Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3325 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Great reviews (4.8 out of 5.0) on the french set over at amazon

conanthelibrarian

Let's read some more info and see all the awards they have won over at littlepim.com

conanthelibrarian

Check out this review from wired.com

theesj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages theesj

Checked out the Japanese set from the library. Great for free (or maybe $5/dvd) definitely not worth $65. I'd recommend you pass this deal and just go to your library.

developerzero

quality posts: 9 Private Messages developerzero

Why no Japanese?

It's always Spanish, Chinese, French, ESL; but never Japanese.

developerzero

quality posts: 9 Private Messages developerzero
theesj wrote:Checked out the Japanese set from the library. Great for free (or maybe $5/dvd) definitely not worth $65. I'd recommend you pass this deal and just go to your library.

You just HAD to post that while I was typing mine with one hand. Stupid buttery popcorn.

alextse

quality posts: 23 Private Messages alextse

Does Little Pim = Pimsleur? That's a pretty recognized name in language education.

wrmohamed

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wrmohamed

darn! I need arabic.

Warp3

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Warp3
alextse wrote:Does Little Pim = Pimsleur? That's a pretty recognized name in language education.

Your post got me curious, so I dug around on littlepim.com and didn't see any references to Pimsleur or Simon and Schuster (the publisher of Pimsleur), until I found this block of text on the "About / Our Method" page:

"BEHIND THE METHOD

Inspired by her own bilingual childhood, our founder Julia Pimsleur Levine developed the Entertainment Immersion Method® working with leading neuroscientist Dr. April Benasich, Director of the Rutgers Infancy Studies Lab. Julia is the daughter of Dr. Paul Pimsleur, creator of the Pimsleur Method, a popular language learning program for adults."

maggiecain

quality posts: 9 Private Messages maggiecain

We like Little Pim (French) a lot. We used to watch them on YouTube, but it looks like they cleared them out. Our library does have them, but I might bite on this since my oldest will be starting language in school. PS. I'm a foreign language teacher and have seen lots of these types of programs.

marquis1photo

quality posts: 4 Private Messages marquis1photo

They need Tagalog.

Buckycubes and misc kids.woots.
I love woot-offs

satyenshah

quality posts: 8 Private Messages satyenshah

Is the Chinese in Mandarin or Cantonese?

BPL5683

quality posts: 24 Private Messages BPL5683

Staff

satyenshah wrote:Is the Chinese in Mandarin or Cantonese?

It's Mandarin

Email customer service: support@woot.com for order problems ~OR~ Use the Support form linked at the top of every page.

Manki

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Manki

I kind of want this but I don't have children. What are the social implications of watching this for myself

-

lross77

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lross77

FYI-I bought French DVDs a few months back and they do not play in my car DVD player. This was a huge bummer seeing as how we're in the car a lot and my kids get in some of their learning/memorization by listening or watching in the car.

zuiquan

quality posts: 23 Private Messages zuiquan

I've found that once you learn another language besides the one you're taught at home and school that it becomes much easier to learn other languages down the road because you have a better understanding of how they work and how to break them down. The earlier you start learning that second language the easier it is to pick up others along the way.

madanimalscientist

quality posts: 0 Private Messages madanimalscientist

This reminds me of the Muzzy videos they used to show us in school. And from personal experience the earlier you start a kid, the less of an accent they'll have as an adult if they keep up with it. My mom started me on Spanish in preschool, kept it up, and now I speak without an American accent.

zuiquan

quality posts: 23 Private Messages zuiquan
madanimalscientist wrote:This reminds me of the Muzzy videos they used to show us in school. And from personal experience the earlier you start a kid, the less of an accent they'll have as an adult if they keep up with it. My mom started me on Spanish in preschool, kept it up, and now I speak without an American accent.

So which accent do you have? I'm just curious, I know Spanish varies quite a bit regionally. Most languages have their own regional accent. I speak Mandarin and my accent is mostly Beijingr because that's where most of my teachers were from. In fact, I often have a tough time understanding people from Taiwan and that area of coastal China just because their accents are so strong.

badlass

quality posts: 7 Private Messages badlass
zuiquan wrote:I've found that once you learn another language besides the one you're taught at home and school that it becomes much easier to learn other languages down the road because you have a better understanding of how they work and how to break them down. The earlier you start learning that second language the easier it is to pick up others along the way.

That doesn't work for me I spoke one language at home growing up and a different one at school. My attempt at picking up a 3rd language by learning it at school was a disaster...