WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

I do my best not to pass judgment on anyone, especially other parents because I know how physically and emotionally taxing it can be at times. That being said, I am human, and when I see things like this story of a mother who left her sleeping infant inside the car while she shopped, I find myself saying, "What the heck was she thinking?" I'm the kind of person who won't even leave my dog tied up outside while I'm in a store or a restaurant.

Don't get me wrong. I've been tempted to do the same. I just need a loaf of bread, after all. It'll only take two minutes. I'll be in and out. But then there's that little nagging voice in the back of my head that says, "What if the car blows up? What if you forget to put it in park and it rolls away? What if someone steals it? What if someone smashes the window and kidnaps your baby?" These are the improbable but not impossible scenarios that keep me from doing it. Because, just, WHAT IF?

So what do you think. Am I overreacting? Was it really that big a deal?

lstaff

quality posts: 203 Private Messages lstaff

Fyi, that child is not properly restrained in that carseat.

nzlatanova

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nzlatanova

The mother needs to be charged with neglecting a child and placing the baby in harm's way. Obviously she doesn't care if somebody kidnaps the baby.

CyborgBill

quality posts: 1 Private Messages CyborgBill

I find myself saying, "What the heck was she thinking?

That's the problem. She clearly wasn't. Texas gives you 5 minutes. After that you are committing a mid level misdemeanor punishable by a hefty fine, up to six months in county lockup or both.

I worked security for a few years and walked post at strip malls more than once. If I saw an unattended child below 9 in a vehicle, I started a timer on my wristwatch. At the 5 minute mark I called 911. Most got off with a warning but a couple gave the officers lip. They got a trip downtown and if they weren't married the child went to CPS.

As a Father, Grandfather and Great-grandfather I have ABSOLUTELY NO patience with such people. NONE!!!!!

hayesjc

quality posts: 3 Private Messages hayesjc

Too many things can go wrong, even in seconds, to make that quick trip inside safe.
It's only a few months of babyhood, then you can't get out of the car without them screaming "Me too! Me go too!"

bifaerie79

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bifaerie79

SO not overreacting! I took my baby in EVERY time. I would never leave anyone that's not big enough to defend themselves alone in a car. Ever. People that leave their kids alone in a car suck big time. Poor kids. Sheesh!

sandinez

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sandinez

I completely agree. Every time I hear about a car being stolen and a child was in the back in his or her car seat, I wonder, "would they leave their wallet in the car?, 'no,' so why would they leave their baby in the car?" I just don't get it.

cahodge313

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cahodge313

I am the mother of two boys that were born close to each other. My hands have always been full. I have learned to do things the way that works for my boys and me. Not once have I ever left my boys in the car. There is a moment of becoming a parent where selfish thinking is gone and now you have to be selfless. Where I live babies and kids being left in cars and daycare buses happens all to much. And it gets hot here during the summer. Would you want to die like that? Some people don't need to be parents. Just like leaving your toddler at home alone while you go to the club and get your drink on. There are to many people that can't have children that would love to have a baby and treat them like a precious gift. Which is what children are.

benesk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages benesk
bifaerie79 wrote:SO not overreacting! I took my baby in EVERY time. I would never leave anyone that's not big enough to defend themselves alone in a car. Ever. People that leave their kids alone in a car suck big time. Poor kids. Sheesh!

I will NEVER leave my twins in the car. and in infant seats, you don't even have to disturb the baby. just unclick the blasted seat.

benesk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages benesk
lstaff wrote:Fyi, that child is not properly restrained in that carseat.

I have these carseats, it looks to me like all the straps are tight enough... so as a soon to be parent: please explain what wrong so I don't put my twins in harm

animalcracker

quality posts: 2 Private Messages animalcracker
benesk wrote:I have these carseats, it looks to me like all the straps are tight enough... so as a soon to be parent: please explain what wrong so I don't put my twins in harm

The chest clip should sit at armpit level. This one is buckled too low.

animalcracker

quality posts: 2 Private Messages animalcracker

Here in Utah it can get very cold and very hot in a car. We have had several babies die from hyper and hypo-thermia (that's too hot and too cold). If you leave a baby alone in a vehical here it will be surrounded and windows will often be broken to rescue your child from the car and you will be arrested for neglecting a child.

agirloutthere

quality posts: 0 Private Messages agirloutthere

I don't see the note on the chest, that was referred to in the story. I wonder if this photo/story is true. Anyway, if she left a note with her number, and was gone for a long time, that's inappropriate. I don't condone leaving kiddos in the car, but I certainly understand, esp with multiples that it can get chaotic enough that when the newest one is sleeping, it seems that one could forget. I grew up in a very small town and I remember frequently being left in the car while mom or dad ran into the drugstore or the post office, etc. So again, I don't condone the practice, but I do think at times we should extend some grace. One thing that might help, one thing that each of us can do: when you see a parent struggling with multiple kids, bags, strollers, etc, offer to help, open a door, grab a cart for her.

marigo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages marigo
agirloutthere wrote:I grew up in a very small town and I remember frequently being left in the car while mom or dad ran into the drugstore or the post office, etc. So again, I don't condone the practice, but I do think at times we should extend some grace. One thing that might help, one thing that each of us can do: when you see a parent struggling with multiple kids, bags, strollers, etc, offer to help, open a door, grab a cart for her.

As a mother of three, I appreciate any and all offers to help. And, I try to offer help to other parents who look overwhelmed. However, I don't think your argument works. If you were old enough to remember being left in the car, you were probably 5 years or older. A bit different than the infant in the story. I bet you would have been able to roll the windows down if you were too hot in the car? A baby can't.

Also, like car seats (I was one of those kids rolling around in the back seat of the car with no child seats, too) it is simply no longer an option to leave your child in the car. In most states, it's illegal. Maybe it's not enforced, but if you do, you're breaking the law.

mjc613

quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613

I understand being tempted to do this, especially since the baby was sleeping. But she still messed up. It was wrong. What was really weird is that the police didn't give her a ticket!

And btw, here is a picture of the baby in question, with the note on the carrier, through the car window.