2%
3%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

lichme

quality posts: 2658 Private Messages lichme

Item: HALO Construction Sets - Your Choice!
Price: $49.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard OR $12 Two-Day OR $15 One-Day
Condition: New

Search Amazon Search Google

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3119 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Two pretty good comments (4.5 out of 5.0) on the Banshee Blitz set over at toysrus.com

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3119 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Lot's of additional info and videos can be found over at halo.megabloks.com

theguruguys

quality posts: 276 Private Messages theguruguys

Megabloks, while still not as good as Lego, have upped their game in recent years. I picked up several of these sets on sale for 75% off at Target's recent clearance and am happy with the ones I have put together (Orbital Banshee Blitz, Covenant Wrath). They have stayed together well.

infallible

quality posts: 7 Private Messages infallible

I've long said that if you ever want to dissuade a child from playing with construction toys, buy them Mega Blox. If you're thinking that it's a marginal difference when compared to LEGO, you're wrong. The plastic is not consistent, it doesn't snap together right, doesn't hold together, and isn't as durable. Giving these to kids and expecting them to be creative will only lead them to frustration and disappointment because the blocks just don't work right.

Stick to LEGO.

19 www.Woots / 1 tech.Woot / 1 wine.Woots / 13 shirt.Woots / 6 sellout.Woots

barkwoot

quality posts: 56 Private Messages barkwoot

I've purchased 3 of these sets for my 8 year old. He loves playing with them.

He is a very skilled Lego builder, but some of these MegaBloks give him fits. He was able to put the Orbital Banshee and Warthog Resistance together without any assistance. The Sabre Countdown was a completely different story. He was frequently frustrated by the similarly colored bricks, confusing instructions, and poorly fitting bricks. I had to tear through his work several times to find a missing piece and probably wound up completing about 75% of the build myself. As a comparison, he was able to build a 3800+ piece Lego set about 85% by himself, 2 years ago.

My biggest concerns about MegaBloks are that they don't separate the pieces into numbered bags (open all 1241 pieces at once for the Sabre Countdown), have instructions that can be very confusing, and the bricks do not fit together well. This last one is the biggest headache for me. I've had to muscle many pieces together, only to see them separate later. I have finally sworn off MegaBloks after having put together their Halo Elephant set. There were 2 8x16 plates in it that were warped and wouldn't let the top 1/3 of the Elephant fit together snuggly. I fought with this for hours over many different days. I'm done with MegaBloks.

zoneman

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zoneman

Too many specialized parts. I really dislike sets that contain so many parts that cannot be re-purposed.

scratchspider

quality posts: 5 Private Messages scratchspider
infallible wrote:I've long said that if you ever want to dissuade a child from playing with construction toys, buy them Mega Blox. If you're thinking that it's a marginal difference when compared to LEGO, you're wrong. The plastic is not consistent, it doesn't snap together right, doesn't hold together, and isn't as durable. Giving these to kids and expecting them to be creative will only lead them to frustration and disappointment because the blocks just don't work right.

Stick to LEGO.

At $100+ for some moderately sized sets, some just can't afford Lego. Mega Bloks are a pretty decent, MUCH cheaper alternative, and they work just as well. I still have my pieces from the Blok Bots sets and Battleship I got about 13 years ago, and they're fully mixed in with my Lego pieces. Never had an issue with either not working properly, even when used together.

It really comes down to which franchise your kid likes. If they like Star Wars or Harry Potter or whatever, ya gotta get Lego. If they like Halo, you're stuck with Mega Bloks. Can't go wrong with either.

soundsofamime

quality posts: 1 Private Messages soundsofamime

I'm 28 and I own every Megablock Halo set. I love them. The nerd in me wants to collect them all, the kid in me wants to build and play with them all, and the adult in me gets to pay for it!

ysss

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ysss

These Arnold Legos!!

Boredmaster

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Boredmaster

Mega Blox tend to cost less than 1/2 what Legos do, and are way more than 1/2 as good. So, yeah, if money is no option, go with Legos. But if you want to save a pretty penny then you can't go wrong with Mega Blox. The anti-Mega Blox rants are usually not from children or expert builders. It's usually the ones that need the extra simplicity and easy factor of Legos.