Quality Posts

lichme

quality posts: 3051 Private Messages lichme

Item: ABC Foam Playmat
Price: $17.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Condition: New

Search Amazon Search Google

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
3/3/2013 - $17.99 - 19 comment(s)

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3690 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

A couple of very good reviews (4.7 out of 5.0) over at walmart.com

lichme

quality posts: 3051 Private Messages lichme

Personal thoughts: These are one of the things that I love from my childhood. You can use them as puzzle pieces, a tool for learning the alphabetic, or just fun building stuff. Either way, they are very useful for developing essential skills from a young age.

tbonebbos

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tbonebbos

Ross Stores always have these and other mats for $10-$15.

baillard

quality posts: 6 Private Messages baillard

Any idea why 3+ is the suggested range? Wondering if a 6mo + who has learned to crawl would have any problems with these as a softer floor covering than tile.

Where did I put my my quill and inkpot?

jjungema

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jjungema
baillard wrote:Any idea why 3+ is the suggested range? Wondering if a 6mo + who has learned to crawl would have any problems with these as a softer floor covering than tile.

I would have to guess that if a small child bites a piece off it would be a choking hazard. By three, kids would hopefully not be chewing on them. Hope I helped.

jemitu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jemitu
baillard wrote:Any idea why 3+ is the suggested range? Wondering if a 6mo + who has learned to crawl would have any problems with these as a softer floor covering than tile.

I got these at the March sale for my then-5-month-old to go over our hardwood floor; it didn't take her long to figure out edges and then we had to keep a very close eye one her to make sure she wasn't chewing on them. Now she mostly keeps them out of her mouth, but she's also figured out how to pop the letters out so will once in awhile try to gnaw on one of those when she's playing with it.

My only regret is not getting two (or three) sets so we could spell more words with it.

sean808080

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sean808080

Got this for $19.99 at my local big box kids store. meh

wollern

quality posts: 6 Private Messages wollern
jemitu wrote:My only regret is not getting two (or three) sets so we could spell more words with it.

I guess this is your chance then, huh? ;-)

wollern

quality posts: 6 Private Messages wollern

I'm not saying that these things made my child a genius, but she was able to learn her letters at the age of 3. Since it's "always there" (because we left it on the floor all the time) it was used/referred to quite often. It takes up a lot of floor space, no doubt. OTOH, it makes for a nice second layer of cushion.

mc243569

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mc243569

These are also useful for knitters and crocheters for blocking. Just get some T-pins and you're set. I use them all the time - it's perfect for when you need to wet your material and you don't want a fabric underneath to be affected, especially if colors run.

sdbcmr

quality posts: 16 Private Messages sdbcmr

A word of caution. When we were looking into buying foam pads to create a floor for a play area, we learned that many of these tiles that are marketed for kids are potentially toxic.

There are conflicting reports about levels of toxicity, but if you're interested in reducing overall exposure to toxins, these - which really young kids will crawl on, lie on, probably chew on when they get a chance to - might be a source you'd like to investigate.

A bit of web searching brings up the fact that most brands of these have been banned in some countries (Australia, if I remember correctly, and France ... a few others) and information about specific contents is hard to get out of manufacturers. They just say they are made of "foam." Not very helpful.

We eneded up buying from a company called Soft Tiles and along the way we found a few others. The cost - once shipping, etc. was factored - was only slightly more expensive and we ended up with thicker, sturdier tiles that we're very happy with.

JIMBOB69

quality posts: 1 Private Messages JIMBOB69

Heck Yeah! We got these when our first born was only 3 months old and she loved 'em! Not only were they easy for her to crawl on, they protected her noggin' from the hardwood floors if she got too rambunctious! Also, the letter pieces seemed to be fun to teeth on....ehh, toxins huh, no wonder my daughter is growin' a beard. Oh, well, sideshow here we come!

sdbcmr

quality posts: 16 Private Messages sdbcmr
JIMBOB69 wrote:....ehh, toxins huh, no wonder my daughter is growin' a beard. Oh, well, sideshow here we come!

No need for a "sideshow," Jimbo. If you're not concerned about toxins that's fine. My post (I assume that's the sideshow you're - creating? expecting? whatever) was only intended to let people who ARE concerned about that know that there are non-toxic tiles available, and that foam tiles have been an identified as a possible source of toxic exposure.

And I hope your child continues to do well.

maliaog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages maliaog
tbonebbos wrote:Ross Stores always have these and other mats for $10-$15.

Thanks. I was thinking it was a good deal, but I shop Ross all the time. I'll check there REBOOT!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 588 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

sdbcmr wrote:A word of caution. When we were looking into buying foam pads to create a floor for a play area, we learned that many of these tiles that are marketed for kids are potentially toxic.

There are conflicting reports about levels of toxicity, but if you're interested in reducing overall exposure to toxins, these - which really young kids will crawl on, lie on, probably chew on when they get a chance to - might be a source you'd like to investigate.

A bit of web searching brings up the fact that most brands of these have been banned in some countries (Australia, if I remember correctly, and France ... a few others) and information about specific contents is hard to get out of manufacturers. They just say they are made of "foam." Not very helpful.

We eneded up buying from a company called Soft Tiles and along the way we found a few others. The cost - once shipping, etc. was factored - was only slightly more expensive and we ended up with thicker, sturdier tiles that we're very happy with.

Toys are one of the most heavily tested industries in the US. We have the safety report for this item and it passed all applicable tests.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

yogi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yogi

Hmm, could this be used as a workout mat? For an adult, not a child

ziekk

quality posts: 7 Private Messages ziekk

These were great for when our little ones were learning to sit up on their own, we had a tile floor so it made for a much softer landing.

On the flip side, our cats scratched them to bits so they didn't last very long. Something about the material just makes them want to tear it apart, so we tossed it as soon as we didn't need it anymore.

Ninkumpoop

quality posts: 27 Private Messages Ninkumpoop
yogi wrote:Hmm, could this be used as a workout mat? For an adult, not a child

Would not recommend it. Being multiple pieces will make these move and shift more than a solid piece will.

crazyashwoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crazyashwoot

well i purchased this same mat from ross for 12.99... not worth 49.99 that is just ABSURD!