WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

XOLO Mismatched Shoes for Kids & Mom

It would be nice to be able to look fondly on my first pair of shoes. To see bright colors and patterns and think, "Wow. I was pretty hip then." But nope. First shoes I remember were saddle shoes, black and white monsters. Moms think kids love 'em, but they don't. THEY DON'T. Try these instead, please.
XOLO official site

thackman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thackman

Buyer Beware! These are cute shoes, HOWEVER, I bought two pairs during their last Woot! and they both fell apart after two weeks. When sent photos and inquired about a replacement, the company offered to sell me more shoes saying: "can't promise you the quality will be that much better though….at a discounted price of $12.50 per pair (plus shipping)"

I declined the offer.

johnatxolo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages johnatxolo
thackman wrote:Buyer Beware! These are cute shoes, HOWEVER, I bought two pairs during their last Woot! and they both fell apart after two weeks. When sent photos and inquired about a replacement, the company offered to sell me more shoes saying: "can't promise you the quality will be that much better though….at a discounted price of $12.50 per pair (plus shipping)"

I declined the offer.

Hey Thackman - PLEASE give us another chance. We were a new company that was going thru some growing pains. Our quality is spot on now and you shouldn't have any problems. Out of the THOUSANDS of pairs of shoes that we have sold - we have had less than 10 pr come back as damaged or defective.

And ya know - Kids will be kids. I have 3 kids and their XOLO shoes have held up great - after multiple washings! My oldest one left them in the pool overnight and the worst thing that happened was - they faded a little bit!

kpascover

quality posts: 3 Private Messages kpascover
thackman wrote:Buyer Beware! These are cute shoes, HOWEVER, I bought two pairs during their last Woot! and they both fell apart after two weeks. When sent photos and inquired about a replacement, the company offered to sell me more shoes saying: "can't promise you the quality will be that much better though….at a discounted price of $12.50 per pair (plus shipping)"

I declined the offer.

I had the same issue, but mine fell apart in less time, and I accepted the offer for the replacement pair. Both are falling apart and my daughter doesn't even want to wear them anymore.

elvisisdead

quality posts: 0 Private Messages elvisisdead

Same here. These shoes will NOT last. My daughter wore them 3 times. The eyelets pulled out from the canvas, the rubber separated from the canvas, and the shoelaces frayed. These shoes are $18 + $5 shipping. For $23, these are a waste. For a bit more I can get her a pair of similar shoes that she can't wear out. They're really cute, but for $7.50 per wear and then they're trashed, they aren't worth it.

Please consider the bad reputation that's generated when you release a crap product as your first venture. I for one won't buy these again. Not on a discount, not on Woot, and not full price. Cute doesn't override poor quality. Anything else only has to last 4 times to be a better shoes....

annieunt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages annieunt

What are your kids doing to these shoes??? My son is always in the mud, climbing trees and on the go. All I have to do is toss his shoes in the wash and they are good to go. He's had them going on 7 months and they are still his favorite pair. Best 30 bucks I ever spent and I bought them from XOLO, not on Woot!

mommywonder

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mommywonder

We love our XOLO Shoes! Bought them the last sale. I imagine you must have gotten a pair that just was a bad egg....my daughter wears her alot (not everyday so maybe that contributed?)....we use them for special/fun events and she gets lots of attention from them. They are super cute.

smatzke

quality posts: 3 Private Messages smatzke

I bought 2 pair for my daughter last woot and they have held up well. I have no complaints.

traquy

quality posts: 53 Private Messages traquy

I was considering these shoes as I like having slip-ons for my daughter, but I was wondering how flexible they are. I hate shoes that have solid soles that barely flex when she walks as it causes them to flip off her heel. I find many of these "Vans" style shoes have the very stiff sole. Any comments on that?

johnatxolo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages johnatxolo

Our shoes are made with "vulcanized" rubber so they are very flexible vs a normal rubber. One thing to note - the smaller sizes are less flexible than the larger sizes simply due to their smaller sizes. The slip on's have a elastic on the sides to keep them on feet more securely. So I think you should be ok!

traquy wrote:I was considering these shoes as I like having slip-ons for my daughter, but I was wondering how flexible they are. I hate shoes that have solid soles that barely flex when she walks as it causes them to flip off her heel. I find many of these "Vans" style shoes have the very stiff sole. Any comments on that?

thackman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thackman
johnatxolo wrote:Hey Thackman - PLEASE give us another chance. We were a new company that was going thru some growing pains. Our quality is spot on now and you shouldn't have any problems. Out of the THOUSANDS of pairs of shoes that we have sold - we have had less than 10 pr come back as damaged or defective.

And ya know - Kids will be kids. I have 3 kids and their XOLO shoes have held up great - after multiple washings! My oldest one left them in the pool overnight and the worst thing that happened was - they faded a little bit!

I would have been happy to give another chance to a company that offered to replace a defective product at no cost, not one that offered to let me pay for more defective products. Those quotation marks are in my initial post for a reason. That is a direct quote from an e-mail I received from the president of your company.

I resent the implication that my kids destroyed perfectly good shoes in two weeks. The photos I sent CLEARLY showed a defective product - the soles were coming apart on both pairs. Woot refunded my money when your company did not offer me an acceptable (or fair) resolution.

jcharpentier

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jcharpentier

Was thinking about these for the kids until I saw the poor reviews.

Note that the two glowing reviews from "annieunt" and "mommywonder" are from users who just signed up yesterday and have never bought anything from woot. (Even better- just noticed this quote from one of them: "We love our XOLO Shoes! Bought them the last sale." I wasn't going to call you a company shill before- I was just suspicious. However, it's pretty clear to me after reading that.)

Thank you @thackman, @kpascover, and @elvisisdead for providing honest reviews that will keep me from wasting my money.

And thank you Woot for providing a user feedback system that allows me to see when reviews should be ignored.

beck12

quality posts: 41 Private Messages beck12
annieunt wrote:What are your kids doing to these shoes??? My son is always in the mud, climbing trees and on the go. All I have to do is toss his shoes in the wash and they are good to go. He's had them going on 7 months and they are still his favorite pair. Best 30 bucks I ever spent and I bought them from XOLO, not on Woot!

My son wore them a total of twice, while in dress clothing & for a few hours each time & they split up the back (and they were about a half size large, so it wasn't due to tight fit). Maybe you lucked out & I am glad if you did, but I was not impressed with these shoes either. I LOVE the style & would have ordered more now if his shoes held up at all, but I have never had another pair of his shoes fall apart like this. Not once. I've never had to retire a pair due to too much wear/damage, he usually outgrows them faster than that...but being as he wore them twice in a week & had a split, I am pretty sure his feet won't grow fast enough to outlast these. I did not contact the company as in my past experience with such things (faulty product), it's just more frustration. I hand stitched them back together myself with an upholstery needle & it looks okay, but the fact is no one should have to do repairs after about a total of 5 hrs of wear most of which was setting (think church & out to lunch with grandma...literally).

spending my kid's college funds one woot off at a time

nelleleon

quality posts: 2 Private Messages nelleleon
jcharpentier wrote:
Thank you @thackman, @kpascover, and @elvisisdead for providing honest reviews that will keep me from wasting my money.

Yes, thank you for your honest reviews.

gr8ful79

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gr8ful79

I wish the toddler shoes had laces. I have to knot my son's laces to get him to leave them on. Slip on shoes are slip off shoes.

neveraging

quality posts: 3 Private Messages neveraging

Funny to me how no one is talking about the sizing. My toddler was wearing a 5.5-6 in every other brand of shoe, ordered some of these in 7 and they were crazy small. Woot handled the frustration very well, but no replacement available.
A month ago we stumbled into a local vendor and got a pair of 9s(!) fit fine, and have stood up to toddler level abuse.

GH

beck12

neveraging wrote:Funny to me how no one is talking about the sizing. My toddler was wearing a 5.5-6 in every other brand of shoe, ordered some of these in 7 and they were crazy small. Woot handled the frustration very well, but no replacement available.
A month ago we stumbled into a local vendor and got a pair of 9s(!) fit fine, and have stood up to toddler level abuse.

Must be inconsistent in sizing then as the ones I got did at least fit rue to size.

kpascover

quality posts: 3 Private Messages kpascover
annieunt wrote:What are your kids doing to these shoes??? My son is always in the mud, climbing trees and on the go. All I have to do is toss his shoes in the wash and they are good to go. He's had them going on 7 months and they are still his favorite pair. Best 30 bucks I ever spent and I bought them from XOLO, not on Woot!

Sadly, my daughter was ONLY wearing them to school, and playing on the playground. At the time, she couldn't even tie her own shoes, which meant double knots to last all day, which in turn means less disruption to the laces, so the metal rings shouldn't have been coming off at all! The shoes had a pretty sheltered life, for her, which means they should have lasted more than a week. They're not sturdy playground shoes, but they're really just made for fashion, casual indoor parties, and occasional wear, rather than any kind of play as an everyday shoe.

bruiser30

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bruiser30

I declined the offer.

My daughter's shoes also started coming apart within three wearings.

beck12

kpascover wrote:Sadly, my daughter was ONLY wearing them to school, and playing on the playground. At the time, she couldn't even tie her own shoes, which meant double knots to last all day, which in turn means less disruption to the laces, so the metal rings shouldn't have been coming off at all! The shoes had a pretty sheltered life, for her, which means they should have lasted more than a week. They're not sturdy playground shoes, but they're really just made for fashion, casual indoor parties, and occasional wear, rather than any kind of play as an everyday shoe.

They aren't even made for that as my son's split down the back seam & that IS how he was wearing them (" fashion, casual indoor parties, and occasional wear") he didn't actually play in them, ever....they were worn I figured 7 hrs MAXIMUM total before I noticed the split.

dellasanchez

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dellasanchez

I guess I made the mistake of showing these to my girls before reading the reviews. I would like to buy them each a pair with matching backpack for the fall. I cannot find decent reviews to merit the purchase though.

della
-who has my kitten picture?

rtgordon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rtgordon

Same here... bought two pairs for the kids... started falling apart after wearing a few times. They still wear them here and there, but don't look very good. They were cheap enough and cute for a little while.

elvisisdead

quality posts: 0 Private Messages elvisisdead

What my daughter did was wear them to school. Period. They do not and will not stand up to normal wear and tear. Or rephrase - they might for about 3 days. They are attractive but poor quality shoes.

I don't want a refund. I don't want a replacement pair. What I do want is to be sure that anyone who considers buying them knows my experience with the product. Especially in light of the fact that it appears as if the company that makes them generated fake user accounts to try to combat poor reviews. They need to be banned from selling any more products on Woot.

All I would ask is that Woot check the IP addresses of the 3 accounts. The 2 fake ones and the one of the xolo employee. I'd bet a pair of cheaply made shoes that they are the same.

Xolo should be ashamed for taking this tactic rather than providing proper customer support, or even better, a quality product.

green2red

quality posts: 0 Private Messages green2red

Ok, so these arrived last night...I re-laced them so that they are not laced from underneath. Sorry just one of my pet peeves. Shoes tend to fit (at least for me) better when laced correctly...but some might say that's like the toilet paper roll, there is no right way.

Wore these to work today (we have casual fridays so sneaks are allowed, and yes even mis matched ones..ha!)

So far, they have lasted one day...(sitting mostly) so we'll see. They don't seem to be that badly made. Time will tell.

lvennard

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lvennard

I ordered two pair, one adult and one toddler. Woot's shipping status says "awaiting shipping". However, the adult shoes have arrived just a couple days after ordering. No sign of the toddler shoes yet. Anyone else not received their order? Possible its still in shipping? How long should i wait til i query the company about it?