Staff

Poll: Unsupervised swimming:
  • 69.4% - Nope. Nope, nope, nope. 948
  • 6.5% - As long as there are some strong swimmers there, it’s okay. 89
  • 12.4% - As long as there’s an adult somewhere in earshot, it’s okay. 170
  • 10.7% - Eh, kids are tough. Not my problem. 146
  • 1% - I have a more complex answer that I’ll put in the comments. 13
1366 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

ardubu

quality posts: 8 Private Messages ardubu

Add a Baby Ruth...

Ah, the hell with it.

jeffcazier

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jeffcazier

It's probably OK, as long as they have a floatation device on that holds them 6 feet out of the water at all times! ;^)

benesk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages benesk

Well, if they've been taught to swim and actually know how to, I don't see a problem. but before then... yeah... only swim with an adult in arms reach.

Boxymoron

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Boxymoron

There are plenty of circumstances with this one, but for a pool setting, yeah, would rather have an adult, at the very least, nearby, within earshot and not being bothered by something like loud music.

kelovich

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kelovich

Depends on the age of the kids. My kid is 3. No matter how strong of a swimmer she is, until she is older she will NOT be swimming alone.

charliecarroll

quality posts: 105 Private Messages charliecarroll

Of course there should be an adult right there. How else could you enjoy watching them escape from the bag?

deadeye37

quality posts: 3 Private Messages deadeye37

When they're teenagers, no problem. When they're 8-12, they don't need to be watch very much as long as they're decent swimmers or can yell good. 7 and younger needs closer supervision.

daynajm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages daynajm

One panicked swimmer can drown several other people before you even know what happened. I was a lifeguard and swim instructor for 16 years. I was very lucky only to have had to do three rescues and one of them tried to take me down too. It was a child and thanks to my training we both survived.

No one should ever ever ever swim by themselves. Kids or adults.