conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3914 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Pretty good reviews (4.3 out of 5.0) over at toysrus.com

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3914 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Lets watch this overview

lichme

quality posts: 3187 Private Messages lichme

Can I race people in these, and shoot colored shells at them?

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com
Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat | Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

Warning: Too much awesome to be contained in such a small space

DennisEChung

quality posts: 67 Private Messages DennisEChung

Kett-Cars are awesome! We have owned 5 and still have 4. The frames vary in size (I have seen small, med, and large). The smaller ones have rubber treaded plastic tires and the large ones like this Woot have pneumatic ones. My son has outgrown the smallest one which was gifted away, but he still enjoys the mid size ones.

I have 2 of the larger pneumatic ones, older versions of this Woot, and at 5'9", 155 lbs, I can fit on them and race my son, albeit lose.

The gear shifter allows freewheeling downhill and the brakes work well. Handling is superb - corners like it's on rails with responsive hook-and-groove steering.

These last forever and are easy to tinker with and tune-up if you're somewhat mechanical or have experience with bikes. Other than rust there's not much that can go wrong, and I do advise storing them indoors when not in use.

Best of all they're kid-powered and great exercise! They are expensive but German engineered and high quality. However I don't need another.

pamtha

quality posts: 14 Private Messages pamtha

Oh my! My kids encountered these pedal cars at a campground this summer and have been begging me for one ever since. They had a blast riding and racing them around the Jellystone Speedway in Hagerstown MD. They must be durable, as these were the exact ones used and abused there.

nanaejt

quality posts: 4 Private Messages nanaejt
conanthelibrarian wrote:Lets watch this overview

Thanks for posting the video but wish the narrator spoke English because I don't understand Swedish ;-)

labyrinthia

quality posts: 15 Private Messages labyrinthia

We have this one upping contest with the neighbors. They bought a big wheel, we bought a razor rip rider, they bought a razor rip rider that sparks... do you think this would mean we won?

LobbVT

quality posts: 1 Private Messages LobbVT
labyrinthia wrote:We have this one upping contest with the neighbors. They bought a big wheel, we bought a razor rip rider, they bought a razor rip rider that sparks... do you think this would mean we won?

Possibly, but this one would be better:

http://www.amazon.com/Buddy-Pedal-Go-Kart-Orange/dp/B004FTQ04C

You don't brake using a bar that rubs the tire, like the woot one. You brake using the pedals like kids' bicycles.

hmcglothlin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hmcglothlin
LobbVT wrote:Possibly, but this one would be better:

You don't brake using a bar that rubs the tire, like the woot one. You brake using the pedals like kids' bicycles.

On this Pedal Car you can brake two ways, one with the Hand Brake the other with the pedals.

barraocinneide

quality posts: 0 Private Messages barraocinneide
LobbVT wrote:Possibly, but this one would be better:

These have been around for so long. My cousin had them when they were kids, they're now in their mid to late 20's. The hand brake works awesome. We used to pull e-brake turns all the time. The thing with back pedal brakes is that if the vehicle builds a lot of momentum, e.g. a steepish hill, it can be hard to engage that back pedal motion to stop. The forward momentum can kick your feet forward. Being able to grab a hand brake means they can slow it down and control it a little better. Just my 2c.

vatchman

quality posts: 9 Private Messages vatchman

I have bought several used Kett cars for my boy ranging in size. They are absolutely the best!

compunaut

quality posts: 2 Private Messages compunaut

Bought an older version of this Kettler on Craigslist. Extremely well made; expect it would last generations. Free-wheeling feature is amazing, and one of the best reasons to buy it. Adjustable seat allows even medium-sized adults to ride it... umm... 'test the course for safety' (I'm 6', 180lb). Works great on long, gradual slope; especially if it starts with a short steep to build momentum more quickly.

Downside? Pedal/gearing doesn't seem to have very much mechanical advantage, and the thing is kinda heavy. Forget any uphill pedalling.

Guess I need to think about some sort of rope tow device to get us back up the hill...

tsfisch

quality posts: 42 Private Messages tsfisch

I picked up an older one of these at a garage sale for a steal. It's probably 20 years old but it's built like a tank and will probably last another 100 with some care lol.

My kids love it.