WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Trend Lab Diapers

Yes, diapers are for things that come out of your little one. But in between those events, you want 'em to impress people, don't you? Colorful cloth diapers are exactly what you need to turn a negative into a positive. No, don't act like you don't understand. You get it. You all get it.

bluejester

quality posts: 568 Private Messages bluejester

The wife and I are trying out cloth diapers so we are hoping some one gets her these at the upcoming shower. As a dad-to-be, and future diaper changer, what can I expect with a product like this?

beck12

quality posts: 41 Private Messages beck12
bluejester wrote:The wife and I are trying out cloth diapers so we are hoping some one gets her these at the upcoming shower. As a dad-to-be, and future diaper changer, what can I expect with a product like this?

For newbies this style is nice as it snaps in & out, so they are easy to understand what & how to do it. I cloth diaper & it saves a lot of money & is much easier than I initially thought it would be. I have not used this particular brand, but have used similar ones. I personally prefer a much different style, but that is because I try to line dry as much as I can & liners this thick take a while to dry...other than that they are easy. They do require stripping more often than some other styles, as again, the thickness makes it easier for residues from soap to accumulate & make them less absorbent, but it's not as if stripping is a huge hassle.

spending my kid's college funds one woot off at a time

kitkatkattykat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kitkatkattykat

Microfiber against baby's skin is a no no in cloth diapering. It pulls all moisture away and can lead to a nasty rash! I haven't tried these myself and was very tempted to get as we need to get a bigger size for our daughter. Will not be b/c of the microfiber inserts

frozenDaVE

quality posts: 0 Private Messages frozenDaVE

A dad here...

We bought these last time through and they're working great. The inserts are fleece-topped microfiber, so it's actually fleece against the baby's skin. We grabbed a yard of microfleece from the fabric store and cut it into some liners, anyway, since we also use cotton prefolds with these shells. Using an extra liner definitely creates a nice moisture barrier so he stays dry even when the diaper is soaked.

Cloth diapering has definitely been a piece of cake so far, although our little guy's still exclusively bottle fed, so his poops are still easy to wash and deal with. Our daytime setup is using OsoCozy prefolds in one of these shells with a fleece liner on top. Then we've been saving the soaker pads that came with these diapers (and bought a few extra) for nighttime so he can last a bit longer.

These shells seem to be pretty decent quality, definitely on a lower rung compared to some of the higher end GroVia diapers we've bought, but pretty comparable. And at this price, they're definitely more affordable -- we've spent a little over $100 in total (6 of these diapers, a couple extra pads, a dozen prefolds, and a few other shells on sale), compared to $25 a box for pampers...

kcsavage

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kcsavage

Another newish dad here. We have these diapers and bum genius diapers. These diapers are a pain in the butt to put on a squirming child. I've decided any cloth diaper with more than two snaps on each side is a no-no for our kid.

When trying to put this diaper on our daughter I'm lucky if I get at least two of the snaps snapped before she starts kicking ;)

Bum Genius: http://www.amazon.com/bumGenius-One-Size-Closure-Cloth-Diaper/dp/B003VRGYT0

frozenDaVE

quality posts: 0 Private Messages frozenDaVE
kcsavage wrote:Another newish dad here. We have these diapers and bum genius diapers. These diapers are a pain in the butt to put on a squirming child. I've decided any cloth diaper with more than two snaps on each side is a no-no for our kid.

When trying to put this diaper on our daughter I'm lucky if I get at least two of the snaps snapped before she starts kicking ;)

Bum Genius: http://www.amazon.com/bumGenius-One-Size-Closure-Cloth-Diaper/dp/B003VRGYT0

Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I only use two snaps on each side...

Squirming around is definitely our biggest issue with cloth diapers, especially with a thin fleece liner in the mix. I love the GroVia velcro diapers that we grabbed, as they can go on quickly and are quick to readjust, as well. But you're looking at $17-20 per diaper: http://www.amazon.com/GroVia-Hook-Diaper-Shell-System/dp/B0040K4K2A/

I also noticed that the fabric area with the velcro gets wet easier if things aren't perfectly set up and the soaker/prefold touches the outer shell.

star84

quality posts: 2 Private Messages star84

Got two covers and two extra liner packs last time this was up. We're new to cloth diapers.

I don't recommend the liners at all! They're fleece with microfiber on the bottom. My daughter had a rash right away, from the heat or material or both. They were absorbent but not as much as what I replaced them with. I'm keeping them around for spills but they definitely did not work as diaper liners for us.

The covers, however, seem pretty good. They're thin enough to dry very quickly—I take them out of the washer and just hang them over the kitchen chairs. I'm sure you could blow-dry them and have them done almost immediately. Hubby says pee leaked through once but I didn't notice it. I've seen some heavy pee diapers and a few big breastmilk poops and these covers haven't leaked for me yet.

The covers are a little bulky if you use the snaps to shorten them lengthwise. However, my daughter is only about 13 pounds and 5 months old and I don't use those snaps. The covers fit well and I don't have a problem getting her into them. She is starting to wiggle when I put them on but BTDT with my older child and disposables.

We switched to indian cotton prefolds for liners. I got the premium size from cottonbabies.com. They're still a bit big for my daughter so the diapers are pretty bulky. But the prefolds fit these covers great and they're super absorbent! They work even better than disposables, especially for poop. Now that we switched liners my daughter hasn't had any rashes. For now our system is super easy, just a prefold and cover works day or night.

Overall I recommend these covers. I haven't tried other brands yet (of course just ordered two yesterday!). But at worst these are a great stash filler.

yraiym

quality posts: 1 Private Messages yraiym
kitkatkattykat wrote:Microfiber against baby's skin is a no no in cloth diapering. It pulls all moisture away and can lead to a nasty rash! I haven't tried these myself and was very tempted to get as we need to get a bigger size for our daughter. Will not be b/c of the microfiber inserts

Microfiber placed directly against the baby's skin is bad, as you mention, but from looking at the Trend Labs site, http://www.trend-lab.com/clothdiapers.html, it is clear that the absorbent padding has a fleece lining touching the skin -- much like the lining used in a pocket diaper like BumGenius.

Target sells this brand for $12.99/diaper (http://www.target.com/p/trend-lab-cloth-diaper-with-liner-one-size-select-color/-/A-14191250?ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001&AFID=Google_PLA_df&LNM=|14006209&CPNG=Baby&kpid=14006209&LID=PA&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=14006209), so if you are buying enough of these to offset the $5 shipping, this is a great deal. This is still a good deal for cloth diapers, in that many brands sell for $18-20 or more.

In my own experience cloth diapering, I LOVE the snaps as opposed to "hook and loop" closure (a familiar brand name for that is Velcro). Velcro closures begin to curl up over time (less than a year), and get clogged with lint. Snaps last much longer.

I also preferred using natural fibers like hemp and cotton, as my child got diaper rash less often, and they held more. But the microfiber is cheaper, so this is a good cheap introduction to cloth diapering for those who want to try.

beck12

quality posts: 41 Private Messages beck12
yraiym wrote:Microfiber placed directly against the baby's skin is bad, as you mention, but from looking at the Trend Labs site, http://www.trend-lab.com/clothdiapers.html, it is clear that the absorbent padding has a fleece lining touching the skin -- much like the lining used in a pocket diaper like BumGenius.

Target sells this brand for $12.99/diaper (http://www.target.com/p/trend-lab-cloth-diaper-with-liner-one-size-select-color/-/A-14191250?ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001&AFID=Google_PLA_df&LNM=|14006209&CPNG=Baby&kpid=14006209&LID=PA&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=14006209), so if you are buying enough of these to offset the $5 shipping, this is a great deal. This is still a good deal for cloth diapers, in that many brands sell for $18-20 or more.

In my own experience cloth diapering, I LOVE the snaps as opposed to "hook and loop" closure (a familiar brand name for that is Velcro). Velcro closures begin to curl up over time (less than a year), and get clogged with lint. Snaps last much longer.

I also preferred using natural fibers like hemp and cotton, as my child got diaper rash less often, and they held more. But the microfiber is cheaper, so this is a good cheap introduction to cloth diapering for those who want to try.

I agree on loving snaps. I've had the same curling issues as well as BOTH my kids early on learning how to undo velcro, so a dipe is useless if it's not on. They'd reach inside their pants & pull the tabs & I wouldn't even realize it until we'd have a leak. Even one side undone is almost as bad as having no diaper on at all. LOL (I can laugh now...but not then). I used mostly old fashioned flat folds with snappis & covers for this very reason, then the diaper was ALWAYS in place, even if the cover was opened. If we have more kids I WILL replace any of the velcros we have. The ONLY exception to this was Imse Vimse, which I adore, but they are also $16
+ dollars per cover to start (and go up from there) and they are NOT one size fits all - so they are AMAZING but they are also a very pricey way to go if they will be your sole type of cover. BUT they do have a far far superior form of Aplix (velcro) and they last like you wouldn't believe.

spending my kid's college funds one woot off at a time

chrystal12

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chrystal12
kitkatkattykat wrote:Microfiber against baby's skin is a no no in cloth diapering. It pulls all moisture away and can lead to a nasty rash! I haven't tried these myself and was very tempted to get as we need to get a bigger size for our daughter. Will not be b/c of the microfiber inserts

It says that these are fleece topped microfiber, so the fleece is what touches baby's skin. should be no problem!

bridubs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bridubs

If you're choosing these for price, just know there are other diapers that are comparable. Just have to do some looking. If you're using them primarily as covers, then Diaper Safari and Nicki's Diapers both offer their own brand of dipes in this price range.

huncut

quality posts: 3 Private Messages huncut

As others said, in the description it says they are fleece topped so that is hopefully not an issue, but when diaper lab first came out they did not have any of their inserts fleece topped so if you get the original version that would be a major issue.

TT just for confirmation these are their new ones that don't have exposed microfiber right?

takethemeatbridge

quality posts: 10 Private Messages takethemeatbridge
bridubs wrote:If you're choosing these for price, just know there are other diapers that are comparable. Just have to do some looking. If you're using them primarily as covers, then Diaper Safari and Nicki's Diapers both offer their own brand of dipes in this price range.

Cloth Diapering new dad here, bought three of these last time, before the Dark Times of the Cart.

These are great, and it's a good price if you get a few of them to defray shipping. The liners are thick and plush, and we have had no irritation issues with the fleece.

Love the fact that they are adjustable. Baby is 10 weeks old and just graduated to the second set of vertical snaps.

These are All-in-2 diapers, meaning the liners snap in which I prefer over pockets, because there is a (vanishingly small) chance that the mess will be contained by the liner and you can reuse the shell. Plus you don't have to reach into a poop-covered pocket to pull out a liner. My wife prefers the pockets, though.

Comparing to other brands in the sub-$10 price range like the Kawaii, these have slightly thicker liners and seem to hold more liquid before becoming saturated.

We have tried at least 7 different brands, and none have been 100% leak free. The TrendLabs perform like a $15 diaper.

Also, a note on snaps, there are three, but you only use all three if set to the widest setting. Anything smaller, and you use the two top "belt snaps," not the "hip snap."

ssand23

quality posts: 16 Private Messages ssand23
takethemeatbridge wrote:We have tried at least 7 different brands, and none have been 100% leak free. The TrendLabs perform like a $15 diaper.

That's awesome that you are a cloth diapering dad. Often times dads can't be bothered. I've been cloth diapering my children for the past 14 years and have 1 in cloth now. You shouldn't be having leaks at all and it sounds like you have a lot of leaks. That is usually one of the perks of cloth diapers over disposables, no leaks! I'd keep trying diapers you have by adding a doubler to absorb more or just trying other brands or styles. I found fitted diapers with covers work best for my child. I know some brands just didn't work for him at all and that can vary from child to child. Sometimes certain detergents can cause build up that repels wetness and causes leaks (we just stick with liquid Tide or liquid All Free, I make sure I use enough but also make sure I've done extra rinses to rinse it all out at every wash) and some diaper creams can repel wetness from the fabrics of the diaper. During the day, we always have to change diapers every 2 hours (pretty standard with cloth diapers) but we are able to go all night with out leaks. Some cloth diaper brands fit better on different builds, boys vs girls and some kind of stink across the board.

On another note, I have not tried these diapers sold here myself but when I asked other cloth diapering friends about this brand, they got a big thumbs down. Personally from my experience with other microfiber diapers, microfiber gets stinky (stink builds up over time and even after washing, no matter how often you wash, they will still be smelly) and requires more care (some brands recommend bleaching the microfiber once a month).

keea4ster

quality posts: 2 Private Messages keea4ster

We've been cloth diapering for 3.5 years and are on our 3rd cloth diapered kid. I got 2 of these inserts in blue from target and they are my favorites over BumGenius pocket or Flip inserts. Like previous, the fleece side goes against the skin and we have no stink issues at all. Rinsing the inserts after a diaper change does help to get alot of that out and it doesn't sit in the pail for another 24-48 hours. I have dried these inserts and they have barely any wear except how fleece behaves over time. Since I am pretty set on cloth right now I probably won't be getting any unless I get the 2 pk inserts. If you are considering trying cloth, go for it, you don't need a whole library of diapers to see if it works for you, try a few, wash/dry and do that for a few weeks. Good luck!

anthropomorph

quality posts: 0 Private Messages anthropomorph
chrystal12 wrote:It says that these are fleece topped microfiber, so the fleece is what touches baby's skin. should be no problem!

I got these from woot a while ago, and they did give my son a rash, pretty much right away. However, the microfiber lining to the cover holds a prefold in place pretty well, so I think my purchase was worth it at the price even for just using the cover.

I also altered the inserts by taking off most of the layers from the back portion, leaving the snap in place, and replacing them with cotton. Probably more effort than it was worth, though.