WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: In your town, do they call it middle school or junior high?
  • 65.3% - Middle school 710
  • 21.2% - Jr. High 230
  • 13.5% - It’s not as simple as one or the other. There is a very complex difference between the two, and it insults me that you would compare them as the same. 147
1087 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

mikebumpus

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mikebumpus

Actually the answer is it kind of depends. For example in one area school system I think there is Middle School (grades 5-6) and Junior High (grades 7-8)

jbertram

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jbertram

A junior high functions like a younger version of high school--each class is separate from anything else and the teachers can teach all grades in the school. A middle school is more of a hybrid between elementary and high school, with a set of teachers dedicated to one grade, and those teachers meet periodically to discuss the progress of their collective students, jr. high teachers are an independent island who do not confer with their peers in a regular, organized way about their shared students.

roni24

quality posts: 0 Private Messages roni24

It depends on the school. The school I went to was Junior High.

roni24

quality posts: 0 Private Messages roni24
jbertram wrote:A junior high functions like a younger version of high school--each class is separate from anything else and the teachers can teach all grades in the school. A middle school is more of a hybrid between elementary and high school, with a set of teachers dedicated to one grade, and those teachers meet periodically to discuss the progress of their collective students, jr. high teachers are an independent island who do not confer with their peers in a regular, organized way about their shared students.

Exactly that's why I'm glad I went to Jr. High instead of a middle school. I was way more prepared for what was coming. I just wish high school had some way to prep more for college.

nikademus1969

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nikademus1969

About 15-20 years ago, our local school system decided to change our junior high to a middle school. Other than moving the 9th graders to the senior high school (which is now just the high school), I'm not sure they changed things all that much.

mellowknees

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mellowknees

When I was in school, it was junior high, which covered grades 7-9. High school was 10-12.

A few years ago, the districts converted to middle schools and now cover 6-8, I believe and high schools are 9-12 now.

So, I think the naming convention depends upon the grades covered by the school.

philosopherott

quality posts: 3 Private Messages philosopherott

When i was their 7-8 was in it's own building and called intermediate school.

ChronoSquall14

quality posts: 39 Private Messages ChronoSquall14

Grades 6-8 was Junior High for me, but we always used the terms interchangeably.

olperfesser

quality posts: 2 Private Messages olperfesser

When I lived in Rochester, N.Y., the schools were K-7 and 8-12. No Middle or Jr. High. I don't know if they are still that way.

SumDuud

quality posts: 21 Private Messages SumDuud

I grew up in Southern California and it was Junior High (grades 6-8). I moved to Northern Kentucky in high school and they called it middle school, but it was no different than junior high school I had gone to. But out here freeways are expressways, tracts are subdivisions, and coke or pepsi is pop. And these naming conventions fall to the Kentucky, Ohio, Indiana region as a whole.

Let's see the quality impulse buys!
Wooter to blame for sellout: SumDuud
Sellout time: 8:11:25 AM Central Time

lavakris

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lavakris

In Delaware it was middle school (4-6), junior high (7-8) and then high school.

dymongoose

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dymongoose

Jr. high was dropped in my hometown when they built the middle school. I would have been in the first class to "graduate" from the middle school, had I not been home schooled. (And as such, I just called it "school".)

phoenixgirrl

quality posts: 1 Private Messages phoenixgirrl
mikebumpus wrote:Actually the answer is it kind of depends. For example in one area school system I think there is Middle School (grades 5-6) and Junior High (grades 7-8)

Our town has an "upper elementary" for grades 4-6, and the middle school is 7-8. When I went to the middle school (er, it's now the upper elementary school, the high school I went to is now the middle school) it was grades 6-8.

WaltAmante

quality posts: 0 Private Messages WaltAmante

It has changed over the years, but it was

K-6 Elementary
7-8 Jr High (the puberty years)
9-12 Sr High

Now:

K-5 Elementary
6-8 Middle School (the puberty years)
9-12 High School

I think that some of the differentiation was due to the fact that years ago, required schooling ended with 8th. 9th grade and up was "optional", and only attended by those who didn't need to work full time to help support their family.

roadlizard7

quality posts: 1 Private Messages roadlizard7

[quote postid="5401593" user="mellowknees"]When I was in school, it was junior high, which covered grades 7-9. High school was 10-12.

A few years ago, the districts converted to middle schools and now cover 6-8, I believe and high schools are 9-12 now.

It's the same way where I grew up.

videoworks

quality posts: 1 Private Messages videoworks
philosopherott wrote:When i was their 7-8 was in it's own building and called intermediate school.

Me too.

natalieug

quality posts: 11 Private Messages natalieug

Here:
Elem = Pre-K through 5th
Middle School = 6th through 8th
High School = 9th through 12th

6th used to be part of Elem but the school districts bumped them out to make room for Pre-K (AKA government funded daycare).

k4th3r1n3

quality posts: 17 Private Messages k4th3r1n3

I'm in Louisiana, I went to both middle school and junior high. Middle was 4-6 and junior high was 7-8. I always thought that was normal but I recently found out otherwise. I think the reason why they do this around here is because schools are overcrowded but instead of building a larger school they're using two older schools and separating the grades.