Condition: New

Search Amazon Search Google

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3372 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

TONS of good reviews (4.2 out of 5.0) over at onestepahead.com

ckeilah

quality posts: 149 Private Messages ckeilah

Ceci n'est pas une tent.

Please do not increment my Quality Posts count. 69 is a good place to be. ;-)
MOD: We had to...we just HAD TO...

lichme

quality posts: 2785 Private Messages lichme

Not the exact model, but you can expect something like this:

I'm really bad at not putting on sun block at the beach, this would be a great way for me to be able to sit on the sand and stay cool. Wish the bag wasn't so girly.

lstaff

quality posts: 200 Private Messages lstaff
lichme wrote:I'm really bad at not putting on sun block at the beach, this would be a great way for me to be able to sit on the sand and stay cool. Wish the bag wasn't so girly.

I think it's really more tropical than girly. Go ahead, buy it. Noone will laugh at you.

(Unless, of course, you do NOT buy it and get a horrible sunburn. Then people may very well laugh at you. So buy it.)

str8teeth

quality posts: 0 Private Messages str8teeth

Is it really as teeny-tiny as the the video shows? Title of the clip does say "infant" cabana. If so, it doesn't look like you could do much in there, except broil like in a lodge sauna

sharond95

quality posts: 2 Private Messages sharond95
str8teeth wrote:Is it really as teeny-tiny as the the video shows? Title of the clip does say "infant" cabana. If so, it doesn't look like you could do much in there, except broil like in a lodge sauna

The video is for a different model.

traquy

quality posts: 51 Private Messages traquy

There is a picture on the page after you click on "I want one" showing how big it is. I was thinking this would be 1) a great little play tent for my kid and her friend that's easy to pop up/down for use as a "secret lab" on playdates and 2) great for going to outdoor concerts in the summer when you want some shade while waiting for it to start, then you can just fold it down when the show starts.

acaciasmom

quality posts: 4 Private Messages acaciasmom
str8teeth wrote:Is it really as teeny-tiny as the the video shows? Title of the clip does say "infant" cabana. If so, it doesn't look like you could do much in there, except broil like in a lodge sauna

from the main page:
"Over 7 Feet long, 4 Feet wide and nearly 4 Feet tall" I'm gunna say that as long as you're not sasquach, you will probably fit in it. If you are sasquach, you probably won't be hanging out at the beach anyways....

acaciasmom

quality posts: 4 Private Messages acaciasmom
traquy wrote:There is a picture on the page after you click on "I want one" showing how big it is. I was thinking this would be 1) a great little play tent for my kid and her friend that's easy to pop up/down for use as a "secret lab" on playdates and 2) great for going to outdoor concerts in the summer when you want some shade while waiting for it to start, then you can just fold it down when the show starts.

You could use as both, but why share? I used to do daycare and I loved this tent on Amazon for the kids... and it's $10 cheaper. I don't know that an adult could fit in it... but on one day there were at least 4 of my schoolagers and a baby inside this bad boy....www.amazon.com/Pacific-Play-Tents-Nursery-Tent/dp/B00000IUXC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369986714&sr=8-1&keywords=infant+tent

traquy

quality posts: 51 Private Messages traquy
acaciasmom wrote: I used to do daycare and I loved this tent on Amazon for the kids... and it's $10 cheaper.

It is $10 cheaper, but with the poles it does make it smaller, and easier to break. Plus not as quick to put up or take down (I only want it for the 3 hours they are playing). I have found, from experience that two 5 yr olds will make short work of tent poles. The pop up variety is worth the extra $15 because when push comes to shove comes to crashing comes to jumping and flopping the pop-up tent will, well, pop back up.

d00deub

quality posts: 0 Private Messages d00deub

Is there a bottom to it?

kidsandliz

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kidsandliz
acaciasmom wrote:from the main page:
"Over 7 Feet long, 4 Feet wide and nearly 4 Feet tall" I'm gunna say that as long as you're not sasquach, you will probably fit in it. If you are sasquach, you probably won't be hanging out at the beach anyways....

The "nearly 4' tall" clues you in that they are pup tent tall. there is a photo on amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Texsport-Calypso-Cabana-Beach-Shelter/dp/B001ASJDWW
That gives you a clue about the space inside (this is not the same one - 8' by 4' by 4' but it give you a rough idea). The last photo is with 2 beach chairs. Notice your legs will fry if there are two chairs under there.

They make bigger ones that you can actually sit in regular chairs (nice for not just the beach but soccer games in the driving rain, sleet, blazing sun... and all the other crappy weather kids play soccer in.

If you are looking for bigger ones, this one by Eureka (they are decent quality - they specialize in mid range price tents that are used by many commercial outdoor programs and so withstand significant abuse - speaking from personal experience here having used their 4 person tents with adjudicated youth) gives you some options

http://www.amazon.com/Eureka-Solar-Shade-Shelter-large/dp/B000EQAUBO/ref=sr_1_22?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1370003050&sr=1-22&keywords=cabana

More expensive (not sure where that $2000 comes from - their size large is $104 and is 10' long and 5'9" high) , but then they have 3 sizes where even the smallest is bigger...

dallaspeach

quality posts: 20 Private Messages dallaspeach

there is no bottom to it but you can use a blanket, towel etc.

d00deub wrote:Is there a bottom to it?

wreckz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wreckz

We have the one step ahead version. We had one with poles that you had to thread thru (which we sold at a yard sale). If you have the kids with you, the set up makes a big difference. We always get comments on it. Ours doesn't have a bottom, so you need to have a good blanket to put it over. As far as size, my wife (5'4") and I (5'11") can both sit in it with our 2 kids. I can't remember how much it was at onestepahead, but this price seems ok, not great. Still worth it if you spend time at the beach, park, etc.

dallaspeach

this is a One Step Ahead version and One Step Ahead was 79.95 plus shipping

wreckz wrote:We have the one step ahead version. We had one with poles that you had to thread thru (which we sold at a yard sale). If you have the kids with you, the set up makes a big difference. We always get comments on it. Ours doesn't have a bottom, so you need to have a good blanket to put it over. As far as size, my wife (5'4") and I (5'11") can both sit in it with our 2 kids. I can't remember how much it was at onestepahead, but this price seems ok, not great. Still worth it if you spend time at the beach, park, etc.

go0nie

quality posts: 1 Private Messages go0nie

This video looks like the actual model being used and folded up in a yard and on the beach. It gives a good idea of size and ease of folding it up.

knowles05

quality posts: 0 Private Messages knowles05

Can you use this on a pool deck (cement area)?

dallaspeach

The outside of the cabana has pockets along the bottom. The alt image shows sand but if you can find any sort of weight to hold it down, it will work. It will stand up without anything as well but of course any wind action and you will be chasing it everywhere

knowles05 wrote:Can you use this on a pool deck (cement area)?

chouette44

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chouette44

The description gives dimensions as 7' long, 4' wide, & 4' high...