? AND it needs batteries. Despite its educational theme, my children would NOT be happy cleaning up after their kids played with this.

I disagree. If your kids had one growing up and loved it they will still love it. I'm 30 and had one growing up and I wish my son were old enough to not choke on the marbles (9 months). If he were old enough I would get one. I would get one now, but I'm afraid I would want to play with it. You don't have to use batteries.

kidsandliz

quality posts: 8 Private Messages kidsandliz

There is a yahoo group for marble run geeks called rolling ball sculptures

http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/rollingballsculptures/info

Folks on that list have made some really cool things sometimes using (and modifying) kits like this or some of the other kits out there.

Growing up with played with marble runs through high school, sometimes building fancy ones that went from the kitchen counter to the kitchen table (which we moved) and then to the floor.

This will probably need some adult help for many grade school kids, however for people (adults and children) who love stuff like this this kit has some interesting components. Since it can be combined with other kits some really interesting runs could probably be designed.

We have a homemade one made out of cut up pop cans fastened to the wall in the bathroom that gets played with by people of all ages who are in there doing their "business".

If you have kids (or are an adult) who like to build things or like marble runs (and are old enough if you don't want to help out) this should be a hit - especially if you get compatible other kids and they have the freedom to make different designs.

tommytheduck

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tommytheduck

Found this 4 or 5 years ago at Costco for $40-50. Like someone mentioned earlier, the box says "OVER 480 PIECES!!!!" Yeah... like that's a good thing...

Took me about 4 hours to build, and we did play with it for a while, but once the kid starts taking pieces off to re-arrange, forget it. It's way too complicated and even when built correctly, the marbles do not always make it through un assisted.

Still, this is a fun toy and I wouldn't tell you not to buy it if you think you (and your kids?) will enjoy it.

Zibby

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Zibby

I had a MARBLEWORKS by Discovery Toys marble run when I was growing up. Discovery Toys is one of those home party sale setups. I'm sure it was an expensive toy back in the day, but if you go by hours of play per dollar spent it was a bargain.

25 years later my daughter has been playing with the same MARBLEWORKS set when we visit my mom.
I am so tempted to get a MARBLEWORKS set for our house, but I also enjoy the something special at Grandma's, so I settled on buying a set for my godson instead.

If you or your kids are interested, MARBLEWORKS is a bit spendy but definitely the way to go. The parts hold up well and there are no out of the box designs, just build your own, tear it down, and build again. My 4 year old can do it with a set that is over 25. Hopefully they haven't changed their quality standards too much over the decades.

I looked at some other marble runs as well, and they felt cheap compared to the MARBLEWORKS sets, and the display models were prone to simply falling over as the base parts didn't offer much in the way of stability.

Sorry if this sounds like an ad, but really I'm just a very pleased kid who grew up and was able to pass a great toy on to his own kid. If you're willing to spend your money on this toy, go spend it on MARBLEWORKS instead.

tsfisch

quality posts: 40 Private Messages tsfisch

Geez people, can't believe all the whining about "too many pieces". What ever happened to building something being half (if not most) the fun of it? Guess I'm old enough now to start whining about the "young generation that just doesn't get the value of hard work"

luberoo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages luberoo

Zibby, you are so right! Both my kids played with the Discovery Toys Marbleworks for years. They used the marbles, along with sand, water, little cars, dry pinto beans, pebbles-their imagination was the limit. They reconfigured it every which way too.

No batteries, no noise, no directions. It was their favorite toy up to 8, 9 years old.

You can still buy it online, and yes, it is pricey, but lasts forever. I really wish I had kept it for my grandkids, instead of selling it on Ebay years ago;(

Marbleworks--powered by CREATIVITY!

crocvii

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crocvii
yeller wrote:
If you want to go ghetto, just save a few paper-rolls, tape them together, and BLAM you have a "Ghetto-Marble-Mania" that doesn't make noise and is reconfigurable.

Check out this rocking youtube video.

But it doesn't glow in the dark! LOL

cowmomba

bandrel wrote:I disagree. If your kids had one growing up and loved it they will still love it. I'm 30 and had one growing up and I wish my son were old enough to not choke on the marbles (9 months). If he were old enough I would get one. I would get one now, but I'm afraid I would want to play with it. You don't have to use batteries.

The one my children had growing up was different. Multiple configurations for hours of re-arranging. There was no "one way" to set it up. Probably why it lasted more than 20 years.

cowmomba

Zibby wrote:I had a MARBLEWORKS by Discovery Toys marble run when I was growing up. Discovery Toys is one of those home party sale setups. I'm sure it was an expensive toy back in the day, but if you go by hours of play per dollar spent it was a bargain.

Marbleworks is the one I still have parts to... after years and years of use!

25 years later my daughter has been playing with the same MARBLEWORKS set when we visit my mom.
I am so tempted to get a MARBLEWORKS set for our house, but I also enjoy the something special at Grandma's, so I settled on buying a set for my godson instead.

If you or your kids are interested, MARBLEWORKS is a bit spendy but definitely the way to go. The parts hold up well and there are no out of the box designs, just build your own, tear it down, and build again. My 4 year old can do it with a set that is over 25. Hopefully they haven't changed their quality standards too much over the decades.

I looked at some other marble runs as well, and they felt cheap compared to the MARBLEWORKS sets, and the display models were prone to simply falling over as the base parts didn't offer much in the way of stability.

Sorry if this sounds like an ad, but really I'm just a very pleased kid who grew up and was able to pass a great toy on to his own kid. If you're willing to spend your money on this toy, go spend it on MARBLEWORKS instead.