WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

School Uniforms For Boys & Girls (Sizes 4-16)

Look good? Well, that's not really the point of the school uniform. The point is that you look the same. So how can you be wholly original while also exactly the same as what came before? Kid, you learn how to do that and you've got a bright future in the entertainment industry. Start with uniforms.

narquespamley

quality posts: 24 Private Messages narquespamley

Uniforms:Failing schools::Reorganization:Failing businesses

Both require a lot of effort and render the illusion you're doing something about the problem.

bnbsouthworth

quality posts: 57 Private Messages bnbsouthworth

Why do they still call the top part of the skirt/pant the waist, if they get worn at the hip (or lower)?

I would like to see a picture of some of these bottoms, to see how that cut actually looks on a person.

OtakuCODE

quality posts: 0 Private Messages OtakuCODE

Before a school implements a uniform policy, I believe that the teachers and the school board should be required to wear uniforms. The freedom to control ones own appearance is a stupendously basic right, and adults are only comfortable violating it for children because they do not understand the negative consequences. Perhaps some experience with facing such restrictions themselves MIGHT help them understand.

I do not understand how anyone could expect schools to produce independent competent adults who are capable of being confident acting on their own initiative given their policies. They take the idea that an orderly environment is conducive to learning and then work that idea like a cargo cult, sacrificing the learning part entirely for the sake of discipline.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 605 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Having worked in a school district with a some schools requiring uniforms and some not - my thought is that in certain schools where you have a very mixed income demographic, school uniforms can level the field between the "haves" and "have nots". It also takes the focus away from what you're wearing to school and puts it on the education you're getting there.

My only problem was when a private school my son was going to for Kindergarten decided to go uniforms and picked Nordstroms as their sole supplier. That cost $75/day for a uniform.

I think polos, skirts, pants of standard colors (khaki, white, black, red, blue, etc.) that can be purchased anywhere are quite reasonable.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 605 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

bnbsouthworth wrote:Why do they still call the top part of the skirt/pant the waist, if they get worn at the hip (or lower)?

I would like to see a picture of some of these bottoms, to see how that cut actually looks on a person.

You can see additional photos at the Classroom Uniforms site. Hope that helps.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

bsmith1

quality posts: 106 Private Messages bsmith1
ThunderThighs wrote:... school uniforms can level the field between the "haves" and "have nots"...

Except kids still find ways to recognize social standings. Brand name accessories, backpacks, or even fancy pens/pencils. Nicer haircuts, jewelry (if allowed), cute glasses. Heck, you can even tell a "rich kid polo" from a "poor kid polo". Plus kids will wear them differently...sagging the pants or rolling the skirt up... Uniforms accomplish nothing other than making parents spend more money.

julielewdness

quality posts: 2 Private Messages julielewdness

While yes, you can still tell the "haves" from the "have-not's" even in uniform, I'm still pro-uniform. My kid goes to a private school...we are the lower echelon getting scholarships/grants to attend. If it weren't for the uniform, my kid would stick out even worse. As it is, when I am at her school, the kids look terrific in their coordinated outfits. Especially when they are up on stage for a performance or ceremony. Much prefer the uniformed look over a chaotic mishmash of colors and styles. And for the person who stated that maybe adults should be forced to wear uniforms...in many professions they do. I don't get your point.

bsmith1 wrote:Except kids still find ways to recognize social standings. Brand name accessories, backpacks, or even fancy pens/pencils. Nicer haircuts, jewelry (if allowed), cute glasses. Heck, you can even tell a "rich kid polo" from a "poor kid polo". Plus kids will wear them differently...sagging the pants or rolling the skirt up... Uniforms accomplish nothing other than making parents spend more money.

ebam

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ebam

When I was a senior at my all-girls catholic school, at which I wore a uniform every day for 7 years, my class was given the option to "dress down" (i.e. wear what you want) spring semester as a senior privilege. The entire class was in favor for about 30 second, then thought about it for 30 more. the conversation with faculty was over in less than 5 minutes with the students resoundingly in favor of keeping uniforms.

I don't know if this result would have happened in a co-ed school, but we universally agreed that 1 less thing to think about in the mornings was a good idea. Especially since, as had been said elsewhere, even within the confines of the uniform, everyone figured out how to individualize her look.

Overall I think the "uniforms are repressive" arguments are blown way out of proportion. there are pros and cons, and i think that having the student body involved in the discussion can yield some unexpected results.

jinow00f

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jinow00f

I went to a private school for 18 years, and from what I experienced, we actually preferred uniforms. There is a lot less hassle in it, and there's a bit of wiggle room for "creativity".

Honestly, the best part of wearing a uniform was seeing how much "altering" you could get away with.

battra92

quality posts: 4 Private Messages battra92
OtakuCODE wrote:The freedom to control ones own appearance is a stupendously basic right

Umm, what? Humans will always find a way to stand out and personalize. Uniforms and dress codes are not going to squash some kid's future.

I do not understand how anyone could expect schools to produce independent competent adults who are capable of being confident acting on their own initiative given their policies. They take the idea that an orderly environment is conducive to learning and then work that idea like a cargo cult, sacrificing the learning part entirely for the sake of discipline.

So you're saying soldiers, airline pilots, stewards/stewardesses, waiters, policemen, firemen, retail employees, nurses, surgeons, doormen, bellhops etc. are all mind numbed robots incapable of acting on their own initiative?

pakimby

quality posts: 1 Private Messages pakimby

I enjoyed having a uniform throughout my childhood! No complaints at all except that my elementary uniform was really ugly! Hooray for the plaid polyester skirt that I could pick up off the floor and wear, basically wrinkle free!

dealsofdreams

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dealsofdreams

i just bought my kids uniforms on this website called valuetownkidsuniforms.com and pricing was very competitive and they got it to me very quick

LaKASkill

quality posts: 18 Private Messages LaKASkill

Cheaper at Wal-Mart. The idea is to help, right?

acewingman

quality posts: 6 Private Messages acewingman

Old Navy and Carters has these items $5.99

LaKASkill wrote:Cheaper at Wal-Mart. The idea is to help, right?