Quality Posts

lrgraham14

quality posts: 8 Private Messages lrgraham14

Bresser Telescope & Microscope Set
Price: $29.99
Condition: Unknown

Comparison Links:
Google Products - Amazon - Previous Woot Sales

Tired of refreshing the page during a wootoff? Save your f5 key by using mywoot.net

lichme

quality posts: 3182 Private Messages lichme

More info From Bresser

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com
Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat | Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

Warning: Too much awesome to be contained in such a small space

khadaji

quality posts: 4 Private Messages khadaji

These are criminal. There is nothing like low end scientific gear to turn a kid (or the curious of any age, really) off of scientific pursuits forever.

shaywalters

quality posts: 2 Private Messages shaywalters
khadaji wrote:These are criminal. There is nothing like low end scientific gear to turn a kid (or the curious of any age, really) off of scientific pursuits forever.

Well said. Good optics are expensive. There's just no way around it. This would be like using plastic "Junior Mechanic" pliers to work on your car. And I'm not just saying this for the snob factor. Seriously, don't buy these. ...unless you're looking for a prop for a YouTube video that you'll throw off a roof.

opaulw

quality posts: 1 Private Messages opaulw
shaywalters wrote:Well said. Good optics are expensive. There's just no way around it. This would be like using plastic "Junior Mechanic" pliers to work on your car. And I'm not just saying this for the snob factor. Seriously, don't buy these. ...unless you're looking for a prop for a YouTube video that you'll throw off a roof.

I couldn't agree more.

Woot count = 70+

labyrinthia

quality posts: 15 Private Messages labyrinthia

I bought this microscope at Goodwill for like a dollar. It's junk! Only use would be for "role play" for a young child. I think it ended up being a gun before it finally broke and was put in the garbage.

ETA- I know an astronomy teacher, he suggested either binoculars or a celestron firstscope for the kids. A magnifying glass is awesome, too, and cheaper than a good microscope.

vicemagnet

quality posts: 5 Private Messages vicemagnet

I bought a similar set about three years ago from Woot. Complete junk. I think even the rivets were made of plastic.

There is a YouTube vid of a cheap microscope using your cell phone camera, a cheap laser pointer lens, some wood and screws and plexiglass for under $10.

opsouth

quality posts: 3 Private Messages opsouth

I fell victim to purchasing a junk telescope as a "from Santa gift" to my then 8 yr old son. He couldn't see the moon clearly and soon after it was shoved in the closet. When weather warmed up he brought it back out and decided it was more exciting to use it as a make believe military rocket launcher. He's now 10 and will receive a much nicer model this Christmas. The entire family will enjoy it, too.

thurmie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thurmie

Thank you for the feedback, Wooters! I looked online for reviews and didn't come up with anything. My kiddos would have disappointed - they're getting older and quality means more these days.

saltekar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages saltekar

Wow, thanks for the reviews. I almost bought one but I know our kids would be totally put off if by a low quality item set.

acanarelli

quality posts: 270 Private Messages acanarelli

Mothers, fathers, grand parents, uncles, aunts and friends...

The absolute WORST thing you can do to a bright child who shows a burning interest in the stars and astronomy is to buy them a toy telescope!! If Leonardo da Vince, Hubble or any of the pillars of astronomy were turned off by a toy telescope during their youth, we would probably know a lot less about the cosmos today.

What's wrong with a toy telescope? For openers the lenses are cheap (often made of plastic). Cheap lenses produce lousy, blurred images with plenty of uncorrected color. Most of the telescope parts are made of plastic, rather than metal. The tripod (a very important part of the telescope) is poorly made and is almost 100% plastic. It all adds up to a terrible experience for the child...something you would hope to avoid.

So, if you can't afford spending about $300 minimum for a basic usable telescope, buy the child a good astronomy book. Believe me, the child will get a lot more out of the book and will not be turned off.

Viceroy5

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Viceroy5

Thank for the heads up almost bought this. Been a wooter long time and ever since amazon bought this it is so hard to find something good. So much crap - no real deals. WOOT RIP!

acanarelli

quality posts: 270 Private Messages acanarelli
Viceroy5 wrote:Thank for the heads up almost bought this. Been a wooter long time and ever since amazon bought this it is so hard to find something good. So much crap - no real deals. WOOT RIP!

Don't blame Woot, as retailers are not expected to know a lot about specialized equipment. If you want to buy a good telescope for a child and adults, look for a Dobsonian 8 inch telescope. This is not a brand but rather a type of telescope. Zhumell (a brand) sells one for under four hundred dollars.

hendem99

quality posts: 4 Private Messages hendem99

It is a shame that these might be junk. I had a Tasco microscope when I was a kid (in the 80s) and I loved it.
The optics where marginal, the lowest magnification setting worked pretty well and could give you pretty disturbing up close look of a bug.

mrdancer

quality posts: 6 Private Messages mrdancer

Sad that Bresser put their name on this, as they actually have very good ED binoculars (Everest) for around $230 that are on par with $500 glass, an excellent bargain. With that in mind, maybe these have the optics of a $60 kit, which is to say, horrible...

BTW, Celestron makes some very nice scopes in the $400 range, but be prepared to return one or two, as their quality control is all over the place. Have a friend who knows optics do a star test before final acceptance.