conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3645 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Solid reviews (3.8 out of 5.0) on the Classic model over at amazon

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3645 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Check out these comments for these back when they were sold in June

alextse

quality posts: 24 Private Messages alextse

Supposedly the latest research shows that kids learn better basic bicycling skills on these balance bikes than on a bike with training wheels. Apparently balancing on two wheels is a lot more difficult to learn than to push pedals with your feet. We got one of these elsewhere, jury is still out on my three year old.

chriscook9174

quality posts: 1 Private Messages chriscook9174

We purchased one of these last time they were on woot and my 4 year old loves it. Great bike and very sturdy. Only issue we had was the bolts would work their way loose and we would have to go on a Easter egg hunt looking for the missing pieces. After a little super glue on the threads, it works perfect now. As a matter of fact he spent the day riding it around today. He also brought it with him to daycare one time and all the kids loved it. The care taker ended up buying one to keep on site because the kids loved it so much.

elinelim

quality posts: 0 Private Messages elinelim

Woot had something like this about 2 years ago for $25. (I wasn't going to spend ~$90 for a Strider). My son started using the balance bike at around 2yr. he is now 3.5yr old and can ride a bike with no training wheels. So, in my experience, its great.

avrom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages avrom

The streaks from the stars on the princess bike are going the wrong way considering the wheel rotation. Way to trigger my OCD, woot.

fgarriel

quality posts: 22 Private Messages fgarriel

I've got two kids, ages 4 & 6. I bought one for my son. My daughter was too big for it, but I used the same method to teach her to ride. I just removed the pedals from her bike. Once she got good at gliding, I added one pedal and taught her to glide using the initial thrust from one pedal push-down. Then I added the other pedal, and the rest is history.

Here's my daughter, yesterday, riding for the first time without training wheels or assistance. It was sudden and magical. You can see my son tailing her on the same style balance bike that's being offered here today.

Click here to see the video. (it's only 30 seconds)

chadu

quality posts: 1 Private Messages chadu

We got one of these the last time Woot! offered them. My 2 year old loves his. He glides and glides... Maybe next year he may be able to get on a pedal bike, but even if we don't do that, we can bump up the seat height and he'll still be able to keep riding this.

Highly recommended if you have small kids.

kelemvor

quality posts: 3 Private Messages kelemvor

These works great but I just bought a small kids bike from Craigslist for like $5 and took off the pedals. Same thing. My 4 year old will probably be riding a regular bike by the end of summer.

boomn4x4

quality posts: 13 Private Messages boomn4x4

Bought one for my two year old... he's 4 now and still loves it. We have gotten him a real 2 wheeler, but he doesn't want to ride it... I'm going to have to get rid of the balance bike or he'll never learn.

When what to my wondering eyes should appear, but a bucket of wings and a six pack of beer!

jonmarkosy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jonmarkosy

Is there a benefit to buying this rather than removing the pedals from a normal kids bike?

kelemvor

quality posts: 3 Private Messages kelemvor
jonmarkosy wrote:Is there a benefit to buying this rather than removing the pedals from a normal kids bike?

Not really. However, I do get strange looks when people look at my kid's bike and realize something is wrong but they can't quite figure out what it is right away...

reverman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages reverman
alextse wrote:Supposedly the latest research shows that kids learn better basic bicycling skills on these balance bikes than on a bike with training wheels. Apparently balancing on two wheels is a lot more difficult to learn than to push pedals with your feet. We got one of these elsewhere, jury is still out on my three year old.

I've watched the neighbor kid use one, he is just over 2, anecdotal I know but I do see that he is way more advanced than my two kids were on bikes. I pretty sure he could move straight to a bike without training wheels before he turns 3

Creeper1313

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Creeper1313

Nice bike. You ever take it off any sweet jumps?

grinbuy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages grinbuy

Does it turn?

jjdche

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jjdche
grinbuy wrote:Does it turn?

Didn't notice that, but now I'm wondering, too. It doesn't look like it.

AnthonyBramante

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AnthonyBramante
jjdche wrote:Didn't notice that, but now I'm wondering, too. It doesn't look like it.

Yep, it turns just fine.

jjdche

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jjdche
AnthonyBramante wrote:Yep, it turns just fine.

I guess I should've been more clear. It doesn't appear that the handlebars turn. Even in the GIS there are no pictures with this bike with the handlebars turned. It appears that is common with these balance bikes.

Maybe they turn just slightly? According to this there is a 'turn limiter'.

kdelong2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kdelong2

We just took the pedals off of our girls bikes. They pretty much learned in about 1 day to ride their bikes so this would have been a waste of money if I were buying it for the purpose of only teaching them how to ride a bike without training wheels.

trinifawk

quality posts: 2 Private Messages trinifawk
Creeper1313 wrote:Nice bike. You ever take it off any sweet jumps?

Rep for the Napoleon Dynamite reference.

dorimondon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dorimondon

My 2.5 year old is terrified of hers, plus the red handles bleached out on the top after two days sitting in the sun. Cute bike tho - we got the floral, but she refuses to ride it at ALL.

chadu wrote:We got one of these the last time Woot! offered them. My 2 year old loves his. He glides and glides... Maybe next year he may be able to get on a pedal bike, but even if we don't do that, we can bump up the seat height and he'll still be able to keep riding this.

Highly recommended if you have small kids.