WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Your kid is caught holding a spray can next to a graffiti-covered wall. How do you react?
  • 47.8% - I let the cops book 'em as a vandal. Don't do the crime if you can't do the time. 425
  • 5.7% - I argue with the cops that my child is an artist. Banksy stuff sells for millions, you know! 51
  • 1.1% - I try and bribe the cop. I'm simply too rich to be expected to obey society's rules. 10
  • 24.1% - I argue it's all circumstantial. What if he just FOUND the can after the REAL vandal dropped it? 214
  • 19.5% - I send my kid to Sicily until the heat's off, then sneak them back in under cover of darkness. 173
  • 1.8% - Some other answer I’ll put in the comments. 16
889 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

jnelson203

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jnelson203

I ask my child to show me their hands. No paint on them, I'll go to bat for them. If they've got paint on them, ugh.

agiftagain

quality posts: 0 Private Messages agiftagain

Here's how I would like to react (which may bear little resemblance to how I would actually react):
Pause and study the mural. Find a few things I like about it. And then ask the child why they chose certain colors or patterns or angles. Keeping calm and low-key will help create a safe space for dialog; in case the mural was indeed the child's doing, we can talk about why, etc.
Not claiming to be enlightened enough to actually be able to navigate this rough terrain so easily. But I hope I can.

spikegirl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spikegirl

I've seen this question on woot before. Does that mean I have been coming here too often, for too long?

SumDuud

quality posts: 21 Private Messages SumDuud

Depends on which child it is. Some I would fight their innocence and others I'd say see ya on visiting days. In all cases I'd ask themif they did it and that might influence my reaction as well.

Let's see the quality impulse buys!
Wooter to blame for sellout: SumDuud
Sellout time: 8:11:25 AM Central Time

moles1138

quality posts: 8 Private Messages moles1138

Actually, Banksy sells for $60.

ladysethos

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ladysethos

Paint on hands = restoring damaged property. Arrest or whatever, but that kid is either scrubbing the wall clean or repainting it.

Halieus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Halieus
jnelson203 wrote:I ask my child to show me their hands. No paint on them, I'll go to bat for them. If they've got paint on them, ugh.

2 thumbs up here --^

(My tallest child is under 3' tall tho, so they'd be hard pressed to do anything except pick up the can and paint grass under someone's mural.)

KarenMarie

quality posts: 22 Private Messages KarenMarie

Get the kid home asap and deal with her there. Assuredly, she would have preferred to have gone with the cop.

prorer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages prorer

Offer to clean it up

ziekk

quality posts: 7 Private Messages ziekk

Deal with them at home. Preferably by having them talk to the owner of the building (if possible), then finding out how much it might cost to get the wall washed/repainted and figuring out how much food/diapers/electricity/whatever that would cost them. And then make them go volunteer somewhere to show them how awful life is when you can't feed yourself or your kids because some punk decided to mess up your business.

EDIT: Also make them clean that mess or pay to have it done by someone else, depending on if they have a job or not.

Man I hope this never happens. That sounds like a lot of work.

ladyloerya

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ladyloerya

Outwardly - prove my child did it before you can convict him. Inwardly - I would hope the "graffiti" is artwork and not a giant penis. If it's artwork, I'm proud and encouraging and will seek an outlet for him/her. If it's a penis or other basic stupidity just to deface something, there will be some serious trouble.

Discord

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Discord

This actually happened to me. His probation officer and I had a dialog in front of him that put the fear of the system into him. He never got in trouble again. BTW it was on a mailbox. Federal property. He was lucky he didn't go to juvie.

cbrenner99

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cbrenner99

I agree with the look at the hands answer already given.

Carl A. Brenner

daveinwarshington

quality posts: 8 Private Messages daveinwarshington

Little Billie- Once I decide he's guilty-
Is going to clean up all damage done.
And if reoccurring, maybe a visit to a Juvenile Detention.
And, there's endless chores at home!
I don't care if I or anyone else thinks his vandalism is 'art'.

I'm having a WOOTIN' TOOTIN' well time here!
SEAHAWKS - We WON teh SUPERBOWL!

Slydon

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Slydon

Staff

spikegirl wrote:I've seen this question on woot before. Does that mean I have been coming here too often, for too long?

It was sliiiightly different last time I asked it. And it means you're here just the right amount of time.

Hi, I'm one of the writers. My powers are limited but I'll do what I can.