zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

lichme

quality posts: 2693 Private Messages lichme

Item: Dr. Mom LED Otoscope
Price: $14.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard OR $9 Two-Day OR $12 One-Day
Condition: New

Search Amazon Search Google

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
6/14/2013 - $14.99 - 40 comment(s)
4/9/2013 - $14.99 - 42 comment(s)

cwilldesign

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cwilldesign

I purchased one of these from woot awhile back. They seem to work. I have a 9 year old and a 1 year old. Only problem really is I am afraid to use it on the 1 year old because I'm afraid I'll somehow hurt him with it - and he is the one I actually need it for. I can see in my 9 year old's ears no problem though.

mom2hapakids

quality posts: 14 Private Messages mom2hapakids

Seriously, there's a reason you take your children to see a doctor when they have an earache. They are trained. A doctor should never prescribe antibiotics over the phone or take your word for it because you used this otoscope. I know this will probably incite lots of comments, but as my husband (a Pediatrician) explained to me, a brain abscess has the same symptoms as an earache. Giving antibiotics will cover a wrong diagnosis and make the child worse in the end.

Woody1150

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Woody1150
mom2hapakids wrote:Seriously, there's a reason you take your children to see a doctor when they have an earache. They are trained. A doctor should never prescribe antibiotics over the phone or take your word for it because you used this otoscope. I know this will probably incite lots of comments, but as my husband (a Pediatrician) explained to me, a brain abscess has the same symptoms as an earache. Giving antibiotics will cover a wrong diagnosis and make the child worse in the end.

I kind of was thinking this myself. Even if a parent did use this and did see something they thought was wrong, wouldn't they have to go to trained physician anyways to get proper treatment?

Better yet, what if a child is complaining of an ear ache (or whatever)and a parent uses this. They don't see anything. Then what? They just tell their kid to stop complaining about it because they didn't see anything wrong?

rshoe1445

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rshoe1445

I can think of several reasons to have this. Ever had a bug fly into your child's ear? It's something you need to deal with right then - not wait for a doctor's appointment. How about a toddler who shoves something else in his or her ear? My child has had two sets of ear tubes. They eventually fall out. Nice to be able to see if they're sitting in the ear canal. No, I'm not diagnosing anything. When his ear hurts, we go to the doctor (and that's a frequent occurrence). He knows when something is wrong. He's dealt with it his whole life. Not all kids have. But it's nice to be able to see if it's something that can be treated with NSAIDS until we can get a doctor's appt or if it's severe enough to warrant a trip to the ER.

Kittynick

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kittynick

I've been thinking about purchasing an otoscope for a few years, just bit the bullet, and I'm hoping it'll help at our house. I have a 3-year-old who doesn't identify any pain in his ears, yet will become a miserable crabby monster until we give up and take him to the Dr. only to find out he's had an ear infection for several days. Hoping I can catch an infection earlier with this if I suspect one and get him in to the Dr. sooner, and hopefully reduce his suffering.

cwilldesign

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cwilldesign
mom2hapakids wrote:Seriously, there's a reason you take your children to see a doctor when they have an earache. They are trained. A doctor should never prescribe antibiotics over the phone or take your word for it because you used this otoscope. I know this will probably incite lots of comments, but as my husband (a Pediatrician) explained to me, a brain abscess has the same symptoms as an earache. Giving antibiotics will cover a wrong diagnosis and make the child worse in the end.

I see what you're saying. But I didn't buy this because I want my pediatrician to drop an Rx over the phone for me. Not that they would anyway - in fact I'm pretty sure most doctors won't (and shouldn't) do this anyway.

I bought it because I am sick of paying $100 per doctor visit to find out (once again) that my baby does not in fact have an ear infection but he is just teething. Some babies grab at their ears when they are teething so it is easy to assume they might have an ear infection when they actually don't.

I also want to throw out there that the AAP has recommended a "watch and wait" for most children with ear infections - so it isn't necessarily a matter of antibiotics at all. For those who like a more holistic approach, there are OTC antibacterial oils which work well for some people. Though these can only be used if the eardrum is not perforated - which again can be determined by using the scope.

I can't imagine why your husband would bring up a brain bleed at all. As if every mother of a child with an earache should rush to the ER because there is that .005% chance their kid might have a brain bleed. I mean... come on.

mom2hapakids

quality posts: 14 Private Messages mom2hapakids
cwilldesign wrote:I see what you're saying. But I didn't buy this because I want my pediatrician to drop an Rx over the phone for me. Not that they would anyway - in fact I'm pretty sure most doctors won't (and shouldn't) do this anyway.

I bought it because I am sick of paying $100 per doctor visit to find out (once again) that my baby does not in fact have an ear infection but he is just teething. Some babies grab at their ears when they are teething so it is easy to assume they might have an ear infection when they actually don't.

I also want to throw out there that the AAP has recommended a "watch and wait" for most children with ear infections - so it isn't necessarily a matter of antibiotics at all. For those who like a more holistic approach, there are OTC antibacterial oils which work well for some people. Though these can only be used if the eardrum is not perforated - which again can be determined by using the scope.

I can't imagine why your husband would bring up a brain bleed at all. As if every mother of a child with an earache should rush to the ER because there is that .005% chance their kid might have a brain bleed. I mean... come on.

This was based on me asking him what he looks for when he checks ears, especially for kids that have frequent ear infections. I hear him talk to parents all the time and I hear the frustration of parents who brought their kids in when their ears could go either way (get better or worse), only to have to bring their kids back 2 days later when it gets worse and needs antibiotics. The whole "brain abscess" (infection, not bleed) was enough explanation for me.

What it comes down to is, know your kids, know yourself, but don't go suing your doctor or get disgruntled because you didn't act soon enough or didn't follow recommendations and it resulted in a bad outcome. Feel free to question your doctor. Feel free to change doctors if you aren't happy or comfortable with your current doctor.

When it doubt go to the ER. Skip the immediate care or doctor at your local pharmacy. Then FOLLOW UP with your doctor. Your doctor should know you and your history.

My husband and his associates see every sick kid that calls THAT day. You might end up with a 6:00 PM or 8:00 PM appointment, but being at home waiting is better than sitting in the ER with a crabby kid for hours with sicker people. Been there, done that with a 1 year old that needed stitches.

jvanasco

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jvanasco

Our dog has frequent ear problems. He's genetically predisposed.

We have to pluck hair from his ears weekly – yep, even from the canal.

This will likely make things way way way easier and faster.