WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: On a scale of 1 to Full-On ADHD, how easily distractable would you say your child is?
  • 17% - 1 or 2. He's/she's a pretty focused little guy/gal. 99
  • 50.3% - It depends on the day/activity/mood. 293
  • 30.8% - How high does the scale go? Yeah. That. 179
  • 1.9% - Let's talk about this in the comments. 11
582 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

thumperchick

quality posts: 238 Private Messages thumperchick

Woot, you should know...
I don't have kids. Every time I answer a poll, read 'daily,' I answer it with my dogs in mind.

Don't judge me.

phredt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages phredt

I was going to answer this poll, but i got distracted halfway thru reading it.

bejacques

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bejacques

You're asking about my ADHD kid? The one in all honors and AP classes? The one who is already being recruited by colleges? The one who volunteers 100+ hours to the community each year? She's amazing and has learned to be very focused. Thanks for asking.

How about you stop with the lousy stereotypes?

thayag

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thayag
bejacques wrote:You're asking about my ADHD kid? The one in all honors and AP classes? The one who is already being recruited by colleges? The one who volunteers 100+ hours to the community each year? She's amazing and has learned to be very focused. Thanks for asking.

It is not necessarily stereotyping,y son has ADHD and even though he is very smart, he had trouble focusing in school to the point of failure. This was very devastating to him and his self esteem. We saw a doctor and hopefully got him on the right medication (which I fought doing for years due to horror stories) and he seems to be doing much better (with the true test coming with the new school year).

This is a real problem with some very frustrated parents and children out there. I am very happy your daughter has found a way to turn her ADHD into something wonderful and if you have any suggestions or tid-bit secrets that will help my son, ny all means please share.

RKett

quality posts: 2 Private Messages RKett
bejacques wrote:You're asking about my ADHD kid? The one in all honors and AP classes? The one who is already being recruited by colleges? The one who volunteers 100+ hours to the community each year? She's amazing and has learned to be very focused. Thanks for asking.

It's a poll of one of the common symptoms of the disorder, how is that a stereotype?

czechmate64

quality posts: 0 Private Messages czechmate64
thayag wrote:It is not necessarily stereotyping,y son has ADHD and even though he is very smart, he had trouble focusing in school to the point of failure. This was very devastating to him and his self esteem. We saw a doctor and hopefully got him on the right medication (which I fought doing for years due to horror stories) and he seems to be doing much better (with the true test coming with the new school year).

This is a real problem with some very frustrated parents and children out there. I am very happy your daughter has found a way to turn her ADHD into something wonderful and if you have any suggestions or tid-bit secrets that will help my son, ny all means please share.

You sound just like me and my son. I fought tooth and nail for years to keep him off the medication. Changed his diet etc and it didn't help enough. I finally gave in and he is now taking the right medication. He went from 30%-40% and not passing to 90%-100%! The teachers and I couldn't believe how much of a difference it made! The first medication made him into a zombie and depressed but this new one hasn't changed his personality at all! It's sad, but he lost a lot of friends because of his ADHD. I hope the new school year will be different for him.

dnlkolender

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dnlkolender

No child but mine is way full on.

deadeye37

quality posts: 3 Private Messages deadeye37

I didn't think my kids were very crazy until I was stranded with them last night. They had been cooped up in the house all day due to us prepping the house for incoming family. My wife had to go somewhere for a couple of hours, so I had to keep the kids alive until she got back. Flooded bathroom, self hair cut, trashed kitchen, and homemade tattoos all happened within the 5 minutes it took me to answer a call of nature. What were they doing before I went into the bathroom? All sitting nicely on the couch watching a Disney movie. Soon, my 5,4, and 2 year old will be old enough for me to give them the curse "I hope you have kids just like you".