Shipping Options: $5 Standard OR $12 Two-Day OR $15 One-Day
Condition: New

Search Amazon Search Google

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3465 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Good reviews (3.65 out of 5.0) over at amazon

starmanbackwards

quality posts: 6 Private Messages starmanbackwards

is this powered by batteries or a wall outlet?
if plug-in power IM IN

mistamoose

quality posts: 30 Private Messages mistamoose
starmanbackwards wrote:is this powered by batteries or a wall outlet?
if plug-in power IM IN

The second pic features the AC cord.

mistamoose

This is a good deal. I remember it was $35 or so briefly on Amazon back in December, but then spiked right back up to $75.

starmanbackwards

mistamoose wrote:The second pic features the AC cord.

I see that now.......thanks...im an old guy and i recall going to the slot car track back in the 60s and it was a ton of fun...
Im in for one......cant wait to race the Gson at christmas time...WOOOOOT

mistamoose

starmanbackwards wrote:I see that now.......thanks...im an old guy and i recall going to the slot car track back in the 60s and it was a ton of fun...
Im in for one......cant wait to race the Gson at christmas time...WOOOOOT

You could always get more than one set for more track!

starmanbackwards

mistamoose wrote:You could always get more than one set for more track!

YOure correct but i wont...this one has 11ft of track and my recollection is that the home version didnt hold up very well....
and who knows if it holds up ill be looking for more tracks down the line

mschauber

quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber
mistamoose wrote:You could always get more than one set for more track!

Can you actually combine two of these to make 1 longer course?

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

jeeperwoot

quality posts: 29 Private Messages jeeperwoot
mschauber wrote:Can you actually combine two of these to make 1 longer course?

wondering the same. used to on the old sets anyhow.

starmanbackwards

mschauber wrote:Can you actually combine two of these to make 1 longer course?

im pretty sure you can and you can make your own track design..

lets see if the mods can tell us for certain

lboban

quality posts: 12 Private Messages lboban
starmanbackwards wrote:im pretty sure you can and you can make your own track design..

lets see if the mods can tell us for certain

I'm not a mod, but I'm the wife of a slot car addict (there are literally over 1,000 of them and hundreds of feet of track in my basement!). So I know a few things.

Yes, you can add the track together. Track from the same manufacturer works together.

Don't set these up on carpet! Little bits of rug will get into the works and make the cars stop running. Bare floors or table tops work best.

Be prepared to spend some time helping your kids get these going. They are electric and kids should be supervised. But its fun time...

Your kids will learn about speed - too fast in the corners and your cars fly off into the room! They aren't that fragile, but do that enough and they will break.

Those paper bits around the track aren't needed, and they will eventually break. But they look cool!

Yes, these are a good deal. I've seen them over $100 in some shops.

Any other questions I'll be happy to pass on to my resident slot car expert.

rinverso

quality posts: 3 Private Messages rinverso

why do they call it carrera go, if it isn't carrera cars? i woulda bought it if they were porsche carrera's. bummer

BPL5683

quality posts: 24 Private Messages BPL5683

Staff

rinverso wrote:why do they call it carrera go, if it isn't carrera cars? i woulda bought it if they were porsche carrera's. bummer

Carrera is the brand, they're out of Germany, and have been making slot cars since the 1960's. The name was inspired by the Porsche car, but there is no direct affiliation. Carrera is one of the top names in slot cars, and one of the oldest.

To add on to what else has been said. The track is expandable. The GO! series is Carrera's entry level 1:43rd scale line of slot cars. You can buy extra track from Carrera directly, or you might try Amazon. Any 1:43 scale GO! car will work on this track.

I would also remind people. That you or your child simply can't mash down the button, and expect the car to stay on the track. Like real racing, slot cars take some skill, and you'll have to slow down to make sharp turns.

Email customer service: support@woot.com for order problems ~OR~ Use the Support form linked at the top of every page.

SparkyMartin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SparkyMartin

I bought this for $35 on a lightning deal from Amazon around Christmas time. I must say that I have been pretty disappointed in it. The track only got a few hours of good use before the knob on the bottom of one of the cars broke off and now that car can no longer be used. I wouldn't buy it again...not even for the $35 I paid during the Amazon holiday lightning deal.

Crab

quality posts: 47 Private Messages Crab

Bought this for the rugrat (4 year old) at Christmas. It is not that good. My list of grievances:

- The cars move too fast for the track, so invariably they go flying off into the air when they try to take a turn. I should add that the straight-aways aren't long enough to warrant cars that move this fast.

- Despite this, for some reason the manufacturer put restrictors on the controllers which, if removed, allow the cars to go even faster (which of course causes them to fly off the track when they take a turn). The restrictors are small plastic clips that go on the controller right below the plunger button, preventing the plunger from being depressed all the way. The first thing a four year old does when he gets ahold of a controller is yank off the restrictor. This means I am continually picking up cars off the carpet and putting them back on the track.

- The railings / billboards are made of stiff paper (not even cardboard, let alone plastic). As you can imagine, they quickly get bent, frayed and torn. I took them off and discarded them.

- The conduits on the underside of the cars (the part that draws power from the metal rails in the track) are made of flat, braided wire. They collect fuzz and lint, and are easily bent, which means that I am constantly getting called over by my son to straighten them out because the cars stopped working. (they need to be lined up parallel with the underside of the car, with the front end of the wire folded to touch the back end, in order for the car to work). I seem to remember that on the old-school slot cars, the cars had small flat metal plates on their undersides.

- The track connectors (the tabs on the ends of the track that snap together to hold the pieces of track together) are delicate and break easily.

- The controls have a cheap-y feel to them, and are not that solid.

The rugrat played with this a few times, but when he couldn't have races with his friend (because the cars kept flying off the track), he lost interest. On the plus side, the cars look nice and the superhero theme is attractive. To answer other questions, this runs on electricity (not batteries). Theoretically, you could snap other track of the same guage to it to extend the length, but I don't know whether the power supply would put out enough juice to power a longer track. As it stands, out of the box, there is only one configuration: the figure-8 shown in the pic.

xz3r0

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xz3r0
Crab wrote:The cars move too fast for the track, so invariably they go flying off into the air when they try to take a turn.

That's the point. They are supposed to fly off if you're going to fast. Its a penalty.

What would be the point if you could just hold a button down and they keep going around forever?

BPL5683

quality posts: 24 Private Messages BPL5683

Staff

Crab wrote:Bought this for the rugrat (4 year old) at Christmas. It is not that good. My list of grievances:

- The cars move too fast for the track, so invariably they go flying off into the air when they try to take a turn. I should add that the straight-aways aren't long enough to warrant cars that move this fast.

- Despite this, for some reason the manufacturer put restrictors on the controllers which, if removed, allow the cars to go even faster (which of course causes them to fly off the track when they take a turn). The restrictors are small plastic clips that go on the controller right below the plunger button, preventing the plunger from being depressed all the way. The first thing a four year old does when he gets ahold of a controller is yank off the restrictor. This means I am continually picking up cars off the carpet and putting them back on the track.

- The railings / billboards are made of stiff paper (not even cardboard, let alone plastic). As you can imagine, they quickly get bent, frayed and torn. I took them off and discarded them.

- The conduits on the underside of the cars (the part that draws power from the metal rails in the track) are made of flat, braided wire. They collect fuzz and lint, and are easily bent, which means that I am constantly getting called over by my son to straighten them out because the cars stopped working. (they need to be lined up parallel with the underside of the car, with the front end of the wire folded to touch the back end, in order for the car to work). I seem to remember that on the old-school slot cars, the cars had small flat metal plates on their undersides.

- The track connectors (the tabs on the ends of the track that snap together to hold the pieces of track together) are delicate and break easily.

- The controls have a cheap-y feel to them, and are not that solid.

The rugrat played with this a few times, but when he couldn't have races with his friend (because the cars kept flying off the track), he lost interest. On the plus side, the cars look nice and the superhero theme is attractive. To answer other questions, this runs on electricity (not batteries). Theoretically, you could snap other track of the same guage to it to extend the length, but I don't know whether the power supply would put out enough juice to power a longer track. As it stands, out of the box, there is only one configuration: the figure-8 shown in the pic.

Woot and Carrera (the Manufacturer) recommend this for kids 8 years of age and older. As mentioned in mine and others previous posts. Slot cars take some skill, and you can't simply mash down the throttle and expect the car to stay on the track (the same goes for real cars). I'm afraid you bought this for a child who is too young to appreciate it, or who would have the patience to learn how to use it properly.

Another reason we recommend this for kids 8 and above is the fact these cars are running on an electrified track, and may not be safe for younger children if used improperly.

Email customer service: support@woot.com for order problems ~OR~ Use the Support form linked at the top of every page.

maxrfb

quality posts: 8 Private Messages maxrfb
xz3r0 wrote:That's the point. They are supposed to fly off if you're going to fast. Its a penalty.

What would be the point if you could just hold a button down and they keep going around forever?

Yeah, then it would just be a model train.

wow. I actually bought a Robot Elvis.
What was I thinking?

cnaren

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cnaren

Incredible... Woot just lost a loyal customer. They could not change a simple shipping mode, less than one minute after my order, so I have to disappoint my son on Friday. Amazon, here I come!

mistamoose

cnaren wrote:Incredible... Woot just lost a loyal customer. They could not change a simple shipping mode, less than one minute after my order, so I have to disappoint my son on Friday. Amazon, here I come!

Can you create another account and order that way?

soshshops

quality posts: 2 Private Messages soshshops

Bought the Spiderman version of this before Christmas. Really cheaply constructed. Used it one time, cars barely ran.

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

cnaren wrote:Incredible... Woot just lost a loyal customer. They could not change a simple shipping mode, less than one minute after my order, so I have to disappoint my son on Friday. Amazon, here I come!

Sorry we made you disappoint your son. Due to our volume and processes, it's not always easy for us to make immediate changes/cancellations to orders. I'm not sure if you did yet, but please email Support@Woot.com and we'll do what we can to help.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

corny40

quality posts: 0 Private Messages corny40

Uh? Doesn't Amazon own Woot now?

jpeggers

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jpeggers
corny40 wrote:Uh? Doesn't Amazon own Woot now?

for everything except honoring amazon prime or their prior shipping arrangement. I'm sure woot will change their ways after a mildly disgruntled person decreases their woot purchases from 4 to 3 in a year. Take that woot

Crab

quality posts: 47 Private Messages Crab
BPL5683 wrote:Woot and Carrera (the Manufacturer) recommend this for kids 8 years of age and older. As mentioned in mine and others previous posts. Slot cars take some skill, and you can't simply mash down the throttle and expect the car to stay on the track (the same goes for real cars). I'm afraid you bought this for a child who is too young to appreciate it, or who would have the patience to learn how to use it properly.

Another reason we recommend this for kids 8 and above is the fact these cars are running on an electrified track, and may not be safe for younger children if used improperly.

Fair enough, though it still seems that their target demographic is kids younger than 8 (given the size of the cars, the short track, and the fact that they plastered comic book superheroes all over it). My recollection is that the sets marketed to older kids have smaller cars and more track.

I don't see the track presenting any more of a danger to a 4 year old than an 8 year old, given the extra attention paid to safety and design in children's toys, but YMMV.

My other points still stand: the paper guardrails are cheap, the tabs on the track are flimsy, and the contacts on the underside of the cars are poorly designed (they should have used the solid metal plates instead of braided wire).