lichme

quality posts: 2651 Private Messages lichme

Good Reviews on the Classic from ToysRUs

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3115 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Pretty good reviews (4.6 out of 5.0) over at toysrus.com

samborn01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages samborn01

Buy one of these if you want to get your kid to get their ass kicked in the hood!!!

lichme

quality posts: 2651 Private Messages lichme

All videos should be like this one

prttymf8

quality posts: 25 Private Messages prttymf8
samborn01 wrote:Buy one of these if you want to get your kid to get their ass kicked in the hood!!!

Which "hood" would that be? If you're living in a place where two year olds are getting beaten up for the type of bicycle they're riding, it might be time to move.

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1068 Private Messages whatsamattaU

Previous woot for the go go bike
http://kids.woot.com/offers/go-go-bike-2

Different company, but comments may be worthwhile on the balance bike debate:
http://kids.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5109693

bpearlmutter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bpearlmutter

My wee ones learned on balance bikes, they are fantastic. (Training wheels: just say no!) But the things that go for "real" bikes go double for little ones. Weight matters. Rigidity matters. Quality components are important. And for balance bikes, durability is critical, since they take a lot of abuse.

There is a reason serious bicycles are made of metal and not wood. From an engineering point of view, wood is an extremely crappy bicycle frame material.

These wooden contraptions look cute, but they wobble at speed and, after a bit of wear-and-tear, give you splinters. They're for window displays at toy stores, not for actual riding.

Also, that super-high bar in front of the seat is ridiculous: when they slide forward off the seat they'll get a nice chop in the groin. A proper balance bike will have a low bar (like a classic "girl's bike") and a place to rest the feet while going fast. Of course a low bar is impossible with wood, as it would flex too much, and a wooden foot rest would crack off under the stress of normal use.

nelleleon

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nelleleon

Have this bike or one identical to it. Kid loves it. Makes transition to a regular (aka pedal) bike a breeze. Highly recommend.

boomn4x4

quality posts: 13 Private Messages boomn4x4
bpearlmutter wrote:

There is a reason serious bicycles are made of metal and not wood. From an engineering point of view, wood is an extremely crappy bicycle frame material.

These wooden contraptions look cute, but they wobble at speed and, after a bit of wear-and-tear, give you splinters. They're for window displays at toy stores, not for actual riding.

There is a real reason serious bicyclists aren't riding balance bikes... because they aren't two. Maybe you aren't understand who this bikes are for? Your review would be correct if you were planning on riding this bike in the Tour de Frace... buy you are WAY off base for a scoot down a sidewalk.

I've had a very similar bike to this (same body, different tires) for my son since he was two. He's four now and still rides it all the time and loves it. He has a real two wheeler (with training wheels), but for playing in the driveway, he prefers this bike. Its a whole lot easier for him to zip around, he can jump on and off it easier, and its more maneuverable. It is more tiring though for longer bike rides, so we take the real bike for that.

I'm also scratching my head about this "wobble at speeds"...where did you let your kid ride this bike? Down a mountain? Did you tow him behind your car? Top speed on this bike is as fast as your kid can push it... for a toddler, that's about 5mph. I suppose if you pushed him down a hill you MIGHT get a wobble... but with no brakes... why would you do that?

As for splinters? Again... head scratch. After two years, the wood is what is in the BEST condition on the bike. The seat is scuffed up pretty good, as are the plastic handle bar grips... but the wood is fine.

I couldn't disagree with your review more. This is a great little bike for toddlers.

When what to my wondering eyes should appear, but a bucket of wings and a six pack of beer!

mac0112358

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mac0112358

I'm probably just being stupid (or not sufficiently caffeinated as yet), but why is the 'classic' $10 more?

jonmarkosy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jonmarkosy

Why is this better than just taking the pedals off of a regular kids bike and letting them learn to balance that way? Then once they get the hang it put the pedals back on.

My oldest is almost 2 and that was my plan, does a balance bike have an advantage?

ARKEN

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ARKEN
jonmarkosy wrote:Why is this better than just taking the pedals off of a regular kids bike and letting them learn to balance that way? Then once they get the hang it put the pedals back on.

My oldest is almost 2 and that was my plan, does a balance bike have an advantage?

I tried to do this but even small children's bikes have a much higher seat profile than a strider. My 5 year old can reach the ground on the no-pedal regular bike but he is ready for the pedals now so that's pointless.

dawg696

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dawg696
bpearlmutter wrote:There is a reason serious bicycles are made of metal and not wood. From an engineering point of view, wood is an extremely crappy bicycle frame material.

Ummm...no it's not. Case in point.

ds1018

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ds1018

A few years ago my son found one of these wooden balance bikes in a bike store and LOVED it. I think they were selling it for like $150 or something there so I didn't get it. I ended up ordering him a strider bike off of amazon. It has a metal frame and foam filled tires. It's super light and he loved it too. They naturally get the balance thing down and the transition to a real bike is super quick.

He's 6 now and proficient with a real bike but still loves to ride his strider bike around in the house. I did have to get him an extended seat post a year or so ago though.

Here's the one we got:
http://www.amazon.com/Strider-Sports-ST-3RD-ST-3-PREbike/dp/B004Q2TBAI/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1371831331&sr=1-1&keywords=strider+bike

egranados

quality posts: 0 Private Messages egranados
boomn4x4 wrote:There is a real reason serious bicyclists aren't riding balance bikes... because they aren't two. Maybe you aren't understand who this bikes are for? Your review would be correct if you were planning on riding this bike in the Tour de Frace... buy you are WAY off base for a scoot down a sidewalk.

I've had a very similar bike to this (same body, different tires) for my son since he was two. He's four now and still rides it all the time and loves it. He has a real two wheeler (with training wheels), but for playing in the driveway, he prefers this bike. Its a whole lot easier for him to zip around, he can jump on and off it easier, and its more maneuverable. It is more tiring though for longer bike rides, so we take the real bike for that.

I'm also scratching my head about this "wobble at speeds"...where did you let your kid ride this bike? Down a mountain? Did you tow him behind your car? Top speed on this bike is as fast as your kid can push it... for a toddler, that's about 5mph. I suppose if you pushed him down a hill you MIGHT get a wobble... but with no brakes... why would you do that?

As for splinters? Again... head scratch. After two years, the wood is what is in the BEST condition on the bike. The seat is scuffed up pretty good, as are the plastic handle bar grips... but the wood is fine.

I couldn't disagree with your review more. This is a great little bike for toddlers.

I was thinking of getting a bike like this to train my son before riding a normal bike but if you have had it for 2 years and now are using training wheels on a normal bicycle, it seems kind of pointless. I can just jump from tricycle to bike w/training wheels and save a tree in the process.

bturnip

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bturnip

I bought one of these last year from woot. The company name is different this time around, but the build looks exactly the same. The one I have has the disc wooden wheels.

My daughter loves it and still plays with it. She left it outside so often that the handle bar rotted where the grips were trapping water.

I ended up making a replacement out of plywood because I could not find a source for replacement parts. Decent buy. I will probably get my youngest daughter one of her own in the next year or so- the one we currently have will probably be quite worn out and beat up by then.

pros- Inexpensive, vs other balance bikes, decent quality for the price . Daughter was able to get it from day 1 and I'm sure she will be able to get on a regular bike faster because of that.

cons- Not as weatherproof as a more traditional bike. I couldn't find replacement parts when I looked. Not constructed to be a family heirloom, at least not the way my family puts wear and tear on stuff.

omoomo

quality posts: 15 Private Messages omoomo
jonmarkosy wrote:Why is this better than just taking the pedals off of a regular kids bike and letting them learn to balance that way? Then once they get the hang it put the pedals back on.

No, not really. All 3 of my kids learned with regular bikes with the pedals removed and my local Trek Store bike owner even recommended this and they sell a "balance bike".

amfraire

quality posts: 1 Private Messages amfraire

This is actually a good deal for these bikes. I've never seen them at this price.

My kid has one and enjoys it and I think it has helped her learn to balance a bike, although I wouldn't be able to say if training wheels were just as effective. If so, then this is probably an unnecessary expense since these bikes get outgrown fairly quickly.

Also, the seats can get to be very uncomfortable on long rides.

CaviMike

quality posts: 6 Private Messages CaviMike

Parents who give these to their kids are parents that want their kids to get beat up in school.

Teach your kid how to ride a bicycle. Actually, screw that. Get your kid a Honda CR50 and teach them how to ride a dirt bike.

Personal info is personal.

bpearlmutter

boomn4x4 wrote:There is a real reason serious bicyclists aren't riding balance bikes... because they aren't two. Maybe you aren't understand who this bikes are for? ...

... He's four now and still rides it all the time and loves it. He has a real two wheeler (with training wheels)...

(Why traing wheels? Mine went from ballance bike to real bike in about 15 sec at age 3.5, no training wheels involved.)

Look at the videos of kids riding these wooden things. Note how awkwardly they hold their legs up while gliding. Now look at videos of kids on, say, a Specialized Hotwalk. Smooth gliding, feet up, looks comfortable.

bpearlmutter

dawg696 wrote:Ummm...no it's not. Case in point.

Touché. Those look amazing. But, a completely different level of tech from the devices here. Like carbon charcoal vs carbon fiber.