WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Your kid is doing something stupid. Do you:
  • 31% - Stop them, possibly using your mother or father's exact words to you when you did the same. 212
  • 64.3% - Watch in secret to make sure they don't die, but let them learn the hard way. 440
  • 2.6% - Let them do whatever, it's not your problem, really. 18
  • 2% - Some other answer you'll be putting in the comments. 14
684 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

agiftagain

quality posts: 0 Private Messages agiftagain

Practically since his birth, this is what I do: I ask him if he thinks it's a good idea; then I say that *I* think it's NOT a good idea; and then I tell him to think about what he does BEFORE he does it, and to always be gentle with himself (our phrase for "exercise caution), and I often remind him, "Safety first!"
This works about 90% of the time now that he's just over three. But even when he was an infant, pre-verbal, he got it most of the time, definitely more than 50%.

boomn4x4

quality posts: 14 Private Messages boomn4x4

I used to prefer the "let them learn the hard way" approach... until I watched my 2 year old snap his femur like a twig when he fell from a playground... So yeah, I don't do that anymore.

When what to my wondering eyes should appear, but a bucket of wings and a six pack of beer!

dns12999

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dns12999

depends on the danger level. As long s she's not going to seriously injure herself let it ride.

daveinwarshington

quality posts: 22 Private Messages daveinwarshington

They are in their 30's.
They can do stupid stuff all day.....

rehta

quality posts: 6 Private Messages rehta

Yeah, depends on what exactly they are doing as to whether the answer would be A or B.

-Heather (First Burgandy Olfactory Center 12/6/11)

division42

quality posts: 0 Private Messages division42

"Hey bud, that looks like it might end in an owie (my boy is just over 2, but he can be reasoned with on occasion). I'm telling you, that's not going to feel good." Shuts cabinet door on finger and starts crying.
"Dude, what did I tell you? You doing to do that again?"
"nooo.."
"Good. Let's go play trains!"