0%
0%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

davesdiagnostics

quality posts: 1 Private Messages davesdiagnostics

I have one of these, and it's honestly one of the coolest tools I've ever had. This is a great price, too. Holla!

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3135 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Lots of good reviews (4.3 out of 5.0) over at amazon

crossedcrowns

quality posts: 3 Private Messages crossedcrowns

I sure wish I had had this when my kids were little. Really, really, with some excuse-my-French for emphasis.
I might just buy some for the current crop of pipsqueaks.

Qwerty283

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Qwerty283

I have 3 kids, there is a bit of a learning curve, but it is worth it. My 1 daughter never admits to being sick and I use this to judge if I should take her to the dr. (Her ear drum has ruptured twice and she never complained about it hurting.) Personally I think it is better for kids over 12 months, but perhaps your baby will hold still better than mine.

dancer8504

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dancer8504

I paid $17.xx at Walmart.

davesdiagnostics

quality posts: 1 Private Messages davesdiagnostics
dancer8504 wrote:I paid $17.xx at Walmart.

I've never seen one for less than $25.

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 152 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

Link or it never happened!

dancer8504

ROGETRAY wrote:Link or it never happened!

Tell me how to link in store and I'll do it.

lstaff

quality posts: 199 Private Messages lstaff

This is also VERY useful for illuminating and magnifying the skin for help with a sliver, or even to peek into the nose if you think your child has shoved something up there.

Trust me.

HeadacheSlayer

quality posts: 5 Private Messages HeadacheSlayer

I got mine from Amazon for a bit more--my kids are 18 & 11....This is great for anyone in your home. I am thoroughly happy with this purchase--so if you're on the fence, GET THIS WOOT!!!

Seriously I diagnosed my son's ear infection better than the doc at a clinic (my son has "silent infections" no pain whatsoever anywhere, just muffled hearing).

GREAT product--I wish it had a case, but I"m just going to put it in a small makeup bag.

Two great big thumbs up!!

MichXelle

quality posts: 37 Private Messages MichXelle
dancer8504 wrote:Tell me how to link in store and I'll do it.

Post the advertisement if you just bought it. You have another non believer here, sorry bout that.

OVER 550 W00T CARTFULS as of 06/25/14. You're killing us with some wonderful items W000T!

OVER 8 years on W00T shopping and The W00T Forum, since 02/06 with now a whopping 34 Quality Posts L-M-A-O! We do post quality information as do others that isn't recognized. Thanks for the 3 in 1 entire week! We're humbled. 3 additional noticed in 3 months. No more positive posts as our are not noticed.

ROGETRAY

Staff

bige2533 wrote:http://slickdeals.net/f/5516924-Doctor-Mom-LED-Otoscope-17-83-Store-PU-Walmart

EDIT: It appears it was offered at that price at one time, however is no longer available.

dancer8504

I bought mine in store. I was just trying to save someone a couple dollars since that's why we all come to woot. I guess I'll keep it to myself next time.

kkhanmd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kkhanmd

Anyone knows if this is the original version or which generation otoscope is this?

[MOD: This is the 3rd version]

kuma99

quality posts: 9 Private Messages kuma99

I...otto get one of these.

badhabit12

quality posts: 14 Private Messages badhabit12
dancer8504 wrote:I bought mine in store. I was just trying to save someone a couple dollars since that's why we all come to woot. I guess I'll keep it to myself next time.

Its the few who ruin it for the rest of us. But Its a suggested guideline that I agree makes good sense. Otherwise you would have the HATERS who would spam this sight blind with false statements on products. Sorry if it seemed to step on your fingers when you only had good intentions.

ROGETRAY

Staff

dancer8504 wrote:I bought mine in store. I was just trying to save someone a couple dollars since that's why we all come to woot. I guess I'll keep it to myself next time.

I'm sorry if you took any offense.
Like badhabit12 said above, we usually require links/URLS to price comps so we evaluate their legitimacy.

Thanks for the suggestion earlier though, it's helpful to find previous price comparisons and offers. :D

sharond95

quality posts: 2 Private Messages sharond95

Right now on Amazon, it's $0.07 cheaper (Prime eligible) after you pay the $5 shipping here.

http://www.amazon.com/Original-Doctor-Mom-Otoscope-otoscopes/dp/B000ITD3RA

I will still get it here because there's SO MANY other cool things on Woot! I needed one YESTERDAY when my son was bawling about his ear hurting. Poor kid! Luckily I had some eardrops already!

[MOD: Different Model]

amylori

quality posts: 0 Private Messages amylori
sharond95 wrote:Right now on Amazon, it's $0.07 cheaper (Prime eligible) after you pay the $5 shipping here.

http://www.amazon.com/Original-Doctor-Mom-Otoscope-otoscopes/dp/B000ITD3RA/ref=sr_1_4?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1365492658&sr=1-4&keywords=otoscope

I will still get it here because there's SO MANY other cool things on Woot! I needed one YESTERDAY when my son was bawling about his ear hurting. Poor kid! Luckily I had some eardrops already!

I saw that too but I don't think it is an LED one like woot has. I could be wrong and you totally want LED.

polysorbate

quality posts: 7 Private Messages polysorbate

At first sight, I thought, "Hmm, what a nice endoscope."

satyenshah

quality posts: 8 Private Messages satyenshah

The last time the baby had an ear infection, the pediatrician looked in his ear, said "It looks red", scribbled out an antibiotic prescription, and billed $211.00 for the 4 minute visit.

clintone

quality posts: 12 Private Messages clintone

I don't want to be a buzzkill about this, but an otoscope is a diagnostic tool which requires some degree of training and knowledge. What you can observe is far more varied and subjective than something like a thermometer. What a layperson might see and interpret may be far different from what a trained medical person might. Furthermore, unless you know what you're doing, you can run the risk of damage-potentially forcing wax further into the canal, injuring the eardrum, etc. No, it's certainly not rocket science, but it's also not simply being able to look in the ear and make a determination as to whether there's a medical issue or not. If a kid's complaining of ear pain, I'd be inclined to take them to the doctor regardless of whether I had an otoscope or not.

codman915

quality posts: 0 Private Messages codman915

Terrible idea. Ear exams are notoriously difficult to interpret. Even the senior most pediatric residents have difficulty. And yes I'm a physician.

w3kn

quality posts: 8 Private Messages w3kn

Too bad I can't use this to diagnose my own ear infections.

And before any of you tell me to go see a doctor, I see an ENT on a regular basis.

79 woots and counting!

chrosan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chrosan

Complete the Training and you too can charge 200 bucks for an exam.

Honestly, my curiosity and my wallet want this. I Have two young kids that compete for attention. This would at least eliminate some of the false alarm doctor's visits. I'm down for one.

Oh, and the first part was a joke. Don't charge anyone.

aldebaraan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aldebaraan

This has been an invaluable tool in our house. Some of my kids don't have pain with ear infections, but lose hearing, etc. Using this, I have been able to fairly accurately diagnose ear infections so I can take them to the doctor more quickly.

By the way, the company's site has pictures to help you learn what normal vs infected look like: http://www.drmomotoscope.com/pictures.htm

I also think this picture is pretty representative:

The key here is that a normal ear drum will have a somewhat translucent or "tan" color. An infected ear drum will be more white, with red tissue surrounding.

jacylrin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jacylrin

I don't have a link (since they don't have it on their website) and I don't have a photo (since I'm at work), but I've also gotten them from Walmart for $17 or so. Yes, you have to make a judgement call when you're looking in there and be careful, but I've found it useful at least for the "nope, not pink and nothing murky behind the eardrum, it's just a cold" when my kid spikes a fever, saving myself a copay when it's just a virus. Also good for the "holy crap, that's not the color your eardrum should be/your eardrum is about to rupture, let's not wait this out." Since my kid is prone to ear infections but doesn't usually say anything about her ear hurting, it's useful. And yes, the one I got at Walmart is LED.

jwvess00

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jwvess00

I bought one of these (an older generation, probably, but still with an LED) a while back from Amazon. I don't use it often, but it does work and I'd buy it again -- and definitely at this price.

The instructions tell you to get familiar with how things look when your kid's healthy so you at least know if something has changed.

jvspencer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jvspencer

Since we are on the subject, Regarding middle ear infections:

The treatment is usually NOT antibiotics. Seems that 90% of the time antibiotics are not needed.

overview

treatment

And if you want to prevent otitis media consider this.

If you use this device get to know what normal looks like. The ear canal points forward a little so when you look in, lift up the ear a little and direct the view forward. Keep in mind, you only have one eye so depth perception is gone. Done right otoscopy is not painful but does tickle.

ctviggen

quality posts: 6 Private Messages ctviggen
clintone wrote:I don't want to be a buzzkill about this, but an otoscope is a diagnostic tool which requires some degree of training and knowledge. What you can observe is far more varied and subjective than something like a thermometer. What a layperson might see and interpret may be far different from what a trained medical person might. Furthermore, unless you know what you're doing, you can run the risk of damage-potentially forcing wax further into the canal, injuring the eardrum, etc. No, it's certainly not rocket science, but it's also not simply being able to look in the ear and make a determination as to whether there's a medical issue or not. If a kid's complaining of ear pain, I'd be inclined to take them to the doctor regardless of whether I had an otoscope or not.

Mu daughter never complains of ear pain and has few to no symptoms. For instance, we took her for her 2 year checkup and the doctor told us she had an ear infection. We were incredulous. For this reason alone, I'm considering buying this.

Furthermore, the antibiotics they prescribe for her cause her to lose sleep and become incredibly aggressive -- after a few days on antibiotics, she can't sleep and kicks and screams, something she doesn't do as soon as you stop giving her antibiotics. I'd be interested to use this device to see if a homeopathic medicine would work.

kenu222

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kenu222

Which amazon model is this? There seem to be several. Just wondering how much of a deal it really is?

mac0112358

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mac0112358
kenu222 wrote:Which amazon model is this? There seem to be several. Just wondering how much of a deal it really is?

I think this is the one:
http://www.amazon.com/Generation-Slimline-Stainless-Otoscope-Spectrum/dp/B000J1FT4W/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1365512231&sr=1-1&keywords=dr+mom+otoscope+led

for those disinclined to click through: $26.92 w/ free shipping.

dallaspeach

quality posts: 20 Private Messages dallaspeach

Buyer here... yes this is the new 3rd gen slimline LED.

http://www.amazon.com/Generation-Slimline-Stainless-Otoscope-Spectrum/dp/B000J1FT4W

mac0112358 wrote:I think this is the one:
http://www.amazon.com/Generation-Slimline-Stainless-Otoscope-Spectrum/dp/B000J1FT4W/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1365512231&sr=1-1&keywords=dr+mom+otoscope+led

for those disinclined to click through: $26.92 w/ free shipping.

viidim7

quality posts: 3 Private Messages viidim7

I have this and it is one of the best mom tools I ever bought.

erinnstreeter

quality posts: 6 Private Messages erinnstreeter
jvspencer wrote:And if you want to prevent otitis media consider this.

Oh boy. Let the flame war commence. Let's see how long it takes for Godwin's Law to take place.

Also: Amen.

chipgreen

quality posts: 178 Private Messages chipgreen

It's sad to see people bickering over a few dollars difference in price. I used to laugh at people who said they found something cheaper somewhere else because I knew full well that everything sold on woot was a good 50% less expensive than anywhere else. Now it's just a clearance store for Amazon where instead of one deal a day there are literally dozens and instead of saving 50% or more you're saving.... a couple bucks. Maybe.

codman915

quality posts: 0 Private Messages codman915

Wondering how many bloodied ear canals and perforated tms were gonna see from untrained people looking into the ears of a squirming toddler. Again. Poor idea

codyormoe

quality posts: 2 Private Messages codyormoe

Does anyone how this would work on someone with odd shaped ear canals? One of my kids has a major problem with ear wax build up because of his very odd shaped canals, it's seriously disgusting. It would be nice to be able to see when it's time to break out the Debrox and get to it before it gets to the making me want to puke stage.