WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: From a parent's point of view, what's the best toy?
  • 4.6% - Name brand. Gotta go with one that everyone will know. 29
  • 7.6% - Hand made. One day, that'll be a collectors item. Might pay for college! 48
  • 3.6% - The latest thing. New = best. Always. 23
  • 50.3% - Something sensible that will last a long time. I still have my ol' baseball glove even now! 318
  • 29.7% - Something the child picks out. Nothing's more fun for a kid than the power of holding cash. 188
  • 4.1% - Some other answer I'll put in the comments. 26
632 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

ambergreen

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ambergreen

Something they have asked for over an over and then when they get it, they play with for about 15 minutes and then forget it exists.

Over the summer, the best "toy" was the stuff I saved from the recycling that they used to build their own toys.

BlackCreekBearTRP1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BlackCreekBearTRP1

If it doesn't come with a Blade, or a Barrel (Gun) with it, by the age of 5. Then you are raising your children wrong.

troi4001

quality posts: 4 Private Messages troi4001

I still have my first baseball glove, bought in 1960 from Sears. I played starting from 7th grade and all through high school. It sits in my closet and every now and again I look at it. I played center field. I could catch or field any ball hit in my direction but couldn't bat worth a darn.

fuzzypeaches

quality posts: 10 Private Messages fuzzypeaches

Legos. I bought my son one of those crate-o-Legos when he was around 4. He's 19 years old & still has it. He's saving it for when he has kids of his own.

10 quality post! Whoo hoo! I'M SOMEBODY!!!

roni24

quality posts: 0 Private Messages roni24

Something I can play together with them.

beaglebrains

quality posts: 4 Private Messages beaglebrains

Toys? No need to think about it - we have the toys. All of them. We have the only grandchild in my wife's family...

Spiky

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Spiky

Cardboard box. That's all they ever play with, anyway.

bblhed

quality posts: 7 Private Messages bblhed

A toy that they play with until it is no longer of any use or value, those are the best toys and the ones we all remember.

hoomgar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hoomgar

What ever toy brings the child the most and longest lasting entertainment.

olperfesser

quality posts: 2 Private Messages olperfesser
Spiky wrote:Cardboard box. That's all they ever play with, anyway.

Best. Toy. Ever.

roadlizard7

quality posts: 1 Private Messages roadlizard7
Spiky wrote:Cardboard box. That's all they ever play with, anyway.

Either Mr. Box or possibly Mr. Stick.

Starblind

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Starblind

The absolute best all-around toy is a pool. It's good exercise, the whole family can enjoy it together, it's fun at any age, and it even adds to the value of the house!

kevin0425

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kevin0425

Optimally it's something they can play with that they can change or re-invent over and over again, like someone mentioned above about a box. My daughter loves cardboard boxes (like the big ones from Amazon that I get every month with our subscriptions!) - she draws all over them and makes them into whatever she wants to; from a car to plane to a spaceship - anything.

Legos or other building block-toys are also like this - they can be anything you want to create within the limitations of what blocks you have (which is why I always look for the kits with lots of parts). I know engineers like myself that use legos now for fast concept prototyping and robotics. It's the toys that allow kids (and even their parents) to use their imagination to create whatever they want - those are the toys that stay with you for years.