conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3528 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Check out these comments from when this was offered in July

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3528 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Let's watch a video overview

shareef777

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shareef777

I ordered one of these when they were offered in July. Worth every penny. Just had a new baby this past Monday and my wife and I have been using this unit every day. The signal is crystal clear throughout the house (approximately 3000 sq ft home). The VOX feature is fantastic for the middle of the night as it keeps the screen off so as to not keep you up all night and powers on when sound is made.

The unit I had did have a bad battery, but Levana support had a replacement at my home in a couple days.

beck12

quality posts: 41 Private Messages beck12

I am very concerned about video monitors now....I did want one. :/

PLEASE check out this link:http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2013/08/baby-monitor-hacking-alarms-houston-parents/

From the link, this quote
"The incident occurred on Aug. 10 as Marc Gilbert was doing the dishes after his birthday dinner and he heard strange noises coming from his daughter Allyson’s room while she was sleeping, Gilbert said.

“Right away I knew something was wrong,” he told ABC News.

As he and his wife got closer to the room, they heard the voice calling his daughter an “effing overly attached girlfriend,” and telling her,”‘wake up you little pew pew.”

The hacker then began shouting expletives at her parents and calling Gilbert a stupid overly attached girlfriend and his wife a b****.

“At that point I ran over and disconnected it and tried to figure out what happened,” said Gilbert. “[ I ] Couldn’t see the guy. All you could do was hear his voice and [that] he was controlling the camera.”

[MOD: This unit does not use your home network. It's digital wireless. See rep's post below.]

spending my kid's college funds one woot off at a time

arhuizenga

quality posts: 1 Private Messages arhuizenga
beck12 wrote:I am very concerned about video monitors now....I did want one. :/

PLEASE check out this link:http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2013/08/baby-monitor-hacking-alarms-houston-parents/

"The incident occurred on Aug. 10 as Marc Gilbert was doing the dishes after his birthday dinner and he heard strange noises coming from his daughter Allyson’s room while she was sleeping, Gilbert said.

As he and his wife got closer to the room, they heard the voice calling his daughter an “effing overly attached girlfriend,” and telling her,”‘wake up you little pew pew.”

The hacker then began shouting expletives at her parents and calling Gilbert a stupid overly attached girlfriend and his wife a b****.

“At that point I ran over and disconnected it and tried to figure out what happened,” said Gilbert. “[I] Couldn’t see the guy. All you could do was hear his voice and [that] he was controlling the camera.”

That's only for units that use your wireless network to communicate. Think this one is a direct communication using radio waves.

iadams

quality posts: 1 Private Messages iadams
beck12 wrote:I am very concerned about video monitors now....I did want one. :/

“At that point I ran over and disconnected it and tried to figure out what happened,” said Gilbert. “[I] Couldn’t see the guy. All you could do was hear his voice and [that] he was controlling the camera.”

It should be noted that in my opinion, this is not technically a "hack." They were using the default username and password. Anyone who puts a device on a network and uses the defaults is asking for trouble. Would you be surprised if you kept your jewelry box sitting in the front yard and your jewelry got stolen? Of course not, that's why you keep it safely inside. Failure to secure your home network, then blaming the device is no different than storing the jewelry in the yard and blaming the jeweler for making something pretty and valuable. The 'hacked' camera worked exactly as designed, unfortunately the parents could not be bothered to secure it.

canucker1983

quality posts: 17 Private Messages canucker1983

Greetings Wooters!

I'm a Levana company rep here to answer any questions you may have.

Ask away!

Defender Company Rep

canucker1983

arhuizenga wrote:That's only for units that use your wireless network to communicate. Think this one is a direct communication using radio waves.

Correct! This unit uses secure digital wireless 2.4 Ghz FHSS (Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum) which is designed to prevent such things from happening.
Wikipedia does a good job of explaining this technology (used by the military).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frequency-hopping_spread_spectrum

Our monitors all use this technology and are secure from hackers.

Defender Company Rep

kahlid74

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kahlid74
canucker1983 wrote:Correct! This unit uses secure digital wireless 2.4 Ghz FHSS (Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum) which is designed to prevent such things from happening.
Wikipedia does a good job of explaining this technology (used by the military).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frequency-hopping_spread_spectrum

Our monitors all use this technology and are secure from hackers.

FHSS is great but I assume since you say 2.4Ghz that you're in the same band as home networks using wireless technologies. Do you have a way to hard code the frequency or will it always use FHSS? That could be a nightmare for people whose homes are stuck on Channel 6 and you're hopping everywhere from 1-11. Lots of interference.

jonrizzo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jonrizzo
canucker1983 wrote:Greetings Wooters!

I'm a Levana company rep here to answer any questions you may have.

Ask away!

Would this camera/monitor work in conjunction with another Levana system I purchased off woot months ago (Era Elite 32104)? Also does it have speaker on front of the monitor or the back? The Era Elite is on the back and at times I can hardly hear the baby

canucker1983

kahlid74 wrote:FHSS is great but I assume since you say 2.4Ghz that you're in the same band as home networks using wireless technologies. Do you have a way to hard code the frequency or will it always use FHSS? That could be a nightmare for people whose homes are stuck on Channel 6 and you're hopping everywhere from 1-11. Lots of interference.

Our customer reviews indicate that people rarely if ever run into interference issues with this monitor.

There is no way to hard code the frequency with this or any similar baby monitor that I'm aware of.

Defender Company Rep

canucker1983

jonrizzo wrote:Would this camera/monitor work in conjunction with another Levana system I purchased off woot months ago (Era Elite 32104)? Also does it have speaker on front of the monitor or the back? The Era Elite is on the back and at times I can hardly hear the baby

Hello, unfortunately the two products are not cross-compatible.

The speaker is on the back of the monitor and the volume is adjustable.

Defender Company Rep

rllowry0225

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rllowry0225

Which model is it?

canucker1983

rllowry0225 wrote:Which model is it?

This model is the Safe N'See Advanced

Defender Company Rep

KashousKlay

quality posts: 0 Private Messages KashousKlay
canucker1983 wrote:This model is the Safe N'See Advanced

Which specific camera model(s) are compatible with this monitor to add as the additional cameras?

Kaddyjean

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kaddyjean
canucker1983 wrote:This model is the Safe N'See Advanced

Can an additional camera be added?

canucker1983

KashousKlay wrote:Which specific camera model(s) are compatible with this monitor to add as the additional cameras?

Camera model LV-TW501-C is compatible. Here's a link on Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/Levana-Additional-Camera-Safe-nSee/dp/B005NK10E2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377872674&sr=8-1&keywords=lv-tw501-c

Defender Company Rep

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 569 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

The "I want one" button is throbbing, wooters. Time to get off the fence!

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

canucker1983

Kaddyjean wrote:Can an additional camera be added?

Yes! This model supports up to four cameras.

Defender Company Rep

franksmom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages franksmom

What model # is this? And is is new or refurbished?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 569 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

franksmom wrote:What model # is this? And is is new or refurbished?

It was the Levana LV-TW502 Safe N' See. It was New.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

pentiumjen

quality posts: 13 Private Messages pentiumjen

Does anyone else who received this have a dead battery? The monitor works just fine when pulged into an outlet but is stone cold dead on battery power.

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 158 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

pentiumjen wrote:Does anyone else who received this have a dead battery? The monitor works just fine when pulged into an outlet but is stone cold dead on battery power.

If you're having issues with your purchase, it should still be under a 1 Year Warranty through Levana.

We recommend that you contact their Customer Support Page to see if they can help rectify the issue.

If they're unable to help you, please feel free to email into Woot Member Services at support@woot.com

shspringergmailcom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shspringergmailcom
pentiumjen wrote:Does anyone else who received this have a dead battery? The monitor works just fine when pulged into an outlet but is stone cold dead on battery power.

I had the same issue. I assume faulty battery. Waiting for a response from Levana.