quality posts: 2913 Private Messages lichme

Find some more details on the Product Page
Compare to Amazon at $49.99

cappo

quality posts: 34 Private Messages cappo

I am intrigued.

cappo

I also found an error: "We're telling you, if we wanted you delectable morsels into your mouth, we'd be including flour and chives and butter,"

lalaclassic

quality posts: 51 Private Messages lalaclassic

Seriously thinking about buying this. Does anyone know how you clean them and if they smell? Would they make a good cubicle pet?

I was thinking about getting a beta, but these are so much neater. What do you feed them?

lalaclassic

quality posts: 51 Private Messages lalaclassic

http://www.petco.com/assets/caresheets/fish/african-dwarf-frog.pdf

PDF from Petco on how to take care of them. Looks like you don't have to change the water that often. I'm guessing it is because they breathe air.

[MOD: Changed it to a direct link]

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 569 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

lalaclassic wrote:Seriously thinking about buying this. Does anyone know how you clean them and if they smell? Would they make a good cubicle pet?

I was thinking about getting a beta, but these are so much neater. What do you feed them?

The Kids team has had these guys in their area for a couple weeks now. I'd say they'd be good cubical pets. They have a lid and I didn't notice any odor.

As to food, it comes with a year's worth of food. The manufacturer's site (listed in a post above) sells more food.

As far as cleaning, that I don't have an answer for yet.

For those concerned with the size of the container, you could definitely upgrade to a larger tank and use this one as a temporary holding pen when cleaning the tank.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

aurora733

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aurora733

Woot, I am disappointed in you for selling these poor creatures and supporting this filthy business.

To everyone else, please do not buy these. These live animals are subjected to filthy conditions and 2 of them cannot be healthily maintained let alone thrive in a few ounces of water.

http://www.peta.org/living/animal-friendly-fun/five-cruelty-free-ways-to-keep-frogs-in-your-home.aspx

tbq

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tbq
lalaclassic wrote:What do you feed them?

I'm guessing that the food that's included will about cover them for their entire lifespan.

If they do outlive their food wikipedia says, "Common foods include blood worms, brine shrimp, water fleas (daphnia), shrimp, and various brands of commercial frog food. These frogs will also eat mosquito larvae, black worms, guppy fry, glassworms, tadpole bites, reptomin, gammarus, dried krill, baby shrimp, frozen beefheart, small fish, and small earthworms."

sdfreedive

quality posts: 25 Private Messages sdfreedive

So umm do we need to transfer these to a new tank?

per the wiki link you posted, "These frogs are suggested to be kept in a group of two or more due to their social nature. A minimum of two gallons per frog (since they are each around two inches when stretched out) is needed to keep these frogs, as they are very active and need the space to move."

The tank that comes with this kit is 4"x6"x5" which is a lot less then 4 gallons. Is this sorta a starter tank?

danie2519

quality posts: 2 Private Messages danie2519
lalaclassic wrote:http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&sqi=2&ved=0CC0QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.petco.com%2Fassets%2Fcaresheets%2Ffish%2Fafrican-dwarf-frog.pdf&ei=7af0Ud-pJ5ax4APCyoCYAQ&usg=AFQjCNEgRrT2Y0et2AhGsZTlC8pCngYBnQ&sig2=SH_-eQp5hWVt4tWfrPyIMw&bvm=bv.49784469,d.dmg&cad=rja

PDF from Petco on how to take care of them. Looks like you don't have to change the water that often. I'm guessing it is because they breathe air.

I would guess water changing probably does need to be done very regularly. The little box that comes with these frogs is tiny; the recommended aquarium size in the Petco information says they recommend a minimum 10 gallon aquarium. They also recommend a filter.....

BooferFTW

quality posts: 4 Private Messages BooferFTW

I LOVED my little dwarf claw frogs! I choose them over a beta any day. ALWAYS keep the lid on the aquarium! You clean the tank much like you would a beta's bowl. I had them on my shelf by my desk in my bedroom. I think they would make a great cubicle pet. I didn't have this exact set-up though. I'm not an expert on this subject, but I'm in for one myself.

As for what happened to my old frogs, my evil roommate opened the lid and let the frogs out in our house while I was at work, and her dog ate them. This was years ago, and have an evil-free household now.

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com

antares008

quality posts: 2 Private Messages antares008
aurora733 wrote:Woot, I am disappointed in you for selling these poor creatures and supporting this filthy business.

I agree.
Also, from the Wikipedia link: " A minimum of two gallons per frog (since they are each around two inches when stretched out) is needed to keep these frogs, as they are very active and need the space to move."

A 4x5x6 inch tank holds what? half a gallon of water?

aurora733

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aurora733
sdfreedive wrote:So umm do we need to transfer these to a new tank?

per the wiki link you posted, "These frogs are suggested to be kept in a group of two or more due to their social nature. A minimum of two gallons per frog (since they are each around two inches when stretched out) is needed to keep these frogs, as they are very active and need the space to move."

The tank that comes with this kit is 4"x6"x5" which is a lot less then 4 gallons. Is this sorta a starter tank?

I would assume so... See my above post. Keeping these animals in the tiny box that they come with and the few ounces of water that it holds is just plain cruel. Personally, I wouldn't purchase this to boycott this particular company and what they do to these poor frogs. They're essentially telling kids that keeping these animals in filthy conditions is OK. :-/

chrisbair

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chrisbair

The reviews on amazon http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Aquatics-Frog-Aquarium-Frogs/product-reviews/B003XKNA5G/ref=cm_cr_dp_see_all_btm?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending indicate you can get this for the frogs, but you'll want to put them into a 5+ gallon tank instead of the one it comes with.

cappo

aurora733 wrote:Woot, I am disappointed in you for selling these poor creatures and supporting this filthy business.

To everyone else, please do not buy these. These live animals are subjected to filthy conditions and 2 of them cannot be healthily maintained let alone thrive in a few ounces of water.

http://www.peta.org/living/animal-friendly-fun/five-cruelty-free-ways-to-keep-frogs-in-your-home.aspx

I have no idea about the conditions they are kept in at the source, but a quick wiki and calculation tells me that indeed they should have at least 8x the amount of water provided by a container of that size.

(At least two gallons per frog. That tank, if full to the brim, will barely hold a half a gallon.)

Not good.

massha10

quality posts: 67 Private Messages massha10

o.O Live frogs in a tiny container - with the implications that it is enough for them?! What crookery. If you get them - make sure you get them a decent tank.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 569 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

For those concerned with the size of the container, you could definitely upgrade to a larger tank and use this one as a temporary holding pen when cleaning the tank.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

lilywhitekitten

quality posts: 3 Private Messages lilywhitekitten

The tank and accessories are cheap Chinese crap, the tank is entirely TOO SMALL for even a single frog so it's absolutely inadequate for two, and these frogs are available from most any fish store for just a couple bucks each. Frogs produce a good amount of waste...which means the water gets dirty fast and in such a tiny tank, it means ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite spikes, which can burn the frogs skin and kill them.

This is a horrible deal. Skip it. And if you really want to get a cubicle pet or some frogs for your kids, buy a 5 gallon tank and a couple frogs from any fish/pet store. Teach your kids how to care for animals responsibly, and you can start doing that by NOT purchasing this appalling 'tank'.

I've been keeping fish and aquatic frogs for more than 22 years. I'm sad to see Woot selling such garbage.

Edit to add: And if one of those little frogs swallows a piece of gravel (and it happens ALL the time), it's dead. They'll get impacted on a single piece of gravel, be unable to pass it, and die. No joke. They should never be kept on gravel. This entire kit is appalling.

zazazu

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zazazu

I hate to support anything PETA, but I have to agree that these should not be bought in this manner. I had two african clawed frogs before. Sticking them in a tiny tank like this is pretty mean...they will grow to 8" long or even longer if given a properly sized tank (even the dwarf ones will grow to around 5"). They are very dirty. They need a filtration system. They need moving water. they need to be able to move around. They also need a strong, heavy lid on their tank or they WILL jump out and dive into your floor vent.

These frogs can easily live five years. I had one for seven, but my pets tend to live longer than normal.

Don't put african clawed frogs in this joke of a tank. This tank is good for goldfish. Little ones.

Kerigman

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Kerigman

If you're thinking of buying this just for the frogs, think again. You can find African Dwarf Frogs at most pet stores that sell fish for about $1-2 each. I used to keep two in my aquarium with the other freshwater fish, they get along just fine with everyone else.

No one should own a fish tank that doesn't have a proper filter, heater, and lighting.

zazazu: what you had were not African Dwarf Frogs. They would never, ever, get to be larger than about 2". Unless you flush them down the toilet, then they grow human baby-sized and learn Jiu Jitsu.

xaznfirex

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xaznfirex

As a biologist and a big animal advocate, I whole heartedly agree. I boycotted brookstone for carrying this type of irresponsible product. The frog are basically tortured. Please parents, do NOT buy this, even for the frog. Do not support this type of "capsule" pet company if you care even a little bit about animal. Woot seriously, sh4me on you. I hope this won't repeat, and I say this as a fellow Texan.

chknchkr

quality posts: 4 Private Messages chknchkr

My teacher used to have these when I was a kid. They lived a long time, years. Years later I saw her and asked her about the frogs. She told me that they died. I asked her why did she not replace them and she said that the mail order catalog stopped selling them because of environmental reasons made it illegal to sell them. Are these legal in California? If so, I know some teachers that would love these.

lilywhitekitten

zazazu wrote:I hate to support anything PETA, but I have to agree that these should not be bought in this manner. I had two african clawed frogs before. Sticking them in a tiny tank like this is pretty mean...they will grow to 8" long or even longer if given a properly sized tank (even the dwarf ones will grow to around 5"). They are very dirty. They need a filtration system. They need moving water. they need to be able to move around. They also need a strong, heavy lid on their tank or they WILL jump out and dive into your floor vent.

These frogs can easily live five years. I had one for seven, but my pets tend to live longer than normal.

Don't put african clawed frogs in this joke of a tank. This tank is good for goldfish. Little ones.

These are not African clawed frogs. These are dwarf African frogs. I've had both species and these guys don't get to the huge size that the African clawed frogs do. Regardless, this kit is still not even close to halfway decent for them.

And for the record, this tank is also not even okay for the tiniest goldfish. Long bodied goldfish need 20 gallons minimum per fish. Round bodied goldfish need 20 gallons for the first fish and 10 gallons for each additional fish. Goldfish are also notoriously dirty, producing a LOT of waste. Truth be told, this tank isn't good for any type of fish. Possibly a few small ghost shrimp or cherry shrimp. Nothing else.

zazazu

Meant to add: my first African Clawed was from a similar seller. I named her Psycho since she would go mad when my dog came into the room. She's the one who broke free from a similar "aquarium" and ended up in the floor vent...luckily when I was home. They will dry out and die if not submerged for too long. She was a Dwarf. She grew to almost 7" in length before she died 5 years later of some odd sort of intestinal issue, and was about 4" wide.

These frogs need to be fed daily. There are special pellets for them. They will also eat small fish. If you want to keep them with fish, make sure the fish is a good bit bigger than them. Never put them in a tank with a baby of their kind; they will eat them. They'll also eat snails, because they can.

zazazu

lilywhitekitten wrote:These are not African clawed frogs. These are dwarf African frogs.

Yeah, one of mine was a dwarf, too. Given a big tank and a good variety of food, the dwarfs can still get to the dimensions I mentioned.

lilywhitekitten wrote:And for the record, this tank is also not even okay for the tiniest goldfish.

I was thinking those ones they sell as feeder fish, the ones for about 5 cents? Of course, one of my feeder fish that Frisky (ACF #2, non-dwarf) decided not to eat after he'd gone blind at around 6 years of age, ended up being huge, too, and living 7 years.

Seriously, my pets live for a long time. I keep telling my cats that, to convince them that they need to, too.

lilywhitekitten

zazazu wrote:Meant to add: my first African Clawed was from a similar seller. I named her Psycho since she would go mad when my dog came into the room. She's the one who broke free from a similar "aquarium" and ended up in the floor vent...luckily when I was home. They will dry out and die if not submerged for too long. She was a Dwarf. She grew to almost 7" in length before she died 5 years later of some odd sort of intestinal issue, and was about 4" wide.

These frogs need to be fed daily. There are special pellets for them. They will also eat small fish. If you want to keep them with fish, make sure the fish is a good bit bigger than them. Never put them in a tank with a baby of their kind; they will eat them. They'll also eat snails, because they can.

NOT. THE. SAME. SPECIES.

From Wikipedia:
" The average life expectancy of these frogs is five years, but they can live as long as 20 years; they can grow to 6.35 centimeters (2.5 inches) long. When young, African dwarf frogs can be mistaken and sold as African clawed frogs, African frogs of the genus Xenopus, which are larger and more aggressive than the dwarf."
And:
"These frogs have tiny black claws on their hind legs, which caused one of their discoverers, Oskar Boettger, to originally call them 'African dwarf clawed frogs'. But they quickly lose these black tips in the sharp pebble environments of average aquariums and are more commonly called 'African dwarf frogs' today."

These are NOT clawed frogs. These are dwarf African frogs. They do not get over 2.5 inches long. If your frog got to be 5-7 inches, it was an African clawed frog not a dwarf African frog. Clawed frogs do not have webbed front feet. Dwarf frogs DO have webbed front feet.

curtisuxor

quality posts: 56 Private Messages curtisuxor

The term "African Dwarf Frogs" is offensive.

They prefer "Swarthy French Little People".

capnshiner

quality posts: 0 Private Messages capnshiner
lalaclassic wrote:Seriously thinking about buying this. Does anyone know how you clean them and if they smell? Would they make a good cubicle pet?

A couple friends of mine used to have these. They came from Brookstone. The kit includes a supply of food pellets that will probably outlast the frogs. That being said, I advise against purchasing this product. The included snail is meant to keep the environment clean but the snails tend to die and then the water becomes dirty pretty quickly. I have also read online that the frogs are grossly mistreated prior to shipping. Also, these are live animals being shipped like a pair of shoes. What happens if nobody is home to accept the delivery and they leave it on the doorstep? Frogs are cold blooded and cannot survive extreme temperatures outside their natural environment. Honestly, just get a betta fish.

luke975

quality posts: 14 Private Messages luke975

thanks bullfrog bob! in for 3.

I always did like yardsales.

jamiesheppard22

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jamiesheppard22

Please note. These are ILLEGAL to own in the state of NC as I am sure they are in other States. They are considered an invasive species. We had one as a kid and never should have. Fyi...it lived for 20 years and when we threw it in with another dwarf frog we ended up with a gazillion baby tadpoles. We had it in a 10 gallon take and we changed the water every few days. The water would get stinky and murky. Do not buy!!!!!!!

Denimbear

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Denimbear

I usually dont say nothing bout what you sell woot . BUT THIS HAS ME PERTURBED !!!! How can you be so cruel to Innocent Animals , That cant defend themselves. I will be surprised if you dont get reported to the ASPCA for such abuse!!!! Im sorry but this is Unacceptable , cruel and unusual Torture and abuse on such innocent animals . DO NOT BUY THIS !!!

Never Take for Granted what God Has given you so Freely , for tomorrow it maybe gone

milanab

quality posts: 1 Private Messages milanab

we have had these little frogs in the past. they are very temperature sensitive. my son was small and i ended up buying at least 12 replacements in a fairly short time so that he would not know his frogs had died. i would stick with the beta if you want an easy up keep pet.

lstaff

quality posts: 200 Private Messages lstaff

Besides what everyone else was saying, I think they really look like ugly frogs. I wouldn't buy them just for that reason.
Yup, I said it.
You have to be a pretty good looking frog to come live on my farm, and I AM a frog lover!

this is a refuge I put in my pool to stop the skimmer basket frog genocide, and, you can see, it worked!

Momster

quality posts: 9 Private Messages Momster

nena1954

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nena1954

I have bought at least 5 of these for different people. They are adorablr, interesting to watch , and the easiest to maintain. Very compact. .Great for your cubicle!!!!

Waynena Allen

nena1954

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nena1954

And you feed a few little grains if food thst comes with them. EASY! !!!!!

Waynena Allen

Earl Wajdyk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Earl Wajdyk

This is disgusting. A perfect example of the corporatzation of Woot. I have kept fish and other critters for over 60 years, and this is one of the most inhumane offers I have seen. If you want a "Cubicle Pet" put your supervisor in a cage. If you want to teach your children, educate yourself first, then seek a "pet" that is not torn from it's environment and placed in a mini-death trap! Try A "Reputable" pet store, but again, educate yourself first!

Xntric

QuantumRand

quality posts: 4 Private Messages QuantumRand

Are the frogs covered under the 90 day warranty, or is it just the aquarium?

Greshmahg

quality posts: 50 Private Messages Greshmahg

Be careful with this one. THere are a few things you have to do.

1, get a snail from a pet store. They're about a buck. They'll make sure the tank stays MUCH cleaner. The tank size is fine for these little guys (they're not terribly active), but it'll cloud up in a hurry if exposed to much light.

2, be prepared for a biology lesson. We've had ours for a few years, and apparently the frogs can change sexes, cause about 4 months ago they started spawning every few weeks. This carried on for a while. We started off with 2 frogs, now we have like 8 in another, much larger tank that we built up after giving some away. Nature takes care of most of them (only about 10% of the eggs ever make it past the tadpole stage), but be prepared.