WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Your child's first real horror film:
  • 10.3% - 16 or older. 62
  • 17.7% - 14 to 16. Just old enough to not know all the cliches. 106
  • 25% - 11 to 13. In a way that makes them think I don't know what they're doing, for extra fun. 150
  • 12% - 9 or 10. Gotta toughen 'em up to live in a world like this. 72
  • 6.5% - Age 7 or 8. Then they hopefully won't ask again until they're 19. 39
  • 9.5% - Whenever they say "What are you watching, Mom and Dad?" is old enough. 57
  • 19% - After they move out! I would never show my child a horror film. NOT EVER. 114
600 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

fuzzypeaches

quality posts: 10 Private Messages fuzzypeaches

I cannot watch horror movies myself. Even some of the commercials for them scare the crap out of me. I honestly don't know how old my son was when he saw his first horror movie & with whom he saw it. I'm guessing he watched something with my ex-husband. My son is 19 & loves horror. He didn't get that from me.

10 quality post! Whoo hoo! I'M SOMEBODY!!!

trixierix

quality posts: 1 Private Messages trixierix

I remembered being scared crapless watching Nightmare on Elm Street when I was about 5yrs old. Had reoccurring nightmares about it. But you know what? I was one of my faves. I watched it everytime it came on no matter how scary.

My house had no tv or video game restrictions and I won't impose any on my children either.

moles1138

quality posts: 24 Private Messages moles1138

I think it was '71 I saw "Andromeda Strain" on TV. Scared me then. Favorite Movie now. Still scares me. Always considered it a horror movie. Much like "Alien". They've just got Sci-Fi (Syfy?) trappings.

noodle192000

quality posts: 0 Private Messages noodle192000

When I was a toddler my favorite movies were Wizard of Oz and Poltergeist. My kindergarten friends and I had a little group going where one kid was Freddy Kreuger, one was Robocop, one was Batman, and I was a poltergeist. It went over very well at that private Christian school.

My dad, though, thought it was a smart idea to take me to see Aliens in the theater because I loved "monster movies" and still do. I was three and that one proved to be a bit too intense for me. I avoided it until I was sixteen.

My son is 20 months but whether I let him see a horror movie depends on the movie itself but also his personality. It basically boils down to knowing what his limits are.

HomerTime

quality posts: 1 Private Messages HomerTime

I said "never", but merely because I don't like horror movies myself. I don't loathe them in the sense they frighten me, I just don't find them entertaining as a general rule.

Once a kid gets to age 12 or so, he/she could probably handle it and I would let him/her watch it if that was his/her choice.

theco2

quality posts: 75 Private Messages theco2

Where is the option of, "my ex wife lets my kids watch whatever they want, from the day they were born."