Quality Posts

lichme

quality posts: 2687 Private Messages lichme

Item: ABC Foam Playmat
Price: $17.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Condition: New

Search Amazon Search Google

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
7/8/2013 - $17.99 - 21 comment(s)
3/3/2013 - $17.99 - 19 comment(s)

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3154 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Good reviews (3.8 out of 5.0) over at walmart.com

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3154 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

SO how many sets do I need to buy to spell Woot?

bsmith1

quality posts: 102 Private Messages bsmith1
conanthelibrarian wrote:SO how many sets do I need to buy to spell Woot?

lichme

quality posts: 2687 Private Messages lichme

I thought it necessary to repost my earlier comment:

Personal thoughts: These are one of the things that I love from my childhood. You can use them as puzzle pieces, a tool for learning the alphabetic, or just fun building stuff. Either way, they are very useful for developing essential skills from a young age.

juicius

quality posts: 39 Private Messages juicius

The price is good, but a few caveats...

The foam is thinner and less durable (not as dense) than other larger mats. My dogs (from 50 to 65 lbs) did significant damage to them just by walking on the mat.

Secondly, it needs a flat, level surface. Forget about putting this on a carpet. Unevenness of the surface and smaller size of the individual mat pieces will make the letters pop out.

Third, the cut outs for letters and numbers are great, but they are magnets for dirt and debris. Larger mats interlock more tightly and can resist dirt getting between them, but not these.

If you have a kids play area that has a hardwood or vinyl flooring that you can keep the dogs or other pets away from, then this would be a good covering. Just commit to cleaning this every day though.

zarchitect

quality posts: 4 Private Messages zarchitect

If kids will play with it (I hope), then keep in mind you'll be finding the letter-filler pieces (you know - that small triangle in the "A") all over your house and sucking them up in your vacuum... just a thought. How about some good old paper and crayons to practice, eh? That's what I thought...

bhiga

quality posts: 18 Private Messages bhiga

Agree with juicius - these are thinner than other mats, and the letters definitely pop on thick/uneven carpet.

Also, there are no "border" pieces (if someone knows of a compatible border set, please post!) so expect the edges to be uneven unless you sacrifice some extra pieces to make your own border.

We "floored" our little one's fenced-off area with this and it works well as the fence keeps the mat from shifting too much.

Overall I'm happy with it - it's saved the carpet from more than a few food accidents, but you still may want to put some kind of liner underneath it - or pull it up and vacuum periodically.

sdc100

quality posts: 502 Private Messages sdc100

I wonder why this is only recommended for ages 3+. My 1 year old niece is beginning to crawl and I think this would be perfect. Not only doe it provide cushioning, but it also makes the floor much easier to clean. There is simply no way to keep a normal floor sanitized and clean using an ordinary mop. But with these tiles, you can wash them individually in the tub with hot water and soap. No dirty mop or water to deal with. YOu can even spritz diluted bleach (and rinse) to sanitize (although that may fade the colors, so be careful). This seems like a good way to make sure my niece is always on a clean surface.

PS - yes, I know all the studies showing that a little dirt in childhood actually makes for healthier adults due to a stronger immunity.

sdc100

Does anyone know if there is BPA in these tiles? We plan to have an infant crawling on these and don't want BPA leeching on her skin.

bronwynd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bronwynd
sdc100 wrote:Does anyone know if there is BPA in these tiles? We plan to have an infant crawling on these and don't want BPA leeching on her skin.

An additional consideration is whether these mats contain Formamide, flame re-tardant(*), or PVC, among a host of other questions.

Formamide is a reprotoxic plasticizer used to soften foam and plastics - it was the subject of an EVA foam ban by Belgium and France a few years back.

Flame re-tardant(*)s are concerning because chlorinated and brominated flame re-tardant(*)s accumulate in the body. For example, one type, polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs), have been linked to nervous system and reproductive system damage, as well as thyroid impairment.

PVC (vinyls) contain Phthalates, which are endocrine disruptors.

BPA is a great question - but it's simply one of the better known questions. This is a petroleum-based product with plasticizers, colorizers, stabilizers, and probably a lot more "izers".

Is it safe? Even assuming you had full third-party, independent, certified data sheets and test results, I'm not sure that question is answerable.

I bought a pair of natural rubber yoga mats for my son. I figure if it's biodegradable, natural rubber, the odds might be just a smidge more in my favor.

I doubt it will account for all the things I'm not getting right, but at least I get just a moment of smug self-satisfaction out of it, while I feed him an antibiotic-tainted cheeseburger with a side of GMO French fries and some RBST-laden milk....

(*yes, I know it's not hyphenated, but if I don't hyphenate it and add extra chars, Woot replaces the entire word with "numa numaants", which is rather surprising and rather unhelpful)

sdc100

bronwynd wrote:An additional consideration is whether these mats contain Formamide, flame re-tardant(*), or PVC, among a host of other questions.

Formamide is a reprotoxic plasticizer used to soften foam and plastics - it was the subject of an EVA foam ban by Belgium and France a few years back.

Flame re-tardant(*)s are concerning because chlorinated and brominated flame re-tardant(*)s accumulate in the body. For example, one type, polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs), have been linked to nervous system and reproductive system damage, as well as thyroid impairment.

PVC (vinyls) contain Phthalates, which are endocrine disruptors.

BPA is a great question - but it's simply one of the better known questions. This is a petroleum-based product with plasticizers, colorizers, stabilizers, and probably a lot more "izers".

Is it safe? Even assuming you had full third-party, independent, certified data sheets and test results, I'm not sure that question is answerable.

I bought a pair of natural rubber yoga mats for my son. I figure if it's biodegradable, natural rubber, the odds might be just a smidge more in my favor.

I doubt it will account for all the things I'm not getting right, but at least I get just a moment of smug self-satisfaction out of it, while I feed him an antibiotic-tainted cheeseburger with a side of GMO French fries and some RBST-laden milk....

(*yes, I know it's not hyphenated, but if I don't hyphenate it and add extra chars, Woot replaces the entire word with "numa numaants", which is rather surprising and rather unhelpful)

Thanks for the very thoughtful and informative reply. I've gone from definitely ordering to I'm-not-so-sure-anymore. Those chemicals are indeed concerning -- and the fact that these are made in China makes it even more so. Manufacturing corruption was so bad that even Chinatown stores had signs declaring that they didn't sell food from China.

As for Woot's auto-censoring, yeah, I'm a frequent victim too!

cfox612

quality posts: 4 Private Messages cfox612
sdc100 wrote:I wonder why this is only recommended for ages 3+. My 1 year old niece is beginning to crawl and I think this would be perfect. Not only doe it provide cushioning, but it also makes the floor much easier to clean. There is simply no way to keep a normal floor sanitized and clean using an ordinary mop. But with these tiles, you can wash them individually in the tub with hot water and soap. No dirty mop or water to deal with. YOu can even spritz diluted bleach (and rinse) to sanitize (although that may fade the colors, so be careful). This seems like a good way to make sure my niece is always on a clean surface.

PS - yes, I know all the studies showing that a little dirt in childhood actually makes for healthier adults due to a stronger immunity.

The inserts in the letters (A, B, P to name a few) are rather small and are easily a choking hazard).

Personally I'd spend an extra $7 (only $2 more if you have a 20% off coupon) and get the $25 set from Toys R Us that includes numbers (0-9), edging, and is a bit thicker. Our TRU set has lasted a long time and is very easy to clean.

sdc100

cfox612 wrote:The inserts in the letters (A, B, P to name a few) are rather small and are easily a choking hazard).

Personally I'd spend an extra $7 (only $2 more if you have a 20% off coupon) and get the $25 set from Toys R Us that includes numbers (0-9), edging, and is a bit thicker. Our TRU set has lasted a long time and is very easy to clean.

Good point. I guess we can put duct tape in back to secure those pieces. I'll also look into the TRU set. Thanks!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 547 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Just a reminder....

As mentioned in the features, this product has met all testing requirements for children 3 and up as set forth by the CPSC.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

ChiByakko

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ChiByakko

I have this set and I have a two-year-old and an infant. I would not use these as a playmat for the infant. The pieces come apart too easily and spit-up is a giant mess when it dribbles into the gap between letters (which has been a given during tummy-time for both of my kids). I prefer quilts and washable rugs for playmats for precicely that reason. These are however great as a toy for my older boy. We use them to practice the alphabet in small chunks. They are a puzzle, an ordering tool, they're great to use in alphabet hopscotch and other letter/movement games. We keep them stored on a shelf and quit using them as a mat on the floor though, because they could not stay together and trapped dirt/spit/spills often enough that they would otherwise damage our wood floors.

peedog16

quality posts: 0 Private Messages peedog16

I purchased these from Woot last time. They smelled really bad (almost like polyurethane) for quite a while--i'd suggest airing them outside for a week. But it still makes me nervous when I see one in my son's mouth, remembering that smell. If you're heavily into a toxin-free, organic lifestyle, these are not for you.

mckennaj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mckennaj

I bought something similar from Lowe's just a few days ago--$15 (actually $13--my husband is a veteran, so we got a 10% discount) plus tax, no shipping fee

bruce57

quality posts: 9 Private Messages bruce57
bronwynd wrote:

What an odd statement...kind of reminds me f the old adage, "My mind is made up - don't confuse me with facts."

bronwynd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bronwynd
bruce57 wrote:What an odd statement...kind of reminds me f the old adage, "My mind is made up - don't confuse me with facts."

I guess I'd wonder whether we know what to test for. We had BPA running around forever, and it turns out it's bad. Before we *knew* it was bad, we didn't test for it. So, every test came back with flying colors!

PCB's are getting attention from the FDA just now, and it took deaths to find out that Melamine was being used in milk, formulas and pet treats - but, the products had passed testing (just not for Melamine....)

I'm just not sure how anyone can say "it passed this level of testing and is therefore actually safe".

I think the most that can be said is "it's been checked for things that are already legally required to be tested". And then, it's up to us as individuals to predict whether we trust the product enough for any particular use.

bsmith1

mckennaj wrote:I bought something similar from Lowe's just a few days ago--$15 (actually $13--my husband is a veteran, so we got a 10% discount) plus tax, no shipping fee

was it 7' x 4'? link please!

bsmith1

sdc100 wrote:Good point. I guess we can put duct tape in back to secure those pieces. I'll also look into the TRU set. Thanks!

Or just not use the few pieces with small chunks until the child is older.