Poll: Can your child swim?
  • 45.6% - Like a fish. 482
  • 16.4% - Like a rock. 173
  • 14.4% - I dunno. 152
  • 9.5% - We’ve never really tried. 100
  • 9.9% - We’re taking lessons now! 105
  • 4.2% - Other (comments, please) 44
1056 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

mdkopper

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mdkopper

Kid, fish.
Me rock.

olperfesser

quality posts: 2 Private Messages olperfesser

In South Florida, every child should be taught to swim. It may save their life.

hippie1981

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hippie1981

She swims better than a rock, but not as good as a fish. She took lessons for years, but still isn't allowed in the deep end at the local pool b/c she can't swim all the way across and back (their test). Basically, she's just not a strong swimmer. It took several years of lessons before she would even put her face in the water, so you see what i'm working with here.

I, on the other hand, swim like a fish.

glaicius

quality posts: 4 Private Messages glaicius

That is an astonishing # of kids that can't swim if you add the "like a rock" , "I dunno" and "Never really tried" If we take those numbers as accurate, that is over 30% of kids that can't swim or just don't know how.

Also, consider that 80% of earth population live on the coasts, that is a tons of kids at risk.

I was fortunate enough to live within 15 minutes from a beach. I was surfing at 7-8 years old.

Teach your kids to swim. You are putting them at risk and doing them at disservice by not doing it.

ladyloerya

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ladyloerya

Which kid? My 16 year old swims great and my 3 year old is just old enough this year to try some real skillful lessons. So I chose "We've never really tried" because she's just old enough.

Eltinwe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Eltinwe

One can swim like a fish... the other one is 4 years old and I have spent the last 6 months teaching to swim. She just made her first solo lap of the pool last week, doggie paddle style. Definitely not fish-like, but also not rock-like. Yet I DO know... and soon, she will be another little fish.

MichXelle

quality posts: 38 Private Messages MichXelle
glaicius wrote:That is an astonishing # of kids that can't swim if you add the "like a rock" , "I dunno" and "Never really tried" If we take those numbers as accurate, that is over 30% of kids that can't swim or just don't know how.

Also, consider that 80% of earth population live on the coasts, that is a tons of kids at risk.

I was fortunate enough to live within 15 minutes from a beach. I was surfing at 7-8 years old.

Teach your kids to swim. You are putting them at risk and doing them at disservice by not doing it.

You're right. If not for safety it's the best exercise.

I swam distance events in college and still swim daily. I love it and most children do if you begin young enough and don't frighten them.

TOO MANY DROWN due to Moms and Pops ignorance about getting the kids lessons beginning at age 2.

OVER 550 W00T CARTFULS as of 06/25/14. You're killing us with some wonderful items W000T!

OVER 8 years on W00T shopping and The W00T Forum, since 02/06 with now a whopping 34 Quality Posts L-M-A-O! We do post quality information as do others that isn't recognized. Thanks for the 3 in 1 entire week! We're humbled. 3 additional noticed in 3 months. No more positive posts as our are not noticed.

adriennel1981

quality posts: 0 Private Messages adriennel1981

DD12 can swim well enough that it's not a safety issue but isn't that interested in it. DS (13 months) seems to love water so far but we'll see for sure when he gets a little bigger!

BonnieMoffett

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BonnieMoffett
glaicius wrote:That is an astonishing # of kids that can't swim if you add the "like a rock" , "I dunno" and "Never really tried" If we take those numbers as accurate, that is over 30% of kids that can't swim or just don't know how.

The statistics of a woot poll extrapolated to the world population is what they call 'crazy science'. If you grow up in a city, and often even near the ocean, swimming can seem like a foreign project. Unless you surf, ocean swimming is mostly standing while waves crash on you.
People that live near lakes and rivers have a lot more reason to swim. In my town, I would say the percentage of swimmers is closer to 90%, because we have a lovely lake nearby with lots of swimming fishing etc.