WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Guys! Have you heard about the new toddler diet craze that's sweeping the nation? It's the Milk Fast! It's really easy to do. If you're a toddler, you simply refuse all solid foods, including your normally most favorite foods like banana and those gross little sausages in the jar, and only drink milk (and sometimes water).

Oh wait. That's just my kid? Huh. Perhaps he decided to give up eating for Lent, unbeknownst to me. Either way, I've been a very worried momma. I keep telling myself that if he was hungry, he would eat. But then that guilty feeling that I'm somehow starving my child creeps in, even though I've offered him everything under the sun.

Does this ever happen to you? What do you do, if anything, to encourage your child to eat?

fmfbrestel

quality posts: 3 Private Messages fmfbrestel

As evidenced by the dearth of comments on your post, I would wager a guess that your kid is just weird and no one else has this problem. At least I hope that's the case because my first is only 8 months old right now and eats just about whatever we put in front of him. I hadn't even contemplated a hunger strike type scenario before just now -- thanks for that by the way, not like I don't already worry about everything.

marina1013

quality posts: 0 Private Messages marina1013

My 15 month old does that occasionally. Toddlers generally will not starve themselves, and they will start eating again. Is he teething? Mine's getting his molars now. I find he'll eat the pouch purees & yogurt at times. My ped also recommended adding a little Carnation Instant Breakfast to his milk to help get calories. If it goes on for a while, please talk to your ped.

Mancho

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Mancho

All three of mine did this at one point or another. They eventually got hungry and started eating again. Not a big deal. If yours won't eat anything for a couple days, though, they may be constipated.

Gatzby

quality posts: 43 Private Messages Gatzby

As evidenced by the dearth of comments on your post, I would wager that your toddler is probably being influenced by an internal alien parasite. A sudden shift in dietary needs and resistance to his typical favorites clearly indicates the parasite is slowing trying to establish a resistance to human bacteria.

Keep him away from birds, just in case.

Did you know shirt.woot ships internationally? Get you some!
Why do my posts always get deleted? -- Noise Reduction -- Try it in podcast format.
No, you can't have our iPod, keys, or Lego. Sorry.

amynance

quality posts: 6 Private Messages amynance

Staff

fmfbrestel wrote:-- thanks for that by the way.

You are SO very welcome!!!

amynance

Staff

Gatzby wrote:As evidenced by the dearth of comments on your post, I would wager that your toddler is probably being influenced by an internal alien parasite. A sudden shift in dietary needs and resistance to his typical favorites clearly indicates the parasite is slowing trying to establish a resistance to human bacteria.

Keep him away from birds, just in case.

Oh no! I haven't experienced this yet, but my kid is only 17 months old. There's still time. Can't wait!

amynance

Staff

marina1013 wrote:My 15 month old does that occasionally. Toddlers generally will not starve themselves, and they will start eating again. Is he teething? Mine's getting his molars now. I find he'll eat the pouch purees & yogurt at times. My ped also recommended adding a little Carnation Instant Breakfast to his milk to help get calories. If it goes on for a while, please talk to your ped.

He IS teething, actually. I'm sure that has something to do with it. Also, he has had a cold and been a little stuffy. When he was a baby and started refusing his bottles, the ped told me he had to decide between eating or breathing, so he chose breathing. :/

anthonyhiga

quality posts: 1 Private Messages anthonyhiga

Yes, it happened to my toddler son too. He went through a period of refusing to eat even though it's his favorite food. Short period, few days. At least he drank his formula so we were not worried.

jrynd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jrynd

If you've got the sense something is wrong, talk to your pediatrician. There are several reasons my kids haven't eaten, from the likeliest and least scary to the unlikeliest and most scary:
- teething
- canker sore
- constipation
- nasal congestion
- lack of sleep
- gastrointestinal infection
- migraine headache
- a choking incident
- severe acid reflux making it painful to swallow
- oral aversion from one of the previous

ziekk

quality posts: 7 Private Messages ziekk

As long as it doesn't go on for more than a few days, a glass of Pedialyte and a multivitamin should keep him from any real adverse effects. It's probably related to teething, the cold milk feels good on his gums and he also doesn't have to hurt himself by chewing to feel full.

If his sleep is also disrupted it might be an ear infection, sometimes chewing and swallowing can hurt with one of those too. If it lasts more than 3 or 4 days I'd take him for a checkup to make sure.

muppetsr4me

quality posts: 0 Private Messages muppetsr4me

I hope by now he's started eating. but to add to the list of possible health reasons for not eating. we just encountered strep throat for the first time.