quality posts: 2779 Private Messages lichme

Item: Snap Circuits SCXP-50
Price: $34.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard OR $24 Two-Day OR $27 One-Day
Condition: New

Search Amazon Search Google

whattodo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages whattodo

Tron was in 1982. This is the last site I thought I would have to make that correction.

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 156 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

whattodo wrote:Tron was in 1982. This is the last site I thought I would have to make that correction.

OH SNAPPP!!!!!!

lichme

quality posts: 2779 Private Messages lichme

Here is a good review for your viewing pleasure

cadenzajon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cadenzajon

Here is a PDF of the user manual online:
http://www.robotshop.com/content/PDF/manual-scxp50.pdf

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3367 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Although this is for kids, looks like this would be fun for us big kids to play with.

CharlesP2009

quality posts: 27 Private Messages CharlesP2009

You're gonna scratch that disc!

bhiga

quality posts: 18 Private Messages bhiga

Was considering this for a friend's kids who have other SnapCircuits kits but page 7 of manual (thanks cadenzajon) says...

Warning to Snap Circuits® owners: Do not use parts from other Snap Circuits® sets with this kit. Other sets use higher voltage which could damage the microcontroller and other parts.

Just FYI for others in the same situation.

BPL5683

quality posts: 24 Private Messages BPL5683

Staff

bhiga wrote:Was considering this for a friend's kids who have other SnapCircuits kits but page 7 of manual (thanks cadenzajon) says...

Just FYI for others in the same situation.

Excellent catch. I've made a warning note in the features. Thanks for pointing that out.

Email customer service: support@woot.com for order problems ~OR~ Use the Support form linked at the top of every page.

fsumel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fsumel

What does it mean "Mac not supported"? Will it not work with a Mac computer? I looked at the instructions, and there are instructions for a Mac.

shortman

quality posts: 44 Private Messages shortman
fsumel wrote:What does it mean "Mac not supported"? Will it not work with a Mac computer? I looked at the instructions, and there are instructions for a Mac.

I believe the "Mac not supported" applies to the downloadable update only. I don't know what you would be missing out on by not using the downloadable update.

fsumel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fsumel
shortman wrote:I believe the "Mac not supported" applies to the downloadable update only. I don't know what you would be missing out on by not using the downloadable update.

So do you think it will work with a Mac, or no? (Sorry to ask again!)

BPL5683

quality posts: 24 Private Messages BPL5683

Staff

fsumel wrote:So do you think it will work with a Mac, or no? (Sorry to ask again!)

Sorry, At the last minute we were able to test this on a mac running OS X 10.8, and we were able to install the software. We weren't able to confirm prior to that, and neglected to remove that from the copy

I can't speak for the software update, but the software off the CD installed and opened properly.

Email customer service: support@woot.com for order problems ~OR~ Use the Support form linked at the top of every page.

chewtoy11

quality posts: 1 Private Messages chewtoy11

I was lucky enough to buy an expanded version of these from a local thrift store for $3.00 for my 6-year old son (and myself).

Elenco makes really sturdy pieces, and despite the fact that my set appeared to be ~10 years old, everything still worked properly.

The books in my set are comprised primarily of a color diagram (not schematic) of each "experiment". Sometimes it's difficult to understand which pieces connect at certain junctions versus a piece that happens to "hop" over a junction (NC = No Connection). Hopefully, they've fixed the diagram issues.

This would be a great buy for anybody wanting to do a science project with electronics. The price is great too.

gak0090

quality posts: 78 Private Messages gak0090

I purchased the Elenco SC-750R student training program for my son for Christmas- he was six years old. It was about $120 at the time, but was their highest end kit with a really cool storage case and lots of manuals with explanations of how things worked. It was well worth the money. He would open it up and play on his own sometime, and then try to make his own circuits sometimes with success and sometimes not- it is a great learning experience. This is a great kit to get started with, you'll be surprised how into it your kids will get- whether they are 6 or 12. Even as an adult it's hard to put this thing away. I highly recommend this especially at this price.

carosyrup

quality posts: 0 Private Messages carosyrup

I'm an Electrical Engineering Major...

'Nuff said.

finxster

quality posts: 1 Private Messages finxster

My 8 year old loves this. I helped him with the first couple, and he has completed around 30 or 40 by his self.

juliemagnini

quality posts: 0 Private Messages juliemagnini

Amazing learning toy for kids and adults. Our son is 12 and he had a set of these given to him by friends of ours, handed down from their sons, he played with these things for hours. He has since given them away to a younger boy down the street, but my son would snap (pun bad but intended lol) these up in a minute. So creative, fun, and educational! Buy buy buy!

SubAstute

quality posts: 7 Private Messages SubAstute

I'm waiting for Snap Circuits Vista ;-)

Seriously, these are really good & high quality. We have the 30-project version and it's so much better than the little wires and springs they used in electronic project kits when I was a kid.

gak0090

quality posts: 78 Private Messages gak0090
SubAstute wrote:I'm waiting for Snap Circuits Vista ;-)

Seriously, these are really good & high quality. We have the 30-project version and it's so much better than the little wires and springs they used in electronic project kits when I was a kid.

Yeah- but those were pretty cool for the time too. I got one for Christmas probably around 1975, it was from Radio Shack, I played with that thing all the time. Plus the instructions went through and explained the roles of each transistor,diode,resistor,capacitor,transformer... in the circuit with cartoons. These were great kits too considering it was more than 35 years ago.

cjogden

quality posts: 4 Private Messages cjogden

my 7-year-old LOVES his snap circuits. his is playing with them right now and we have had them for months. They are very study and endlessly entertaining. I'm in.

greenfelderkl

quality posts: 5 Private Messages greenfelderkl

I've used Snap Circuits kits for outreach activities for years. Despite the constant handling by 4th-8th graders, these kits are virtually indestructible. They also have a zillion permutations, not just the "experiments" included with the booklet. Fun way to teach kids engineering, science, electricity, etc.

Never thought to order one for myself to tinker with, but with this price, why not!?

kbluspiro

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kbluspiro

I'm having a hard time picturing what you do with this thing? That is, what are the projects? It looks like there's a flying thing and some sort of speaker, so I'm guessing you make the thing spin and produce different sounds, but what else? Can someone who's seen these in action give an example of what you can make?

kbluspiro

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kbluspiro

OK, never mind. I looked at the manual.

stupido

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stupido

Snap Circuits calls this a microcomputer. It is really a microcontroller. This is not the interactive BASIC of your youth. You write the program on your PC/MAC in the development system and then upload it to the micro-controller. The PC/MAC then can be disconnected. Any changes and you have to do the process again. The microcontroller is a PICAXE 8M. You can find lots more information on it at http://www.picaxe.com/. In all not a bad deal given you have the battery holder, the programming cable and miscellaneous parts. You can build a starter-kit yourself cheaper with a breadboard etc. but I don't think it would be as kid friendly.

I do not have the Snap Circuits kit but I have played around with the PICAXE chips and they are easy to program.

boms

quality posts: 0 Private Messages boms

Wasn't there something similar to this back in the late 80's early 90's that has wires and springs to make the connections wish I remembered what it was called

tsfisch

quality posts: 39 Private Messages tsfisch
boms wrote:Wasn't there something similar to this back in the late 80's early 90's that has wires and springs to make the connections wish I remembered what it was called

Radio Shack sold a lot of these. I had one called "101 in one" or something like that, and it was pretty awesome. I actually still have it and plan on using it with my boys when they're a little older. In the meantime I'm picking up this one.

SubAstute

quality posts: 7 Private Messages SubAstute
gak0090 wrote:Yeah- but those were pretty cool for the time too. I got one for Christmas probably around 1975, it was from Radio Shack, I played with that thing all the time. Plus the instructions went through and explained the roles of each transistor,diode,resistor,capacitor,transformer... in the circuit with cartoons. These were great kits too considering it was more than 35 years ago.

Yep, mine was from Radio Shack too! Great memories and very educational, even if the broken wires frustrated the heck out of me. I think I ended up replacing them with all different gauges so it turned into quite a Frankenstein sort of project. :-)