WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Most important thing to learn before starting Kindergarten?
  • 6% - ABCs 90
  • 1.5% - 123s 22
  • 2.7% - Colors 41
  • 1% - Shapes 15
  • 83.2% - All of the above 1250
  • 5.7% - Something else (comments, please) 85
1503 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

BlackCreekBearTRP1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BlackCreekBearTRP1

How to use the Toilet

labyrinthia

quality posts: 15 Private Messages labyrinthia

Most of the k teachers I've spoken with seem mostly concerned with the child being able to separate from the parent and function in a classroom environment socially/behaviorally (follow basic rules, directions, interact appropriately with others, etc). The insinuation being that some kids are showing up without these skills, not due to a disability but rather due to not having any sort of pre kindergarten type experience. These are kids going into urban, full day, academic focused schools. It may be different in schools where kindergarten isn't 'the new first grade'.

So, basically, some sort of preschool experience- even if it's just sunday school or library story & craft time.

azmensan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages azmensan

Don't eat the paste

bblhed

quality posts: 7 Private Messages bblhed

Be Potty trained and have at least some ability to read.

earthmolder

quality posts: 0 Private Messages earthmolder

This is my area if expertise. Studies show thàt children who enter school with more knowledge than their peers are only ahead for a short time. All of the choices listed can easily be taught in kindergarten, although great for families to work on some skills with kids to help them to be able to better communicate and understand their world. The best skills for a young child to develop are a positive self concept, love of learning, and social abilities. These are the foundations that encourage more positive growth and healthy learning.

MISRy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MISRy

Parents name, other than "Daddy" or "Mommy".
Address
Phone number(s)
More basic skills, (ABC's, 123's) have to be developed to get to that point.

dick40

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dick40

How to wipe my nose on someones elses sleeve!

philosopherott

quality posts: 3 Private Messages philosopherott

how to use the potty

olperfesser

quality posts: 2 Private Messages olperfesser

Social skills

ambergreen

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ambergreen
BlackCreekBearTRP1 wrote:How to use the Toilet

This

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Back in the 50's (well 1959) this was the only thing kids knew before starting kindergarten.

We learned colors in kindergarten! W the heck were parents doing back then?

I loved kindergarten! Half day of play! Kitchen set! Paint station! Books! We weren't allowed to play with the boy toys (wood blocks). Boys weren't allowed to play with the girl toys (kitchen set, doll stuff).

I remember the layout of the room.

My friend, Diane, and I would sneak off the line going up stairs to the classroom, and run up to the roof. Look out the window. Run back down and get on the end of the line.

The shop teacher yelled at us once for running back and forth between two water fountains outside the shop room.

We went back and tattled on him to our teacher! We were little. He can't yell at us!

I use to try to kiss my cousin, who was in the other kindergarten class, every time the two classes would get together.

He is still not talking to me because of that. It has only been 54 years. Guess I need to give him more time.

I am soooooo glad the catholic school kindergarten was full and I had to go to public school that year!

Best year of my life!

I really need to call Diane and meet for lunch.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

trucker743

quality posts: 0 Private Messages trucker743

How to get along with other kids.

paulpnevada

quality posts: 26 Private Messages paulpnevada

Can't start safety training too early. Pre-K kids need to know their name, parent's names, phone number, address. They also need to be aware of stranger danger, etc.

http://youtu.be/wIEBrb_wRYc

Mommy and Daddy can't be there with them everywhere all the time.

workinpoor

quality posts: 15 Private Messages workinpoor

This, and to behave/respect authority at least enough to learn something.

fes

quality posts: 7 Private Messages fes

how to talk.

mrsque

quality posts: 5 Private Messages mrsque
MISRy wrote:Parents name, other than "Daddy" or "Mommy".
Address
Phone number(s)
More basic skills, (ABC's, 123's) have to be developed to get to that point.

this is what I was going to say

*I* have FIVE Quality Posts! no, seriously...how did that happen?!

cmbrose

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cmbrose

Speaking as a teacher that gets tired of doing it 50 plus times a day.... How to tie your shoes. The rest I can get too, but it really is a pain to tie shoes all day long.

shari313

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shari313

my vote is for obedience... a teacher can teach, but a child has to be able to listen and obey for anything to be accomplished. not like a robot or anything, just a basic ability to listen and follow directions.

crossedcrowns

quality posts: 3 Private Messages crossedcrowns

The most important thing to learn before kindergarten is... Not to go. Homeschooling is really the best. My kids learn(ed) at home, with a cyber school, and before that was an option, we did a correspondence school program, and I actually get compliments on my teenagers, who are relaxed, happy, and volunteer. Do read the latest studies on the teenage brain, and why the reactions we have at that time in our lives will stay with us fot the rest of our lives. And, as the kissin' cousin reminds us, the early days will stay, as well. My kindergarten teacher was a sweetie, but she had a brain tumor that they found only after we complained about her mood swings, God rest her soul.

pinot62

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pinot62

Independent toileting including appropriate hand washing, how to follow directions and how to put on and take off their coat and shoes.

fuzzypeaches

quality posts: 10 Private Messages fuzzypeaches

Social skills.

10 quality post! Whoo hoo! I'M SOMEBODY!!!

hwalsh10284

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hwalsh10284

How to manipulate the teacher.

wmadaughter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wmadaughter

To listen to and follow basic instructions.

curtisuxor

quality posts: 56 Private Messages curtisuxor

You can pick your nose and you can pick your friends, but you can't pick your friends' noses.

hollyons

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hollyons

They should know that Kindergarten is not required in most states....STAY HOME FOR ANOTHER YEAR AND LIVE THE GOOD LIFE!

toadett10

quality posts: 0 Private Messages toadett10

Manners, using toilet, first and last names, respect for adults

lisadiana

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lisadiana

Play!