Quality Posts

lichme

quality posts: 3059 Private Messages lichme

Item: Dr. Mom LED Otoscope
Price: $14.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard OR $9 Two-Day OR $12 One-Day
Condition: New

Search Amazon Search Google

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
4/9/2013 - $14.99 - 42 comment(s)

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3695 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Very good reviews (4.3 out of 5.0) over at amazon

jkmahan

quality posts: 8 Private Messages jkmahan

Would it work on a german shepherd? Seems like the one the vet uses has a longer specula.

lichme

quality posts: 3059 Private Messages lichme

Here is the product page

Voltaire22022

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Voltaire22022

We bought this last fall when my then 9 month old was constantly pulling at her ears so I (being the worried mom that I am) wouldn't feel the need to constantly call the doc for ear infection checks.

With a little finesse, it works well enough compared to the one at the doc (I asked to see what he sees for a comparison). I wouldn't start a course of antibiotics based on what I found but it's def enough to be like "Eeewwww, that looks gross. You're going to the doc."

curvin777

quality posts: 3 Private Messages curvin777

I used this to perform surgery just earlier this week!!

...but really, it's $20 ($15 if you were already planning on buying that Vizio TV) and for $20 this thing works awesome! Saves you $20 the very first time you don't take your kid to the doctor and don't pay the copay only to find out they have healthy ears. Worth It even if we had only used it once! It is by no means as nice as the ones used inside the office, but for a quick peek, it's rock solid.

myndblur

quality posts: 0 Private Messages myndblur

The only real problem I see with this isn't the device itself, but is the course of action.

Even if you can confirm that your child has an ear infection, you couldn't start a necessary course of antibiotics without a prescription from a physician.

So you are still going to have to see a physician to confirm what you may already know. Good to be informed, but not much use without the Rx to follow it up with.

Just my 2 cents

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1071 Private Messages whatsamattaU

Just a quick reminder on ear infections and ear pain:
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162-57571103/antibiotics-for-ear-infections-pediatricians-release-new-guidelines/

One of the conditions receiving the most unneeded antibiotics.

This does not mean the scope doesn't have a purpose. As noted, if the ear looks "normal" (and ideally, you get to know what the child's ears look like when feeling well to compare), then infection not likely. If the ear looks bad, then it can push you more likely to see the doctor to be sure. Also, since we're talking about kids, the ears could certainly contain things other than wax,...

lstaff

quality posts: 202 Private Messages lstaff

The upshot of those guidelines (probably, I didn't click) is: Watchful waiting (ie: NOT using antibiotics) with an ear infection is often an appropriate course of (non!)action.
The advantage of this is you can report in to the doctor what you see, and follow along from the beginning. Knowing the ear hasn't resolved, or is looking much worse, may well prompt a visit in to the doctor.

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1071 Private Messages whatsamattaU

and I hope stkidsdoc doesn't mind me reposting this, since like any other tool, it does take practice to use this and keep it stable (i.e., not let it move all around in the canal. Personally, I'd try holding it with the handle up, and rest the 5th-3rd fingers on the kid's scalp to stabilize it while holding it with the 1st and 2nd fingers--that way, if the kid moves, the scope doesn't suddenly hit the canal, which is painful for any age):

stkidsdoc wrote:Gotta chime in here, folks...
Yes, I am a pediatrician.
This is not a bad device, and you are not likely to be able to get in far enough to perforate your kids eardrum, but do be careful! (Ear canals are really sensitive, and easy to scratch)
As noted above, a diagnosis of an acute ear infection that needs antibiotics should be made by someone who knows what they are looking at (e.g. a medical professional). The diagnosis depends on seeing PUS behind the eardrum - not a red eardrum, not clear fluid behind it, but the yucky thick white stuff that indicates an active infection with bacteria. Lots of ear infections are viral, and lots of ears can hurt without the presence of pus.
There are new evidence-based guidelines that recently came out regarding prescribing antibiotics, and in general antibiotics are way overused for "ear infections".
That all said - if you see a red drum, it's likely ok to watch it (unless your child is acting really sick, then ALWAYS get thee to a medical provider, please).
If you see pus, (note the lovely picture of a bulging ear drum someone posted above), your child *may* warrant antibiotics, but may also warrant watchful waiting or a "just in case" prescription.
If you see drainage from a perforation, your kid needs antibiotics. (But don't panic - ear drums nearly always heal beautifully, and it does not mean that you waited too long... sometimes it just happens, and it might happen fast).

I've got the super expensive one that I've had since med school, and I'm still considering this! The battery alone for my real one is nearly as expensive as one of these...

happy WOOTing!

lstaff

quality posts: 202 Private Messages lstaff

Oh, and it is GREAT to use this to see if there is actually a sliver under the skin, or it's just leftover dirt.
Also for foreign bodies that may have gotten into a nostril.
And, of course, for sore throats as well.
Magnification AND a lightsource: Dr. Mom's multipurpose Nirvana!!

bear006

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bear006

Catching the ear infection early can really help reduce the time spent running to the doctor in the middle of the night. I check my sons ear at the first sign of fever and surprisingly enough I've caught two premature ear infections. I talked to the pediatrician and he gave me a quick lesson on what to look for and the best way to use an otoscope. It's really not that complicated after some practice. Considering how painful an earache can be after the eardrum begins to pressurize and swell, I feel as though this little gadget should really be a staple for all homes with children.

sailormercury

quality posts: 2 Private Messages sailormercury

I have basset hounds who have a ton of ear problems. I wish there was a version with a long attachment for dog ears!

bear006

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bear006
sailormercury wrote:I have basset hounds who have a ton of ear problems. I wish there was a version with a long attachment for dog ears!

http://www.vetotoscope.com/led_veterinary_pocket_otoscope.htm

timothyw

quality posts: 3 Private Messages timothyw

Seriously, when I had newborns and toddlers, I so would have bought this in a heartbeat. It seems far more useful than the little syringe bulb thing the hospital gives to suck snot out of a newborn's nose.

Now that my young-ins have grown, it's tough to justify having this. Woot, what I really want are OTC strep tests. I hate to spend the $65 (even if my co-pay is less, the full money comes from somewhere) just to hear, "no, strep is negative". Can you stock some of those strep test sticks? please?

hizzeraud

quality posts: 6 Private Messages hizzeraud

Oh jeez woot. I'm an audiologist with a doctoral degree. I've been professionally looking into ears for 7 years now, not including the four years of grad school that I'll be paying for until my 18 month old has graduated college. I have worked for three years with mostly kids at a community hospital. Even me, a somewhat seasoned, definitely experienced, professional can have an incredibly difficult time figuring out what is going on in an ear strictly with a professional grade otoscope that costs over 20x's what this one costs. This is crap and it's not going to be helpful for Dr. Mom or Dr. Dad to diagnose anything with google pics.

With that semi rant said, the best part of me having my own otoscope is that by routinely checking my son's ears (who had chronic ear infections and tubes put in at 9 months old) he is not scared at all to have his actual doctor look into his ears or manipulate his ears. In my line of work, very few things are more difficult than trying to do an evaluation on a toddler who is terrified of having their ears touched by a medical professional. Get this for your kids to play doctor (my son loves "looking" into our ears) or to desensitize your kid to having their ears/nose/mouth looked into but please do not try to diagnose your kid with this.

sailormercury

quality posts: 2 Private Messages sailormercury
bear006 wrote:http://www.vetotoscope.com/led_veterinary_pocket_otoscope.htm

Thanks!!!

aakolka

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aakolka

Just an FYI... This is technically 7 cents cheaper on Amazon once you add shipping.

[MOD: Not LED Gen 3 version]

Loki009

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Loki009
aakolka wrote:Just an FYI... This is technically 7 cents cheaper on Amazon once you add shipping.

Nope, that is the old non LED version

http://www.amazon.com/Generation-Slimline-Stainless-Otoscope-Spectrum/dp/B000J1FT4W/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1371218114&sr=1-1&keywords=Doctor+LED+Mom+Otoscope

this is the correct version and about $7 more

greenmrt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages greenmrt

Anybody know if I can use 7.0mm specula on this and where to buy?

huefner02

quality posts: 3 Private Messages huefner02

I am a pediatric RN, and I've used one of these extensively in my home for about 5 years. I prefer the LED light on this one to the standard bulb in the expensive otocscopes at the clinic. The bright light completely changes the look of the eardrum, and things are much clearer. I have had to change the batteries once in that time. I throw it in my suitcase when we go on vacation-it saves unnecessary trips to the ER. My otoscope came with a basic picture guide of normal/abnormal eardrums that I have found very helpful. That being said, I only use this otoscope as a guide to help me make an informed decision about when to take my child to the Dr. I do not use it as a substitute for needed medical care.

rehta

quality posts: 6 Private Messages rehta

Wow, I literally was thinking to myself not 2-3 days ago that having an otoscope at home would come in handy. I didn't realize they actually made any affordable ones for home use! Definitely in for one!!

-Heather (First Burgandy Olfactory Center 12/6/11)

fgarriel

quality posts: 22 Private Messages fgarriel

My daughter was plagued with chronic ear infections. I used this otoscope to observe her ear drum. It helped me determine if she needed to go to the doctor or not.

Actually, it helped me convince my wife to take her to the doctor; whereas before it was always an argument.

I got quite good at using it. It got to the point where the doctor trusted what I described before I even got into the office. Doc would still check for herself, but was confident when our name was on the roster that we really had something.

Ultimately, my daughter got ear tubes put in and her infections ceased.

But onto the actual scope:
It's not pro-level equipment.
It's not easy to use, but is a "good one?"
It's good for observing if there's a problem so you know to take (or not to take) the kid into the doctor.
Practice on healthy ears (or noses). It's easier to get a kid to sit still and allow you to tug her ear back when it doesn't hurt. Then you'll know how and where to look in the ear, and you'll know what to look for before the fluid is present.

Healthy = translucent drum
Fluid = slightly milky drum
Infected = white/yellow/green/brown/black drum

Don't worry, you'll know it's infected well before it turns green.

otoscope

quality posts: 1 Private Messages otoscope
jkmahan wrote:Would it work on a german shepherd? Seems like the one the vet uses has a longer specula.

Dr Mom Vet Otoscope
www.vetotoscope.com

otoscope

hizzeraud wrote:Oh jeez woot. I'm an audiologist with a doctoral degree. I've been professionally looking into ears for 7 years now, not including the four years of grad school that I'll be paying for until my 18 month old has graduated college. I have worked for three years with mostly kids at a community hospital. Even me, a somewhat seasoned, definitely experienced, professional can have an incredibly difficult time figuring out what is going on in an ear strictly with a professional grade otoscope that costs over 20x's what this one costs. This is crap and it's not going to be helpful for Dr. Mom or Dr. Dad to diagnose anything with google pics.

With that semi rant said, the best part of me having my own otoscope is that by routinely checking my son's ears (who had chronic ear infections and tubes put in at 9 months old) he is not scared at all to have his actual doctor look into his ears or manipulate his ears. In my line of work, very few things are more difficult than trying to do an evaluation on a toddler who is terrified of having their ears touched by a medical professional. Get this for your kids to play doctor (my son loves "looking" into our ears) or to desensitize your kid to having their ears/nose/mouth looked into but please do not try to diagnose your kid with this.

As an ER Physician with 25 years experience of looking into ears and seeing so many thousands of kids in the ER at 2 am with full blown ear infections I completely disagree with this person.
The reason I created this otoscope for home use was so mothers and fathers had a way to see when a problem was developing in their child's ear so they could seek pain drops and treatment early on and not have to make the 2am trip to the ER. As physicians the way we learned to diagnose ear pathology was simply looking into ears. The more healthy ears you look at the sooner and easier it is to begin noticing when things do not look right. It is not difficult in my opinion to see when an infection is developing in an ear. More often than not it is usually unilateral and you also have the one good eardrum to compare to as well. We have had so many positive comments over the years about the otoscope from parents thanking us for the Dr Mom Otoscope that I can assure you parents can and do learn to diagnose ear infections. It is very empowering for them to have the ability to monitor their childrens ears at home. Some children are much more prone to frequent ear infections than others and it is especially helpful for these families. It also works well to check for ear wax impactions in young and old. Many children can have difficulty hearing due to ear wax completely occluding the ear canal. Hearing is very important in language development for children. Many older people will think it is time for hearing aids and not realize that their main problem is nothing more than an ear wax occlusion that can be washed away which will restore their hearing back to normal.

otoscope

lstaff wrote:The upshot of those guidelines (probably, I didn't click) is: Watchful waiting (ie: NOT using antibiotics) with an ear infection is often an appropriate course of (non!)action.
The advantage of this is you can report in to the doctor what you see, and follow along from the beginning. Knowing the ear hasn't resolved, or is looking much worse, may well prompt a visit in to the doctor.

You still want to get some drops for the pain even if you forgo antibiotics.
The nice thing about having an otoscope is that it empowers a parent to know what is going on if your child begins crying out in pain in the middle of the night and pulling at his or her ears. You look into the ear and see that it is red and bulging you have a pretty good idea what is going on. If you have Lidocaine drops left over from a past infection you can often relieve the pain and wait till morning to see your pediatrician. This will avoid the 3 am trip to the ER where you wait for 4 hours to see the Doctor and finally get drops for the pain of a full blown ear infection.

otoscope

I have to disagree with the audiologist comment about the ability of parents learning to diagnose ear infections in their children.
As an ER Physician with 25 years experience of looking into ears and seeing so many thousands of kids in the ER at 2 am with full blown ear infections I completely disagree with this person.
The reason I created this otoscope for home use was so mothers and fathers had a way to see when a problem was developing in their child's ear so they could seek pain drops and treatment early on and not have to make the 2am trip to the ER. As physicians the way we learned to diagnose ear pathology was simply looking into ears. The more healthy ears you look at the sooner and easier it is to begin noticing when things do not look right. It is not difficult in my opinion to see when an infection is developing in an ear. More often than not it is usually unilateral and you also have the one good eardrum to compare to as well. We have had so many positive comments over the years about the otoscope from parents thanking us for the Dr Mom Otoscope that I can assure you parents can and do learn to diagnose ear infections. It is very empowering for them to have the ability to monitor their children's ears at home. Some children are much more prone to frequent ear infections than others and it is especially helpful for these families. It also works well to check for ear wax impactions in young and old. Many children can have difficulty hearing due to ear wax completely occluding the ear canal. Hearing is very important in language development for children. Many older people will think it is time for hearing aids and not realize that their main problem is nothing more than an ear wax occlusion that can be washed away which will restore their hearing back to normal.

thatonechik

quality posts: 4 Private Messages thatonechik

We don't have much use for this for ear infections, but my 4 kids are little earwax machines. Even when we leave the ears alone (ie, we don't use q-tips on a regular basis as per recommendation by peds dr), the earwax can become impacted over time. We do have an ear syringe for such cases but it would be nice to actually see whether the ear canal is completely cleared before cleaning up the whole operation only to have the child complain of continued deafness.

I'm in for one.

DrDong

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DrDong

Leave medical devices to the professionals. You don;t know what an infection looks like. If your child has pain give them tylenol or motrin and call your pediatrician in the morning.

powerelite

quality posts: 0 Private Messages powerelite
hizzeraud wrote:Oh jeez woot. I'm an audiologist with a doctoral degree. I've been professionally looking into ears for 7 years now, not including the four years of grad school that I'll be paying for until my 18 month old has graduated college. I have worked for three years with mostly kids at a community hospital. Even me, a somewhat seasoned, definitely experienced, professional can have an incredibly difficult time figuring out what is going on in an ear strictly with a professional grade otoscope that costs over 20x's what this one costs. This is crap and it's not going to be helpful for Dr. Mom or Dr. Dad to diagnose anything with google pics.

I don't think anyone is advocating parents eliminating professional medical opinions (that's all they are after all is educated guesses... Medical PRACTICE, right?) but we are a nation of informed people and what's wrong with a parent inspecting a child's TM before heading to the clinic? Nothing if care and good judgement are used.

MJR

Tygress

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Tygress

We use these to check the liquid sensors on iPhones at work. They are the right size to get into the headphone jack and they work really well.

scottman54

quality posts: 34 Private Messages scottman54

So just to be clear, this is a "NEW" otoscope and not a refurb or customer return, right? Whatever happened to the "condition" field?

davidmcgill

quality posts: 0 Private Messages davidmcgill
powerelite wrote:I don't think anyone is advocating parents eliminating professional medical opinions (that's all they are after all is educated guesses... Medical PRACTICE, right?) but we are a nation of informed people and what's wrong with a parent inspecting a child's TM before heading to the clinic? Nothing if care and good judgement are used.

We bought one a while back because we just wanted to see what our ears looked like inside - turns out they're pretty gross!!! Haha...

But seriously, we bought one of these and it's been interesting to be able to look in there and see what's going on with the kids' ears. Then, we take them to the doctor.

HeadacheSlayer

quality posts: 5 Private Messages HeadacheSlayer

I bought this (not on Woot) and LOVE IT. With a little practice, and some google images, I was able to diagnose my son's lingering ear infection--despite what the Curly in urgent care said. (he's 11)

My son gets silent ear infections so it's important that I know how to check his ears when he's sick.

I totally recommend this for every parent--no matter how old your kids are.

WTG Woot!

ReginaFilangee

quality posts: 8 Private Messages ReginaFilangee
thatonechik wrote:We don't have much use for this for ear infections, but my 4 kids are little earwax machines. Even when we leave the ears alone (ie, we don't use q-tips on a regular basis as per recommendation by peds dr), the earwax can become impacted over time. We do have an ear syringe for such cases but it would be nice to actually see whether the ear canal is completely cleared before cleaning up the whole operation only to have the child complain of continued deafness.

I'm in for one.

Just FYI: Good chance your little ones have food (or other, but most likely food) allergies if they are making that much wax. It's a common (and way too frequently under-diagnosed) cause of excessive ear wax and/or ear "infections" which are not really ear infections (either bacterial or viral) at all, but rather otic inflammation due to the body's immunologic response to allergens.

May the Crap be with you all!!!

ReginaFilangee

quality posts: 8 Private Messages ReginaFilangee
DrDong wrote:Leave medical devices to the professionals. You don;t know what an infection looks like. If your child has pain give them tylenol or motrin and call your pediatrician in the morning.

There's nothing wrong with using this at home, any more than at-home blood pressure devices, glucometers, pulse oximeters, thermometers, stethoscopes, etc. It is not intended for parents to make a diagnosis, but rather for helping to monitor a chronic condition, just like all of the examples I listed above. Want to get rid of those, too???
With a little guidance and practice, any of these devices can help a parent/patient monitor a chronic medical condition better. It's intended to be used to SUPPLEMENT medical care by a doctor, not to replace it.

I agree with those who suggest looking at the ears frequently while healthy, in order to become familiar with that and therefore spot a deviation from normal sooner....and as others have stated, a child will let you look when the ears are NOT hurting.

May the Crap be with you all!!!

otoscope

satyenshah

quality posts: 8 Private Messages satyenshah
thatonechik wrote:...my 4 kids are little earwax machines.

That's especially a big problem for Koreans

dsmgirl

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dsmgirl
jkmahan wrote:Would it work on a german shepherd? Seems like the one the vet uses has a longer specula.

Licensed Vet Tech here -I was interested in this for my Lab and hoping longer specula were available. It doesn't look like they make them and I can't find any info about length, but from pictures I'm guessing these are around 2 inches long. Way too short for a Lab or GS.