WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Do you let your kids pick out their own clothes?
  • 23.6% - No way. They’d look ridiculous. 179
  • 48% - Of course. I want them to express themselves. 364
  • 28.4% - Sometimes. I’ll tell you about it in the comments. 215
758 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

sillysgood

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sillysgood

my kid is almost eight.
I am not up for the battle over her choice of attire. as long as it's modest, and she's aware of the weather forecast...

gholt121

quality posts: 3 Private Messages gholt121

If they're going out to get dirty or just mess around in the neighborhood, sure. Going to church or anywhere where proper attire is desired, NOPE.

Proud Woot!er since 2005.

bassonmommy12

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bassonmommy12

I am with them when we shop. I have input on what they purchase, so in that sense, I have a say in what they wear. I do often have to pick out something and throw it at their head to wake them in the morning.

peasea302

quality posts: 0 Private Messages peasea302

Mine are 3 and 5, so I let them pick out their clothes. I'll start the clothing battle later on.

I have no idea what I'm doing.

lboban

quality posts: 12 Private Messages lboban

I surrendered the clothing battle early. My daughter started demanding her own choices in clothing around age 3. Fortunately, while her taste was not the same as mine, it is not egregious. It left me the energy to fight about things that mattered more.

mrsque

quality posts: 5 Private Messages mrsque

my kids are 18, 15, and 11.5. the boys, I don't worry too much about as long as their "attire" includes a belt, clean underwear and socks, and matching shoes. the 18yo girl, I have to keep an eye on. if it's tight, short, or see-thru, she seems to think she's supposed to wear it out the house. she's been working pt since she was 16 and buying most of her own clothes..I buy (bought?) school uniforms and church clothes, socks and underwear...so monitoring her has become increasingly difficult as she buys things I often have no clue about until she tries to wear it out the house. I do try to inspect her purchases when I know she's been out shopping but she just turned 18 last week so I'm not sure how much longer that'll last. she's a pretty good girl. smart and sweet. I think she'll be okay dressing herself...until she gets to college in the fall.

*I* have FIVE Quality Posts! no, seriously...how did that happen?!

mvsanchez

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mvsanchez

I don't pick out my daughter's clothes, she's 12. My son is 4 and I usually let him pick out the shirt and I pick out the right pants/shorts for it.

SumDuud

quality posts: 22 Private Messages SumDuud

my wife will layout my kid's clothes (2, 4, 9) but I always let the 4 and 9 year old pick for themselves. Leads to some very interesting outfits, mainly with the 4 year old, but its fun.

Let's see the quality impulse buys!
Wooter to blame for sellout: SumDuud
Sellout time: 8:11:25 AM Central Time

Contrarian by nature.

larntz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages larntz

I've always wanted to, but they little to no interest in it.

alyssal316

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alyssal316

If my 9 month old could choose and talk I'm sure she would just choose to be naked all the time. She just mastered the art of ripping off her diaper and tries to escape each time she needs a change.

prttymf8

quality posts: 25 Private Messages prttymf8

My daughter is 2. We let her pick out her socks and pajamas.

prettyhelmet

quality posts: 0 Private Messages prettyhelmet

I have a 4 year old. Some days she wants to wear a swimsuit. When it is 30 degrees outside.

As long as the outfit she chooses won't have CPS calling me for child neglect, I let her wear what she wants.

natalieug

quality posts: 11 Private Messages natalieug

Once they could always pick what we felt was appropriate we let them do it themselves. But even with them at 11 and 9 we retain parental veto privileges over all clothing.

HomerTime

quality posts: 1 Private Messages HomerTime

Up until now, I have been pretty obliging, but I have to admit that if one of them wanted to wear something really stupid looking I probably would step in.