quality posts: 3016 Private Messages lichme

Item: Kiddy Booster Seats - 2 Models
Price: $169.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard OR $43 Two-Day OR $47 One-Day
Condition: New

Search Amazon Search Google

lichme

Info, videos, manuals, pics etc at the Product Page (Cruiser Fix)

lichme

walterwu

quality posts: 7 Private Messages walterwu

Will this fit in the back seat of a Porsche 944?

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3658 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Solid reviews (3.7 out of 5.0) on the World Plus model over at amazon

conanthelibrarian

A handful of great reviews (4.6 out of 5.0) on the Cruiserfix Pro over at amazon

egadog

quality posts: 3 Private Messages egadog

I am interested in the world-plus for our fast-growing 2.5 year old, but was concerned about the lack of a 5-pt harness like we have in our Britax convertibles.

In looking at the comments at Amazon I came across this disturbing video (from Britax) of a rollover test where the shield harness fails to keep the baby model in the seat. (Even though it is only a model still not for the squeamish to watch.)

However, in a rebuttal, Kiddy claims their seats all have to pass a rollover test, Britax themselves used to employ a shield harness and that Kiddy will be showing their own video to counter Britax's claim.

Kiddy also claims that the majority of collisions are front-ended, where the shield harness is said to distribute the shock better than a 5-pt harness.

I do like that it is lightweight and ok for an airplane, but am having trouble unseeing that awful video footage...

conanthelibrarian

Check out this thorough overview

mygirlkat74

quality posts: 5 Private Messages mygirlkat74

Not something I would buy, I don't like that it only goes up to 40lbs for the Shield. Where as my convertible seat now for my 5 year old goes to 65. Would be nice maybe if they would have a higher weight limit on the Shield.

beck12

quality posts: 41 Private Messages beck12
egadog wrote:I am interested in the world-plus for our fast-growing 2.5 year old, but was concerned about the lack of a 5-pt harness like we have in our Britax convertibles.

In looking at the comments at Amazon I came across this disturbing video (from Britax) of a rollover test where the shield harness fails to keep the baby model in the seat. (Even though it is only a model still not for the squeamish to watch.)

However, in a rebuttal, Kiddy claims their seats all have to pass a rollover test, Britax themselves used to employ a shield harness and that Kiddy will be showing their own video to counter Britax's claim.

Kiddy also claims that the majority of collisions are front-ended, where the shield harness is said to distribute the shock better than a 5-pt harness.

I do like that it is lightweight and ok for an airplane, but am having trouble unseeing that awful video footage...

Is it even legal? My state law says that a child must have a 5 pt restraint until 40 lbs and 4 yrs old...so I couldn't understand if it's even legal to use that type of restraint....or is that somehow considered "close enough" and the law just doesn't include that wording....

spending my kid's college funds one woot off at a time

labyrinthia

quality posts: 15 Private Messages labyrinthia

A few things-

All seats that pass FMVSS are safe to use if used properly. So this is a safe seat. So is the $40 Cosco Scenera, $80 Evenflo Sure Ride, $200 Graco Headwise, $300 Britax Advocate and $500 Clek Foonf. When you buy more expensive seat you are buying bells and whistles- nice fabric, nice comfort padding, ease of use, a brand name, etc. I use to say you're buying a seat that'll last longer, but the Evenflo Sure Ride will outlast the Britax Advocate by years, so that's not true anymore

Both the NHTSA and the AAP recommend rear facing until at least 2- the Kiddie will not rear face. I would encourage people to try for closer to three, continuing as long as the child fits and is comfortable. Everyone would be safer rear facing, it's just a bigger deal with little kids because they are more fragile.

This seats works differently than five point harness seats. Theoretically it spreads out crash forces better than a forward facing 5 point harness, but not as well as a rear facing seat.

The big concern I have is Kiddie has repeatedly said that a child who lays their head on the shield (as 2-5 year olds will do) is out of position and not safe. I am not happy about this, at all. It effectively makes it the same as a belt positioning booster-the major point of using a forward facing harness seat is kids are wiggly and do not hold still. If this seat requires a 2-5 year old to hold still it isn't acceptable to me.

The other big issue is the weight limit. Britax use to have a seat called the laptop, that used this technology and could be used to higher weights. If you buy this seat, and your kid hits 40 lbs at 3 or 4 years old, you will be out spending $80+ to buy another harness seat, because children simply aren't safe in belt positioning boosters at those ages (sometimes you'll have a 4 year old who can sit in a booster, but that is rare).

I know people who just use the booster for kids 5+, and it's a good seat, I have no issues with it! So if you want to buy it for a bigger, older kid ready for a booster go on and do so!

dpt1st

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dpt1st

A 2.5 year-old should never be without a harness, due to their body composition and the way a harness distributes forces better across their body. quote postid="5492529" user="egadog"]I am interested in the world-plus for our fast-growing 2.5 year old, but was concerned about the lack of a 5-pt harness like we have in our Britax convertibles.

I do like that it is lightweight and ok for an airplane, but am having trouble unseeing that awful video footage...[/quote]

Tara Parsons

dallaspeach

quality posts: 20 Private Messages dallaspeach

Buyer here... Please see below link to forum from the last time we ran Kiddy Cruiserfix Pro. The vendor provides some good information and some of your questions may be answered from the previous posts.

http://kids.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5302841

eapperson

quality posts: 3 Private Messages eapperson
walterwu wrote:Will this fit in the back seat of a Porsche 944?

Hi, I am with Kiddy. Which seat are you asking about?

eapperson

egadog wrote:I am interested in the world-plus for our fast-growing 2.5 year old, but was concerned about the lack of a 5-pt harness like we have in our Britax convertibles.

Hi I am from Kiddy. We do Rollover testing on our seats and believe the seat in the Britax Video was not properly installed. We have never had an ejection in real world use nor in any of our testing.

eapperson

beck12 wrote:Is it even legal? My state law says that a child must have a 5 pt restraint until 40 lbs and 4 yrs old...so I couldn't understand if it's even legal to use that type of restraint....or is that somehow considered "close enough" and the law just doesn't include that wording....

Yes the seat is legal. It is new technology to the US market and the seat has undergone all NHSTA testing. We also have won the Best Bet Award from the IIHS in 2012.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 585 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

dallaspeach wrote:Buyer here... Please see below link to forum from the last time we ran Kiddy Cruiserfix Pro. The vendor provides some good information and some of your questions may be answered from the previous posts.

http://kids.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5302841

Here are a couple of the posts on the Cruiserfix Pro:

dcmarcuzzi wrote:Hi, I'm from Kiddy. I know i work for the company but it is an extremely sharp looking seat in person. It has been in the US market since March and has won 4 awards - Best Bet booster by IIHS, Top Product from Creative Child Magazine, Gold award from Family Review Center, plus it is Certified and Recommended by the Forum of German back schools (AGR is the acronym).

dcmarcuzzi wrote:This has a ton of added safety features that other manufacturers don't have: Certified and recommended by AGR which is a forum of scientists and professionals from the Association of German Back Schools as well as Healthy Back/Better Living. It has a technology in the belt path that upon impact crushes much like a pop can would so the seat absorbs the majority of the energy from a crash rather than your child. Also, when the headrest is raised up, the shoulders move out so it literally grows with your child.

-Kiddy USA

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

wolfedc

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wolfedc

I"m with you the video discouraged me for sure. I guess if a 5 point harness is good enough for race car drivers it's great for my little one.

eapperson

wolfedc wrote:I"m with you the video discouraged me for sure. I guess if a 5 point harness is good enough for race car drivers it's great for my little one.

Hi I'm from Kiddy. 5pt harness vs. Protection shield is covered in the video on the product page and above on this thread.

traquy

quality posts: 53 Private Messages traquy

Hi eapperson, could you adress the issue brought up above about a child leaning or sleeping on the shield being out of position and not safe? I can tell you that almost all kids I've known and had riding in my car at that age will definitely be leaning, laying on the shield. My daughter would fall asleep on that in a hot second. How does that fit into the safety aspect of that seat? You just can't "train" a 2-4 yr old to not do that, they just wiggle and flop. It's in their nature.

ETA: You also mentioned that the crash test in which the child was ejected in a flip over was probably due to the seat being installed incorrectly. You should be aware that in the general population most car seats ARE installed incorrectly. I can't tell you how many car seats I've seen going through the school pick-up line that are obviously and dangerously installed. So, that comment doesn't make me feel much better. I'm also kind of freaked out at the thought of a 1 yr old in a car seat like that. Yikes.

eapperson

traquy wrote:Hi eapperson, could you adress the issue brought up above about a child leaning or sleeping on the shield being out of position and not safe? I can tell you that almost all kids I've known and had riding in my car at that age will definitely be leaning, laying on the shield. My daughter would fall asleep on that in a hot second. How does that fit into the safety aspect of that seat? You just can't "train" a 2-4 yr old to not do that, they just wiggle and flop. It's in their nature.

ETA: You also mentioned that the crash test in which the child was ejected in a flip over was probably due to the seat being installed incorrectly. You should be aware that in the general population most car seats ARE installed incorrectly. I can't tell you how many car seats I've seen going through the school pick-up line that are obviously and dangerously installed. So, that comment doesn't make me feel much better. I'm also kind of freaked out at the thought of a 1 yr old in a car seat like that. Yikes.

There is a study that has been done regarding the safety Zone of the seat. The Bohmann Study done in the Netherlands has shown that seats Such as the Kiddy World Plus have a higher degree of proper positioning than other seats for several reasons. On the size of our side wings have been optimized to prevent children fro straining to see out of the car, resulting in out of position use more than in our seats.

As for Misuse rates. The average misuse rate for a 5 point car seat is 80+% the misuse rate for protection shields is less than 26%. This is due to much easier and less complicated installation.

I hope this answers your concerns.

labyrinthia

eapperson wrote:Yes the seat is legal. It is new technology to the US market and the seat has undergone all NHSTA testing. We also have won the Best Bet Award from the IIHS in 2012.

And to be clear, this was you plus about a dozen other boosters :-) it's an award that is given to every seat the IIHS judges to fit most kids in most vehicles well. http://www.iihs.org/research/topics/boosters/best_bets.aspx

egadog

quality posts: 3 Private Messages egadog

I can see where I wasn't being clear, but I was comparing the traditional 5-pt harness to the Kiddy shield harness on the WorldPlus model. Of course I would never put my 2.5 year old in a car without a safety harness of some sort.

dpt1st wrote:A 2.5 year-old should never be without a harness, due to their body composition and the way a harness distributes forces better across their body. quote postid="5492529" user="egadog"]I am interested in the world-plus for our fast-growing 2.5 year old, but was concerned about the lack of a 5-pt harness like we have in our Britax convertibles.

[/quote]

labyrinthia

egadog wrote:I can see where I wasn't being clear, but I was comparing the traditional 5-pt harness to the Kiddy shield harness on the WorldPlus model. Of course I would never put my 2.5 year old in a car without a safety harness of some sort.

The shield is suppose to act as a harness. And with 2 year olds they are usually squished in these unable to move, so yes, it acts like a harness.

My concern (with all due respect to the Kiddie rep) is that kiddie has repeatedly said a child leaning their head on the shield is dangerous. I know kids who ride in this seat, and ride in similar seats and the kids are always laying their heads on the shields to sleep once they get big enough to do so. It's just something children do. So if that's not acceptable, that's a big issue.

A child can be in a five point harness, tilt their chin to their chest, and no company I am aware of considers that being out of position. That is about as out of position a child in a properly tightened harness can get. The misuse of the five point seats are parental error, usually not properly installing it or having a harness that is too loose/not at the proper height/chest clip at the belly. Not that a child is tilting their head forward.

rutherian

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rutherian

This doesn't work properly in my car using the LATCH system. The base of the seat can't be properly tightened without the front protection shield in place. So, when the strap is loosened up to remove the shield in order to place the child in the seat, the LATCH system is also loosened up. Then, in order to tighten the LATCH system back up once the child is in place, I literally have to squish the protection shield down onto my daughter until she begins to actually cry, stating that "it's too tight daddy". Completely unacceptable, a car seat shouldn't hurt my daughter to the point of tears to be "safe".

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 168 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

rutherian wrote:This doesn't work properly in my car using the LATCH system. The base of the seat can't be properly tightened without the front protection shield in place. So, when the strap is loosened up to remove the shield in order to place the child in the seat, the LATCH system is also loosened up. Then, in order to tighten the LATCH system back up once the child is in place, I literally have to squish the protection shield down onto my daughter until she begins to actually cry, stating that "it's too tight daddy". Completely unacceptable, a car seat shouldn't hurt my daughter to the point of tears to be "safe".

I'm really sorry to hear that you're experiencing issues with your car seat. I recommend that you write into Woot Member Services at support@woot.com and let them know what you're encountering. They'll be more than happy to answer any questions or concerns you might have.