WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Tomorrow marijuana's made legal nationwide. What do you teach your kids about it?
  • 36.6% - The same thing I do now. Drugs are bad, keep away from them. 301
  • 43.4% - Exactly what I say about alcohol. Be smart, stay with a designated driver. 357
  • 11.7% - I'd have to think about it, I don't know enough to answer right now. 96
  • 0.7% - Some other answer I'll put in the comments. 6
  • 7.7% - I'd say hurry up and pass it on the left hand side, kid! 63
823 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

drscotty

quality posts: 0 Private Messages drscotty

My son would hear the same message as for controlled substances (e.g. opioid analgesics): critically important prescription, hugely beneficial under circumstances X + Y &/or Z, use exactly as directed by M.D.

paulpnevada

quality posts: 26 Private Messages paulpnevada

I'd tell them to treat all drugs with respect and that they owe it to themselves and others to be responsible in their use.

RKett

quality posts: 2 Private Messages RKett

Under a docotr's instructions fine, otherwise, you are only turning off brain cells and most people don't have any to spare.

daveinwarshington

quality posts: 15 Private Messages daveinwarshington

Well, it's about to be legal here...

You probably shouldn't teach 'em how to separate the stems and seeds until they are 21.

ManiacDan

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ManiacDan

There is no evidence that Marijuana use does any damage to brain cells, so the "turns off brain cells" kind of comment is just going to INCREASE a kid's chance of using irresponsibly. If you tell them "{SUBSTANCE} is dangerous! it kills brain cells and makes you drive like an badger badger badger" and then they find out that it DOESN'T kill brain cells, what are the odds of them believing you about the driving?

My kid is going to know the generally-accepted scientific facts about all controlled and uncontrolled mind-altering substances. Alcohol makes you temporarily stupid and can do long-term damage to brain and liver functions. Caffeine has serious effects and side-effects, and actually should be controlled by the government, but half the country is strongly addicted so they can't. Marijuana enhances your senses, decreases your reflexes, and makes you want to take a nap, with very little long-term negative effects (compared to other drugs on the list). Nicotine is shockingly addictive, provides the same benefit to your brain as a good piece of dark chocolate, and most delivery mechanism will absolutely ruin your lungs or jaw.

kevin0425

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kevin0425
ManiacDan wrote:There is no evidence that Marijuana use does any damage to brain cells, so the "turns off brain cells" kind of comment is just going to INCREASE a kid's chance of using irresponsibly. If you tell them "{SUBSTANCE} is dangerous! it kills brain cells and makes you drive like an badger badger badger" and then they find out that it DOESN'T kill brain cells, what are the odds of them believing you about the driving?

Care to back up that first comment or just retract it?

Adolescents most at risk of brain damage from longterm, heavy cannibis use: http://www.mcri.edu.au/news/2012/august/adolescents-most-at-risk-of-brain-damage-from-long-term,-heavy-cannabis-use.aspx

Persistent cannabis users show neuropsychological decline from childhood to midlife: http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2012/08/22/1206820109.abstract

That's just two of several studies indicating brain damage to developing adolescent/teenage brains through cannabis use. It should be noted that research has shown that cannibis use on mature brains do not show these kinds of effects. Of course, people for and against cannabis are able to call upon numerous scientific studies supporting their respective positions. I'm neither for nor against it, I just don't like people making false or extremely misleading comments. Cannabis has many active compounds (THC being the dominant one), just like tobacco. A lot more research needs to be done on cannibis to better determine its benefits and detrimental effects and at what levels are beneficial. Americans typically think that if something's good, more HAS to be better and like all other drugs, that's NEVER the case.

ireee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ireee

Thanks Mr. factfinder, you're probably a lot of fun at parties, maybe you can find some facts on the number of people that have overdosed on marijuana. Still zero?