jqubed

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jqubed

Brackets are locked! Check the standings here!
tl;dr: go to http://ebwoot.mayhem.cbssports.com/e and use the password ebw to join our bracket contest.

Ah, March: a time of hope, renewal, and madness; a time when 68 teams enter a tournament full of hope, and 67 of those teams see their hope dashed in anguish, renewing their cries of "we'll get it next year". But one team… one team will survive against 6 other opponents (because who are we kidding, there's no way the "round 1" teams go all the way) to remain undefeated in the grandest tournament of collegiate athletics (*cough* we're glaring at you, college football). Survive and Advance, Win or Go Home. Sharing in this spectacle are millions of fans and non-fans who try to guess the outcome of all 67 games (or 63 in this league). This year the task of guessing appears to be harder than ever, as week after week during the season the team experts declared to be the best in the nation lost to teams they really shouldn't have, often more than once. The term "parity" has been bandied about frequently and means that this year more than any other no game is a gimme. Which games will be the upsets? Will this be the year a 16 seed upsets a 1 seed? On the other hand, knowing things will (should) be crazy this year, will more people pick crazy upsets that turn out to be correct? Or will the committee have somehow pierced the fog and every seeding works out correctly? In theory, anything is possible, but if the theories always panned out no one would play the games.

You're getting long-winded jqubed. How do we play?

Oh, right. For the sixth year in a row, we're playing on CBS's game. Go to http://ebwoot.mayhem.cbssports.com/e to join our group. You'll need to register or sign-in to your CBS Sports account, then enter the password 'ebw' (do not include the quotation marks) to join our group. If you've played with us in years past you can skip this step; you're still in the system (unless it's been a few years since you played with us and I deleted you from the group so it would stop cluttering things up). If you're registering with us for the first time, I STRONGLY recommend you create an account using your Woot username and an email address which won't personally identify you, because I see everyone's email address (I promise to do nothing nefarious) and everyone can see the username you use. If you already have an account on CBS using your real name I'd still suggest creating another account so you don't reveal to us that you're really Clark Kent.
Once you've joined click the link to Add a Bracket. The process is very simple: just click the team you think will win each game and the next round is automatically set up for you. Do that for all 63 games and you're ready to go! If you want to involve a little logic, click the "i" next to each game for a head-to-head comparison of each team. If you want to be involved but want to do the absolute minimum of work there's even a button where the computer will fill out your bracket for you. You can also fill out 2 brackets, so you can have one fantasy bracket where your alma mater goes off and beats everyone, and one where you live in reality and recognize that your alma mater actually has a losing record and is only in the tournament because they won their conference tournament, securing the automatic bid (I'm looking at you, Liberty).

Ok jqubed, you've made something simple sound complicated, but I'm still going to try. When's the due date?

Get your brackets filled out before noon eastern time on Thursday, March 21. Once the games start, the brackets lock and you can't change your picks, so choose carefully!

So at work they do something like this but charge $5 to play and the winner gets everyone else's money. Do I have to pay to play? Will I win anything if I come in first?

No and no. This costs you nothing (other than whatever you spend to be online anyway) and you also get nothing for winning (other than our respect and admiration (lol, yeah, right!)). Well, technically, you may be eligible for some prizes from CBS if your bracket not only beats us but everyone else on the entire CBS website. I don't think anyone's ever come close to doing that in our group, though. If you're interested in those kind of prizes, you should probably sign up with as many different tournaments as you can, like on ESPN, Yahoo! Sports, or the NCAA themselves.

I don't really like or follow basketball, so I shouldn't do this, right?

Wrong! You especially should do this! No one's verifiably picked a correct bracket before and many so-called experts don't do any better than people who aren't even sure how basketball is played. You'll feel a little more involved in the tournament and connected with people around you who do care, and if you do better than people who care you can taunt them and feel smug, because that's a healthy way to live life.

So go, start picking your teams and then watch as your bracket busts. Just hope your bracket busts less badly than everyone else's and let the trash talk begin below!

ⅉℚ Seventh Annual Woot! Bracketology | I'm Quality Peoples!

Skye — 1997-2007

jqubed

As you prepare, perhaps you'd like to peruse our previous contests:

Skye — 1997-2007

jqubed

Get your picks in! Less than 8 hours until the brackets lock!

Skye — 1997-2007

kenney9226

quality posts: 6 Private Messages kenney9226

It is with great regret that I must report that my old internet browser at work is not compatible with the CBS sports bracket machine this year.

So I will not be able to make my picks this year.

Happily, I can still brag that I had won this thing two out of the last three years, and I'm taking a year off to let the rest of you all have a chance.

Have a great Tourney, wooters!

-"The Real Kenney9226"

jqubed

kenney9226 wrote:It is with great regret that I must report that my old internet browser at work is not compatible with the CBS sports bracket machine this year.

So I will not be able to make my picks this year.

Happily, I can still brag that I had won this thing two out of the last three years, and I'm taking a year off to let the rest of you all have a chance.

Have a great Tourney, wooters!

-"The Real Kenney9226"

Yes, we don't need you mucking things up.

Actually I could enter picks for you still if you were to, say, post a legible picture of a bracket you filled out elsewhere or by hand. But I'd need to see it here before the first game ends.

Skye — 1997-2007

kenney9226

jqubed wrote:Yes, we don't need you mucking things up.

Actually I could enter picks for you still if you were to, say, post a legible picture of a bracket you filled out elsewhere or by hand. But I'd need to see it here before the first game ends.

Cool, thanks!

My picks this year for the woot bracketology are:

Round 1: All the odd-numbered seeded teams, except let all the 2nd seeded teams win.

Round 2: All higher-ranked (lower-numbered) odd-numbered seeded teams win, even the 7-seeded teams over the 2-seeded teams that emerged from the first round.

Round 3 & 4: The higher-remaining seeded team (odd numbers, obviously) makes it through to a final four of:

Louisville, Gonzaga, Kansas, Indiana

Championship game: Gonzaga beats Kansas 75-73.

"And that's how the magic happens!"

jqubed

kenney9226 wrote:Cool, thanks!

My picks this year for the woot bracketology are:

Round 1: All the odd-numbered seeded teams, except let all the 2nd seeded teams win.

Round 2: All higher-ranked (lower-numbered) odd-numbered seeded teams win, even the 7-seeded teams over the 2-seeded teams that emerged from the first round.

Round 3 & 4: The higher-remaining seeded team (odd numbers, obviously) makes it through to a final four of:

Louisville, Gonzaga, Kansas, Indiana

Championship game: Gonzaga beats Kansas 75-73.

"And that's how the magic happens!"

Oooookkkaaaaayyyy then

Does this look right?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Skye — 1997-2007

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1

oh man, my brackets already look like crap.

jqubed

no1 wrote:oh man, my brackets already look like crap.

Same here. I spent many hours last night working on mine, and I'm not doing much better than Kenney's system which seems like it took just a few minutes to come up with. No offense, Kenney.

Skye — 1997-2007

pooflady

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady
jqubed wrote:Same here. I spent many hours last night working on mine, and I'm not doing much better than Kenney's system which seems like it took just a few minutes to come up with. No offense, Kenney.

Harvard won!?!?!? Who would have guessed?

The biggest lie that I tell myself daily..."I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it."

kenney9226

jqubed wrote:Same here. I spent many hours last night working on mine, and I'm not doing much better than Kenney's system which seems like it took just a few minutes to come up with. No offense, Kenney.

I think you meant "no offense NEW MEXICO?"

Or maybe it was lack of defense?

I love all my odd picks!

Thank you jqubed!

jqubed

Our standings after the first day of play:

(Rank Player Points)
1 Brian Morris 13
1 Pooflady (2) 13
3 jessica alba (2) 12
3 Pooflady 12
5 Brian Morris (2) 11
5 Josephus 11
5 poofguy 11
5 SkekTek 11
5 SkekTek (2) 11
5 Tennisplayer121 11
5 Turken (2) 11
12 Cruzer 10
12 jessica alba 10
12 Turken 10
15 Josephus (2) 9
15 jqubed 9
15 jqubed (2)
18 The Real Kenney9226 6

Skye — 1997-2007

no1

oh well, at least i'm still ahead of josephus.

jqubed

Heading into the Sweet 16 our standings are:

(Rank Player Points)
1 Pooflady 47
2 Brian Morris 44
3 Pooflady (2) 43
4 Brian Morris (2) 41
4 Cruzer 41
4 poofguy 41
7 jessica alba (2) 40
8 Josephus 39
8 Turken (2) 39
10 jessica alba 38
10 jqubed 38
10 Tennisplayer121 38
13 SkekTek 37
13 Turken 37
15 jqubed (2) 36
16 Josephus (2) 35
17 SkekTek (2) 31
18 The Real Kenney9226 30

No one's out yet, although Turken, Josephus (2), and Kenney9226 all picked Gonzaga to win so they're out on picking the national Champion (Gonzaga was eliminated in the round of 32 by 9-seed Wichita State).

Skye — 1997-2007

jqubed

Heading into the Final Four, only 6 brackets are still active with a chance to score more points: both from Brian Morris, Pooflady #1, Josephus #1, Jessica Alba #1 (which oddly has fewer points than Jessica Alba #2, but has the potential to surpass #2 if any of no1's- I mean Ms. Alba's picks pan out), and SkekTek #2, which is in the same situation as Jessica Alba #1.

No one got all the teams in the Final Four correct, but only 47 of the 8.15 million brackets on ESPN's game got it right so we're not alone.

Making no further progress after today are Cruzer, Jessica Alba #2, Pooflady #2, SkekTek #1, jqubed #1, Poofguy, Turken #1, jqubed #2, Kenney9226, Josephus #2, Turken #2, and Tennisplayer121.

The standings heading into the Final Four:

(Rank Player Points)
1 Brian Morris 72
2 Pooflady 67
3 Brian Morris (2) 65
3 Cruzer 65
5 jessica alba (2) 64
6 Pooflady (2) 63
7 Josephus 59
8 jessica alba 58
9 SkekTek 57
10 jqubed 54
11 poofguy 53
11 Turken 53
13 jqubed (2) 52
14 The Real Kenney9226 50
15 Josephus (2) 47
15 SkekTek (2) 47
15 Turken (2) 47
18 Tennisplayer121 46

And finally, spare a thought or prayer for Kevin Ware, the Louisville player who suffered a horrifying leg break in today's game against Duke. I won't post a link to the video here because it's gruesome, but if you haven't seen it and your curiosity gets the best of you a quick YouTube search will surely lead you to the clip. College basketball is supposed to be a bit of fun and entertainment for the players and fans, but sometimes accidents happen. I wish him a speedy recovery and hope he is able to return to the game someday.

Skye — 1997-2007

jqubed

Heading into tonight's championship game our standings are:

(Rank Player Points)
1 Brian Morris 88
2 Pooflady 83
3 Brian Morris (2) 81
4 Josephus 75
5 jessica alba 74
6 Cruzer 65
7 jessica alba (2) 64
8 Pooflady (2) 63
8 SkekTek (2) 63
10 SkekTek 57
11 jqubed 54
12 poofguy 53
12 Turken 53
14 jqubed (2) 52
15 The Real Kenney9226 50
16 Josephus (2) 47
16 Turken (2) 47
18 Tennisplayer121 46

Nobody picked Michigan to win, so if they do our standings will stay the same. Four brackets picked Louisville to win; if they do the standings and points will change slightly. Brian Morris will win either way, so congratulations on winning two years in a row!

Skye — 1997-2007

no1

jqubed wrote:Nobody picked Michigan to win, so if they do our standings will stay the same. Four brackets picked Louisville to win; if they do the standings and points will change slightly. Brian Morris will win either way, so congratulations on winning two years in a row!

yes, congrats to brian ... uh, who is brian morris, anyway?

l-ville must win ... MUST DEFEAT JOSEPHUS.

pooflady

no1 wrote:yes, congrats to brian ... uh, who is brian morris, anyway?

l-ville must win ... MUST DEFEAT JOSEPHUS.

Yeah, I'd like to know who Brian Morris is, too. I've figured out Jessica and I know everybody else.

The biggest lie that I tell myself daily..."I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it."

jqubed

Our final standings:

(Rank Player Points)
1 Brian Morris 120
2 Pooflady 115
3 Brian Morris (2) 113
4 jessica alba 106
5 Josephus 75
6 Cruzer 65
7 jessica alba (2) 64
8 Pooflady (2) 63
8 SkekTek (2) 63
10 SkekTek 57
11 jqubed 54
12 poofguy 53
12 Turken 53
14 jqubed (2) 52
16 Josephus (2) 47
16 Turken (2) 47
18 Tennisplayer121 46

Congratulations again to Brian Morris, whoever you are, for winning two years in a row! Congratulations also to Brian Morris and Pooflady for both guessing the most outcomes correctly (one of Poof's came in an earlier round than Mr. Morris's, which is why she has fewer points than him)!

Skye — 1997-2007

pooflady

jqubed wrote:Our final standings:

(Rank Player Points)
1 Brian Morris 120
2 Pooflady 115
3 Brian Morris (2) 113
4 jessica alba 106
5 Josephus 75
6 Cruzer 65
7 jessica alba (2) 64
8 Pooflady (2) 63
8 SkekTek (2) 63
10 SkekTek 57
11 jqubed 54
12 poofguy 53
12 Turken 53
14 jqubed (2) 52
16 Josephus (2) 47
16 Turken (2) 47
18 Tennisplayer121 46

Congratulations again to Brian Morris, whoever you are, for winning two years in a row! Congratulations also to Brian Morris and Pooflady for both guessing the most outcomes correctly (one of Poof's came in an earlier round than Mr. Morris's, which is why she has fewer points than him)!

Thanks for running it again, jq.