5%
2%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

lichme

quality posts: 3008 Private Messages lichme

If your kid decides NOT to keep collecting cards, you can always use them in your spokes to make that cool motor noise.

thumperchick

quality posts: 244 Private Messages thumperchick

Isn't the point of card collection to find rare cards? Wouldn't a 100 card standard starter set be counter to the idea?

bpr2

quality posts: 181 Private Messages bpr2

Will a Michael Jordan baseball card be in this mix?

that was fun while it lasted!

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3645 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

The inner 10 yo in me is saying BUY!BUY!BUY!!!!!!!!

beck12

quality posts: 41 Private Messages beck12
thumperchick wrote:Isn't the point of card collection to find rare cards? Wouldn't a 100 card standard starter set be counter to the idea?

I was thinking the same thing & it is 1000 cards here, not 100...which in fact would make better sense to me than 1000. However, since they go from 1970's through present, chances are a kid might actually think they are a rare find as they may not have a clue who most of those players are.

spending my kid's college funds one woot off at a time

dhett

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dhett

If you want $3 worth of sports cards, this is the way to go. If you want to do it right, get a legit box of unsearched cards still in packs which can be had from local card shops for $5. Your kids or grandkids will have much more fun opening the sealed packs and there is actually a chance of getting a somewhat valuable rookie or chase card this way...

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1070 Private Messages whatsamattaU

My 2 cents
First, there are a LOT of Upper Deck LeBron rookie cards that year, all I can find so far for the #53 card is around a $1-3 w/free shipping (edit--earlier link was wrong) without card holder or "Gem 10" grade
on eBay
but to have a LeBron rookie regardless is nice.

Second, how nice of cards you want to get a young child depends on whether you look at the first set as an investment to protect carefully. It's not clear what condition the rest of the cards are in, and whether they are investment quality anyway. If you looked at cards like I did as a tyke, I didn't care that much about investment value as much as I wanted to TOUCH the cards, rifle through them, look at the stats, admire the design and colors, and just admire them in my hands, not in protective pages, so

Third: If you're buying relatively cheap cards like this (and admit it, 2-1/2 cents a card is pretty cheap no matter how you look at it: $19.99 + $5 shipping), you're not really worried if the 6 year old doesn't handle the cards really nicely (at least I wouldn't)--I just want them to enjoy it. I collected just about all of the cards listed here. I just gave some of these old cards to a teenager who got a kick out of seeing old cards, even if they weren't "mint", and some were stars.

If we find out the other cards they're selling tonight are in top shape, then maybe being a little more cautious is worth it. However, it's awfully tempting to get some as a gift for that teenager and/or for myself (because this does go back to my childhood years) because I probably won't worry about how carefully I take care of them (the cases, the binders, the worrying over caring for them, the gimmicky cards, etc.). I still like the feel of looking at cards in my hands, so once every few years, I'll just buy a pack to get the feel again. This offer would have been perfect for me growing up, but I'm not sure how today's kids are.

Hope this helps. Bye.

rfactor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rfactor
bpr2 wrote:Will a Michael Jordan baseball card be in this mix?

The Michael Jordan 1991 Upper Deck SP1 fetches a HANDSOME $15-25. I'll let go of mine for NO LESS than you're next BOC, 2 bent nails and a truffula seed. I have much more than that into it.

scarredwithstars

quality posts: 3 Private Messages scarredwithstars

I came here to laugh at this deal and talk about how any serious company knows exactly what cards they have and aren't about to just throw them all in a giant pile and sell them randomly off a 1000 at a time. And how the Lebron card obviously isn't that rare if they were able to gather enough to hand out one per order.

But then I decided, screw it. It's worth a shot. Hell, we do the same thing with the BOC, and the one I got this week came with a $100 pair of Callaway golf shoes in it.

Worst case scenario, I have another shoe box full of cards I can put away next to the one someone gave me when I was a little boy, so I can do the same someday.

scottman54

quality posts: 34 Private Messages scottman54

Yeah, a pre-assembled set of 1000 cards marketed as a kid's first set almost guarantees you won't get anything valuable. Not a bad price for so many cards and a nicely graded lebron card if you or your kid likes lebron and looking through random cards, but realize it is just a way for card shops to pawn off their junk cards in bulk. They basically open up a complete set, remove the valuables and dump the rest in here.

whatsamattaU

scottman54 wrote:Yeah, a pre-assembled set of 1000 cards marketed as a kid's first set almost guarantees you won't get anything valuable. Not a bad price for so many cards and a nicely graded lebron card if you or your kid likes lebron and looking through random cards, but realize it is just a way for card shops to pawn off their junk cards in bulk. They basically open up a complete set, remove the valuables and dump the rest in here.

Just popping back in. I agree this is typically how they get rid of "commons". Looking in the picture above, I'm guessing there will be a few stars, not with their most valuable cards, but still stars, like the Cal Ripken Jr. shown.

If one is expecting to make a great profit on this, realize why they're selling so many cards so cheaply. On the other hand, when they say that there are a "number" of stars and hall of famers, I'm going to guess it won't be 1 or 2 out of 1000+, but not likely 300 either. I'll be the optimist and figure they left enough "semi-valuable" cards to make it worthwhile (and no idea how they're packed in that box).

As I said above, if I buy this, it's for sentimental value to see stars and lesser players I have followed over decades (and how companies change their card style over the years), not for investment.

jimsinkorea

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jimsinkorea

Get yourself a pocket gram scale and weigh all the packs in a box of cards at your local department store, the few that weigh different are the ones with the inserts. I have found some great cards this way, this pack will only give you a box full of cards with no value.

pjt627

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pjt627
rfactor wrote:The Michael Jordan 1991 Upper Deck SP1 fetches a HANDSOME $15-25. I'll let go of mine for NO LESS than you're next BOC, 2 bent nails and a truffula seed. I have much more than that into it.

The Jordan card that you mention is on the world's #1 auction site for $1.95.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1991-UPPER-DECK-MICHAEL-JORDAN-BASEBALL-ROOKIE-SP1-CHICAGO-MINT-TAKE-A-L-K-/380635177780?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item589f9fe334

boomn4x4

quality posts: 13 Private Messages boomn4x4

When I was 10, my card collecting was supposed to be my early retirement. I've got 3 large Tupperware containers in my basement with probably 3 years of complete / near-complete sets of Upper Deck, Topps, and Donruss baseball cards, plus partial sets spanning another decade. Every time I opened up an appraisal guide, my eyeballs would change to dollar signs.

Now...All I have is a $500 investment taking up space that is probably worth about.... well, about $500. Not the best return on investment over 25 years.

Now, I avoid baseball cards like the plague... and am now focusing investment activities on Justin Bieber autographs.

With that said.... for the price, it would probably worth it to buy this set for your kid, give him an appraisal guide, and tell him to start digging. Then you can enjoy about 3 months of silence.

When what to my wondering eyes should appear, but a bucket of wings and a six pack of beer!

flash617

quality posts: 3 Private Messages flash617
bpr2 wrote:Will a Michael Jordan baseball card be in this mix?

It is not guarantied that a Michael Jordan baseball card will be in every box I am sure they are in some. it is guarantied that you will get a Lebron James rookie year card in a graded holder gem mint you will also get cards from the 70's, and stars and hall of famers in each box this message is from Supreme Marketing the company which makes the boxes

FauxReal

quality posts: 4 Private Messages FauxReal

All my old sports cards are pretty worthless as the market has changed a lot. Buy these for fun not as a potential investment.

Here's a good article on investing in baseball cards.

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2013/02/25/have-baseball-card-values-risen-in-20-years-actual.aspx

Coming on strong with some hardcore power...

StriderTB

quality posts: 2 Private Messages StriderTB
jimsinkorea wrote:Get yourself a pocket gram scale and weigh all the packs in a box of cards at your local department store, the few that weigh different are the ones with the inserts. I have found some great cards this way, this pack will only give you a box full of cards with no value.

Pack searchers are Lions, and Tigers, and Bears! Oh, my!. Don't be that guy.

kirkhilles

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kirkhilles

The reality is, once baseball cards started to lose their interest in combination with eBay showing the TRUE market price, baseball cards (in general) have become nearly worthless.

You've only got something worthwhile if you have a Graded/Certified (which costs $), mint condition, highly sought after card (ie: 60s and prior).

These are literally worthless. If you were to go into a baseball shop (that still exists), you could probably get 10,000 cards that they were willing to throw away.

Kirk Hilles
Reversed.net

pyromilkman

quality posts: 5 Private Messages pyromilkman
FauxReal wrote:All my old sports cards are pretty worthless as the market has changed a lot. Buy these for fun not as a potential investment.

Here's a good article on investing in baseball cards.

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2013/02/25/have-baseball-card-values-risen-in-20-years-actual.aspx

That article hits the nail on the head. Sports cards are really only worth anything if you get them professionally graded. When professional grading took over the collectible card landscape (mid-90s) is when I got out of the market. Now I'm stuck with boxes of sports themed drink coasters unless I pay to get professional grading.

mkentosh

quality posts: 310 Private Messages mkentosh

As a collector, all I can say is stay away from this. You'll get superstars, all stars, MVP's and other cards, but if your looking for MJ's rookie card or a 57 Mantle, or Nolan Ryan rookie, you're in the wrong department. You'll get a TON of commons and a few mid range stars. Don't fall for the PSA Sealed cards either.

gmartini

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gmartini

Must it all be about money? How about fun? How about spending some time with your kids learning a little about the history of the sports they love? How about laughing at the uniforms and hair styles from 30 years ago?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 584 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

gmartini wrote:Must it all be about money? How about fun? How about spending some time with your kids learning a little about the history of the sports they love? How about laughing at the uniforms and hair styles from 30 years ago?

^This!!

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

s0lesurvi0r

quality posts: 1 Private Messages s0lesurvi0r

Waiting for the Magic The Gathering collection to teach my nieces and nephews math, reading, and resource management.

greenfelderkl

quality posts: 5 Private Messages greenfelderkl
gmartini wrote:Must it all be about money? How about fun? How about spending some time with your kids learning a little about the history of the sports they love? How about laughing at the uniforms and hair styles from 30 years ago?

Well said. Was actually thinking of picking this up for my boy (age 4) to just have a little fun with. Sure, I'll blow $20, but we'll have hours of fun!

And at this price, who cares if he's the kid that rips the card in half accidentally? I'd rather "practice" card collecting with a set like this than some pricey cards from the shop.

I'm in.

lalian

quality posts: 9 Private Messages lalian

I think this collection is very overpriced. The only reason it might be worth $20 is if that LeBron rookie is profesionally graded by PSA or BGS. And it won't be - because that card goes for $30-$40.

The rest of the cards shown are from a horrible era when everything was overproduced. Cards from that era have little worth. There are cheaper ways to get 1000 cards. Probably the best way to introduce someone to card collecting would be to buy one of those blaster boxes from Target or Walmart. You get unopened, unsearched packs. Yeah, they are retail packs (the really good inserts are usually in hobby packs only), but at least your kid will get a taste of collecting and the thrill that comes opening a pack to see what you got.

What you'll get in this pack looks like garbage.

shuree

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shuree

Seems like the real value here,is educational so you can discuss players & stats with your kids. Plus, as mentioned, the old uniforms are worth a few bucks in laughs. I still remember finding my first Rollie Fingers card with the handlebar mustache.

flash617

mkentosh wrote:As a collector, all I can say is stay away from this. You'll get superstars, all stars, MVP's and other cards, but if your looking for MJ's rookie card or a 57 Mantle, or Nolan Ryan rookie, you're in the wrong department. You'll get a TON of commons and a few mid range stars. Don't fall for the PSA Sealed cards either.

you are 100 percent correct this package you will not find cards from the 50's and 60's although there are rookie cards and cards with value it is a fun kit to have fun an teach the kids about players from the 70's to present this message is left from the vendor

flash617

conanthelibrarian wrote:The inner 10 yo in me is saying BUY!BUY!BUY!!!!!!!!

you probably wont get the $1000.00 card but this kit you can have a lot of fun with and who knows what you will find this package you will not find cards from the 50's and 60's although there are rookie cards and cards with value it is a fun kit to have fun an teach the kids about players from the 70's to present this message is left from the vendor

whatsamattaU

flash617 wrote:you probably wont get the $1000.00 card but this kit you can have a lot of fun with and who knows what you will find this package you will not find cards from the 50's and 60's although there are rookie cards and cards with value it is a fun kit to have fun an teach the kids about players from the 70's to present this message is left from the vendor

If I didn't mention how much fun I had going through my old cards with that family friend a few months ago, that's why you may want to buy this (and I'm still debating). I know I could go to a card shop and look for basketball, football, and baseball card commons as suggested above, but this would be a lot easier, and as is the common theme, any investment value is a bonus and not expected. I certainly haven't taken care of most of my cards for investment purposes (i.e., not in sleeves, etc.), and time is worth money. My Kellogg's 1970's sets with the attempted 3D effect are interesting to look at now, for example (and the Score 3D cards later).

scarredwithstars

I love all the debate about whether or not something for sale on KIDS.WOOT for $20 is a worthy investment.

First of all, when has anything on woot ever been marketed as an investment? Second, it's on KIDS.woot for a reason. Forget the money. Would you and/or your kids get $20 worth of entertainment out of it? Then buy it. If not, your time is obviously worth more to you than others, in which case, why are you on the kids.woot forum?

omegaboris

quality posts: 0 Private Messages omegaboris

Would purchase if it had Hockey involved basketball definitely isn't my sport

Ignace

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Ignace

My beef with this cheese is that this isn't really what card collecting is all about.

Building a collection pack by pack and card by card is a process that involves time, effort, interest, study, dreaming, anticipation, patience, saving up your bills to get a few packs or order the desired cards, etc. It's almost a character-building process in that respect.

Dropping a box of 1000 cards (an instant 'collection') in front of a kid, whether it's just common junk or nicer, rarer cards, won't come near to matching the fun, experience, and personal meaning of building a set over time.

scarredwithstars

Ignace wrote:My beef with this cheese is that this isn't really what card collecting is all about.

Building a collection pack by pack and card by card is a process that involves time, effort, interest, study, dreaming, anticipation, patience, saving up your bills to get a few packs or order the desired cards, etc. It's almost a character-building process in that respect.

Dropping a box of 1000 cards (an instant 'collection') in front of a kid, whether it's just common junk or nicer, rarer cards, won't come near to matching the fun, experience, and personal meaning of building a set over time.

You gotta start somewhere, and I would imagine with a starter set like this, they get the fun of searching through a bunch of cards and finding players they like, that they would never get from packs today.

Also, I could see having a "starter kit" actually helping, in the fact that it creates something to build from. As opposed to buying them a couple packs, that probably won't have anything special to them. Which isn't likely to spark inspiration.

I got mine today, has a good mix of years/brands/etc. Includes sets of the the entire team for the 81 Dodgers and Giants. Which is cool enough for me. A Mike Scioscia card that will make my dad's day. Some cool minor league stuff. I only spent about 5 minutes going through the box while I waited for a file to download at work. And I'm already happy with what I've got. And I haven't even scratched the surface.

Well worth $20, just for the entertainment value alone.