12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

lichme

quality posts: 3194 Private Messages lichme

5 Star Reviews and a video over at amazon

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com
Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat | Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

Warning: Too much awesome to be contained in such a small space

Ninkumpoop

quality posts: 27 Private Messages Ninkumpoop

This is one solid (wood) deal.

Plenty big to make forts for army men, hotwheels cars, and small stuffed animals. My almost 5 year-old doesn't get as much use out of them as he did, but it was a worthy 2-year toy.

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3920 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Near perfect reviews (4.9 out of 5.0) over at toysrus.com

conanthelibrarian

Lets read some comments from fellow Wooters about this back when they were offered in September.

conanthelibrarian

The shoppers at melissaanddoug.com deem these "perfect"

triciajoy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages triciajoy

We have had this set (purchased from amazon) for about 3 years now.
Total truth: My husband and I play with it more than my kids (almost 5, and 16 months old) do.
That being said, they have survived many years of adults building things and kids destroying them. They are very sturdy. I love that they come in a crate to keep them in. (Though confess it irks me in an OCD way that they don't fit in perfectly square. There's a little room leftover.)
It weighs a ton to carry around, though so keep that in mind. Your kids are not going to be able to drag the whole thing around by themselves.

As for sizing- we put away the smallest 4 blocks as a choking hazard for our babies, but the other 56 pieces are fine even for a baby.

anneendicott

quality posts: 0 Private Messages anneendicott

My brother (three years younger) got a set of those more than 50 years ago, identical to this, but with a different box. All three of us played with those for years and years. We built roads, we built buildings, we built towers for the baby to knock down when he was little, we raced (manually) Hot Wheels-type cars on those roads we built ... That set of blocks was one of the best toys we ever had. If I had a set now, in my sixties, this old lady would STILL play with them. I can think of several things I would build. And when we were done with them, my mother passed them on to someone else who had little kids. They are nearly indestructible, and they stretch the imagination.

etcetera00

quality posts: 2 Private Messages etcetera00

We now have two sets, and two boys 3 and 1. These blocks get continual use, from the little one banging them and learning to stack to our older child building elaborate castles and forts. The crate is often featured in our creations as a platform or a secret room...and is strong enough for the kids to stand on, not that I would recommend it, I just have climbers. They are worth every penny!!

hinkbot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hinkbot

are these made out of 2x4s? Any idea how long the largest piece is? Hard to gauge the scale from the photos.

srhmr

quality posts: 2 Private Messages srhmr
hinkbot wrote:are these made out of 2x4s? Any idea how long the largest piece is? Hard to gauge the scale from the photos.

They're the standard unit block size, exactly the same dimensions as the blocks sold by Plan Toys.

The rectangular one is 5.5" long, 2.75" wide, 1.375" deep. It's very substantial.

Source: home with sick kids today.

daveinwarshington

quality posts: 31 Private Messages daveinwarshington

I just can't find where to put the batteries!
I thought all toys took 4 AAA, 6 AA and 2 9v batteries!

pmdoyle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pmdoyle

Used to love Melissa and Doug. It is all made in China now.

jimmyd103

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jimmyd103

I picked these up for my 3.5 year old daughter last Christmas. I can't remember any of the other toys we gave her that year, but these blocks still get alot of use. They are worth every penny!

firetomysoul

quality posts: 0 Private Messages firetomysoul

I remember these blocks from when I was 3. They have been around for a very long time.

andrewtl

quality posts: 22 Private Messages andrewtl

I have this set. My kids enjoy it. The main weakness is that there are not a lot of long pieces- If I recall correctly there are only 2. This is unlike the block set of my youth which came with 4 long thin pieces for building rooftops and 4 4x1 pieces which were good for foundations. Instead there are a lot of smaller pieces, which is less useful if you are interested in building things like tunnels, marble runs, etc. That said, the blocks feel pretty solid, especially when thrown by my 5 year olds.

pfffft!

bevbug72

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bevbug72

I'm lost!!! Does anyone have a map for putting these blocks back in their box?

Ninkumpoop

quality posts: 27 Private Messages Ninkumpoop
bevbug72 wrote:I'm lost!!! Does anyone have a map for putting these blocks back in their box?

Don't worry about it. You'll figure it out.

Ophelia

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Ophelia
bevbug72 wrote:I'm lost!!! Does anyone have a map for putting these blocks back in their box?

It's actually easy. Everything is "unit" sized, so pretty much they'll fit back in the box in any configuration. That part makes the organization part of my brain happy.

olwoods99

quality posts: 0 Private Messages olwoods99
pmdoyle wrote:Used to love Melissa and Doug. It is all made in China now.

Regardless of where they are made, These are quality blocks. I'm a woodworker and I couldn't make the blocks as well for anything near the bargain price here.