Quality Posts

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3115 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Some good reviews (4.1 out of 5.0) over at amazon

lichme

quality posts: 2651 Private Messages lichme

rickbaron

quality posts: 7 Private Messages rickbaron

It is a cool toy...but I can not figure out how to control it! There are no good instructions for operating and I could not find anything online. It would be great to know what the dials do. I can make it go up and down without any real control. Any advice?

Woot!!!

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Woot!!!

Here's a video, although doesn't show much action (half the video shows the unboxing)

NOT woot! Staff

zener

quality posts: 20 Private Messages zener

That video was good enough for me in for 1. Wonder if I can tie a light cam to the thing check traffic, line at the bank, all the legitimate reasons id want a UF Drone.

Gormadeaux

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Gormadeaux

Hm, I'd like to pick up 3-4 maybe - but will they all work at the same time, in the same room? Just wondering if they will interfere with each other.

Charfish15

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Charfish15

Bought this a while back and sadly the wings broke. We replaced the wings with the extras and those broke after use too. It was fun for the week it worked.

konstans

quality posts: 1 Private Messages konstans
Gormadeaux wrote:Hm, I'd like to pick up 3-4 maybe - but will they all work at the same time, in the same room? Just wondering if they will interfere with each other.

They have 3 independent channels, so up to 3 simultaneously work.

re:Charfish15
Purchase replacement wings. They are 6$ for 4 wings (2 each type)

My only complaint is that the wings are terribly fragile.

harrinpj

quality posts: 1 Private Messages harrinpj
konstans wrote:They have 3 independent channels, so up to 3 simultaneously work.

Where can these wings be purchased?

jubbs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jubbs
konstans wrote:They have 3 independent channels, so up to 3 simultaneously work.

How did you get a response from Mota? I needed replacement wings, so I left a voice mail and sent an email but I never got a reply to either.

helpermunkee

quality posts: 1 Private Messages helpermunkee

Control leaves something to be desired due to the fact that the thrust comes from the top of the sphere.

That causes tilting and general instability (unlike traditional RC helis).

Holds up great though. Cat hates it.

skigod

quality posts: 1 Private Messages skigod
Charfish15 wrote:Bought this a while back and sadly the wings broke. We replaced the wings with the extras and those broke after use too. It was fun for the week it worked.

How do wings break if they are enclosed in a cage? Selling point is you can bump into anything without damage!!!

ocelotito

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ocelotito

My 9 year got a heli for his b-day and his 6 year old bro wants one too. My need something sturdier but also easier to control. I wonder if this is a good choice or if I should get him the same one his brother got. ($21 syma from amazon).

goodbyetospam

quality posts: 1 Private Messages goodbyetospam
zener wrote:That video was good enough for me in for 1. Wonder if I can tie a light cam to the thing check traffic, line at the bank, all the legitimate reasons id want a UF Drone.

I've never been able to lift even a keychain camera with a micro helicopter. But with this design, perhaps tying a properly sized helium balloon to the top of the frame would give the extra lift needed without interfering with the blades...? It could even add a bit of stability for a less shaky video. Of course, this would only be for indoor use. If you took it outside the slightest breeze would ruin everything and for crying out loud please don't make the balloon so big that it floats away with your helicopter and camera!

blinkyfish

quality posts: 4 Private Messages blinkyfish

I bought this last time around. It took a good day to really get the feel of the controls (it takes a real slow and steady touch). Even after that flying isn't exactly precise, but it's fun.

The dial on the top of the control is to adjust the balance of the unit. Sometimes the thing will start spinning in one direction while hovering...turn that dial one way or the other and it corrects that spin.

I bought two of these units and the first one had some sort of defect and was nearly impossible to control. The second unit was fine. The wings are pretty brittle, and due to the flex of the exterior cage they can make contact with the corners of your walls, boxes, toddlers, etc. My son and I play with it a few times a week and it's held up for a few months now. I don't recommend flying it outside (too light), and certain rooms with a lot of windows or mirrors may confuse the signal. Still a fun toy.

blinkyfish

goodbyetospam wrote:I've never been able to lift even a keychain camera with a micro helicopter. But with this design, perhaps tying a properly sized helium balloon to the top of the frame would give the extra lift needed without interfering with the blades...? It could even add a bit of stability for a less shaky video. Of course, this would only be for indoor use. If you took it outside the slightest breeze would ruin everything and for crying out loud please don't make the balloon so big that it floats away with your helicopter and camera!

Awesome idea about the balloon, but I still doubt it would be worth the trouble. Any video you were able to achieve doing this would probably be achievable by just holding a camera in your hand. I get the novelty aspect though. This copter could probably lift a very small keychain, but I've never tried.

blinkyfish

skigod wrote:How do wings break if they are enclosed in a cage? Selling point is you can bump into anything without damage!!!

The cage is pretty flexible. My 3 year old likes to fly mine, and by fly I mean ram it full speed into the ceiling and then release the throttle. It's held up okay, but the wings come pretty close to the cage and can easily get nicked on the corners of walls or other objects in the room.

dolffn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dolffn
jubbs wrote:How did you get a response from Mota? I needed replacement wings, so I left a voice mail and sent an email but I never got a reply to either.

I would also be interested to know where appropriate parts can be purchased. This is more fragile than it appears and my boys had it broke within 2 days and I have been unsuccessful in finding replacement parts. There are parts for their 6036 helicopters here: http://www.besttoys123.com/index.php/helicopters/mota-helicopter-parts-accessories.html and though they look similar, I tried replacing the top section of the top rotor (as one of the little snap nubs that connects the stabilizer to the wing busted off) but it wouldn't even take off. I will be avoiding this brand in the future.

jdumoit

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jdumoit

The Drones have finally made it to Woot. Drones are bad, m'kay.

xlaxplaya

quality posts: 4 Private Messages xlaxplaya

I don't have this specific toy, but I have another one like it that is enclosed in a roll cage (I think the brand is Excite?), and I just want to tell you guys that the cage is a FANTASTIC idea, and it works pretty well. The main drawback of any RC helicopters is that they are prone to crashing and breaking. The cage, while not protecting against ALL damage, lets you bump into walls, ceilings and floors without having to worry too much. But don't fly too crazy. I broke the small upper propeller on mine, but the extra propeller that came with it has been going strong for a few weeks now.

Hello, beautiful.

rntonp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rntonp

Those Hoover bath fans are prob as loud as this booger.

pixelpusher220

quality posts: 5 Private Messages pixelpusher220

More video of something that I think is the same thing:

teh youtube

albinoblackbear

quality posts: 0 Private Messages albinoblackbear

Mine worked for about ten minutes, now the motor stops right before it gets going fast enough to lift off. Its not the charge, any ideas?

cgaralis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cgaralis

This thing is JUNK! I flew it a few times... it breaks apart easy. Can't be controlled worth a darn. I threw it in the trash...